Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

am_sunny wrote: »
    Got my ulster bank visa debit recently. Going to Oz and think it would be easier to have a visa debit instead of a laser card. Anyone have any experience of using the card abroad? Fees, etc?

I've just come back from East Asia and Oz (trip of a lifetime and now skint!), my UB