Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Paula60 wrote: »
    When I got my visa debit card I was not told I'd be charged 5 or 15 euros referral fees if I went over my limit.
    -Doctor it hurts when I do this.
    -Don't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

No they did not tell me I would be charged 15e if I went 8 euros over my balance. They are worst than money lenders. 150% PROFIT

banks are robbers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No they did not tell me I would be charged 15e if I went 8 euros over my balance. They are worst than money lenders. 150% PROFIT

banks are robbers

Okey dokey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

banks are robbers

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/media/permanenttsb/pdfdocuments/Everyday-bank-account-charges.pdf

Page 5:
    Referral items
    When cheques or debits are presented for payment and there
    are insufficient cleared funds at the time of presentation in an
    account to meet the debit(s), a referral fee will be applied that
    day or the next working day.
    • Referral fee – per item €5 (up to €15 maximum a day)

jaffa20 wrote: »

I would wager that Paula60 is going to post and say she was not "told" this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

I wanted a Visa Debit card as wanted internet buying ability plus Visa more globally recognised. Wanted to join PTSB for the Visa Debit but none in my area so had to join Ulster Bank. Ulster Bank gave me an account right away, my Visa Debit card arrived in the post 4 days later and the pin number arrived in the post about 2 or 3 days later. I'm now buying stuff off the net without having to get myself in instant debt because I'm spending my money and not the credit companies. I love it. Credit cards can go kiss my Debit cards 0% interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

illicit007 wrote: »
    I love it. Credit cards can go kiss my Debit cards 0% interest.
    Which would be difficult for them to charge as they don't actually extend you any credit.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Which would be difficult for them to charge as they don't actually extend you any credit.

Well if you have an overdraft they would.

But then you would be charged OD interest rates.

I guess the person means 0% interest because they are spending their own money and using the laser debit like a credit card...?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

When I logged in to "Open 24" yesterday I noticed that my new Visa Debit card has been issued but I've not yet received it.

I wouldn't mind one bit except that it was issued on SEPTEMBER 24, 2010 and the website is asking me to activate it - something I cannot do since I don't yet have it.

Their website says your old card will be cancelled 30 days after the new one is issued - this deadline has passed for me now but there's nothing I can do.

My cousin's Laser card was declined today, causing major embarrassment for her. She definately had enough money in her account to cover the transaction - when we checked her "Open 24" account, it shows that her new card has also been "issued" more than 30 days ago - the O24 call centre told her that her Laser was cancelled on October 19.

I haven't used my Laser for a couple of weeks but need to tomorrow.

Has anyone else had delays in receiving the new card / has your old card been cancelled BEFORE you got the new one ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

amdublin wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

wtf?

Paula has a point, you're probably one of these that is with BoI because his Daddy and Grandparents were with them.

Whyever anyone would want to be with the big two and pay fees (unless you perform certain actions) mystifies me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

When I logged in to "Open 24" yesterday I noticed that my new Visa Debit card has been issued but I've not yet received it.

I wouldn't mind one bit except that it was issued on SEPTEMBER 24, 2010 and the website is asking me to activate it - something I cannot do since I don't yet have it.

Their website says your old card will be cancelled 30 days after the new one is issued - this deadline has passed for me now but there's nothing I can do.

My cousin's Laser card was declined today, causing major embarrassment for her. She definately had enough money in her account to cover the transaction - when we checked her "Open 24" account, it shows that her new card has also been "issued" more than 30 days ago - the O24 call centre told her that her Laser was cancelled on October 19.

I haven't used my Laser for a couple of weeks but need to tomorrow.

Has anyone else had delays in receiving the new card / has your old card been cancelled BEFORE you got the new one ???

Yeah, still waiting on the new Visa Debit card. However, I'm still able to use my Laser card at present.

I was told during the summer that PTSB would issue the Visa Debit card from September, so what's the hold up? :confused:

wtf?

Paula has a point, you're probably one of these that is with BoI because his Daddy and Grandparents were with them.

Whyever anyone would want to be with the big two and pay fees (unless you perform certain actions) mystifies me.

Did you read the whole thread?

Yes Paula has alot of points actually - and all of them are about how she mismanaged her finances/debit card and was charged fees for her errrors/actions. (Fees which are clearly laid out in t&c's. And frankly transactions which are just common sense not to do ie. don't spend more money than you actually have).

As for me, I am with ptsb.
    I would have thought that would have been obvious from my posts.
    And yes, I am very happy that they have eventually given up on laser and moved over to visa debit.

I don't know where you got the impression I was with BOI on a thread discussing the PTSB visa debit card.

Did you read the whole thread?

Yes Paula has alot of points actually - and all of them are about how she mismanaged her finances/debit card and was charged fees for her errrors/actions. (Fees which are clearly laid out in t&c's. And frankly transactions which are just common sense not to do ie. don't spend more money than you actually have).

As for me, I am with ptsb.
    I would have thought that would have been obvious from my posts.
    And yes, I am very happy that they have eventually given up on laser and moved over to visa debit.

I don't know where you got the impression I was with BOI on a thread discussing the PTSB visa debit card.

Yes, I did read the whole thread. I missed you pointing out that you are with PTSB,

Paula's issues are nothing to do with the point I made to you.

I was not told that I could overdraw with my visa debit. I thought it was the same as my atm card-only I could use it online or in the shops being the only difference. I will be handing it back on tuesday as I'm at the lost of at least 200e, and will be going to the Ulster Bank. PTSB a complete rip off anyway. Staff, also are very unpleasant as you all know.

I will be handing it back on tuesday as I'm at the lost of at least 200e, and will be going to the Ulster Bank. PTSB a complete rip off anyway. Staff, also are very unpleasant as you all know.

Good luck with Ulster Bank Paula60. I hope things go better for you with them.

I find the ptsb staff very nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I find the ptsb staff very nice actually.

+1(000!), usually very helpful.

Well I've printed out all my statements and rang the number provided on their site. Financial Services Ombudsman’s Bureau
    3rd Floor, Lincoln House
    Lincoln Place, Dublin 2
    Lo Call: 1890 882090
    Tel: (01) 662 0899

I was given a visa debit card and was not explained anything about it.
    I rang a member of ptsb and they were very rude, but I expected that anyway.
    Let's hope I get my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I got a pamphlet with my card explaining exactly how the card works, the differences from ATM and Laser cards and the charges associated with the cards. I find it very hard to believe you would not have gotten the same. I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Word of warning on these Cards guys. I was in Amsterdam at the weekend and the hotel twice incorrectly charged me for my room. Basically charged me 1500 in total instead of 600. The problem with visa debit cards is that (unlike VISA) when they refunded the money it takes 3-5 working days to get the cash back in your account. so I was left with a big fat zero in my account to pay for the hotel in the end. Only for Friends I'd have been stuck in Amsterdam with no cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Word of warning on these Cards guys. I was in Amsterdam at the weekend and the hotel twice incorrectly charged me for my room.
    Should that not be "word of warning on these hotels"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Savman wrote: »
    Should that not be "word of warning on these hotels"?

True but it's still something to be aware of..if it was an actual Visa the refund would have been instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

True but it's still something to be aware of..if it was an actual Visa the refund would have been instantaneous.

Anytime I have had money refunded onto my credit card it takes a few day's. Never instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As above, that's incorrect. There is no difference in refund timelines between Visa credit/debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 legoboy

Just a word of warning to people who have recieved the new Permanent Tsb visa debit card, you will get charged an additional fee every time you use an ATM in Northern Ireland and UK. I was charged four times last week using my new visa debit card, it didn't matter that i used AIB and Bank of Ireland Atm machines, i complained to permanent tsb and was very rudely told that this was their new policy, i argued that i had never this problem with my old laser card and i had been using it regularly in the north for the last 7 or 8 years, they had the cheek to suggest that maybe i had been undercharged for all those transactions, i have been with Permanent Tsb for 15 years but i am gonna switch banks as soon as i can, their new policy and their customer attitude is appalling.. Good riddance...

Correct me if I'm wrong but there has always been an additional charge for using your atm card (laser/visa debit etc) abroad??

I don't need "a word of warning" I would always have assumed there is a charge for using it in the UK or N Ireland??

That's what the ptsb are. I've been with them since 1995. The are robbers. No customer service.

That's what the ptsb are. I've been with them since 1995. The are robbers. No customer service.

:eek:
    So for 15 years they've been "robbing you" and you are only moving now

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 legoboy

'You assumed wrong' If you had read my message properly you would have seen that i said there has never been a charge to use southern laser/debit cards in northern ireland, well at least that is if you use the irish based banks atms there , i have been using laser/debit cards for last 10 years in irish banks atms in northern ireland, it is only in last few weeks that this charge has suddenly come in.

Word of warning on these Cards guys. I was in Amsterdam at the weekend and the hotel twice incorrectly charged me for my room. Basically charged me 1500 in total instead of 600. The problem with visa debit cards is that (unlike VISA) when they refunded the money it takes 3-5 working days to get the cash back in your account. so I was left with a big fat zero in my account to pay for the hotel in the end. Only for Friends I'd have been stuck in Amsterdam with no cash.

That is also true...it has happened to me also (pretty sure that I mentioned it elsewhere before), it is because you have the Visa system and then the bank's own system to pass back through and that is the cause of the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GetScraped

As everyone knows, Paypal doesn't accept Laser.

Ulster Bank use Visa Debit cards, I'm still in secondary school though, so I can't apply for an account with them.

Permanent TSB offer Visa Debit cards to Teenagers, it's great.
    I'm only 17, and I can get one with a Teen account.

Opening an account with them today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement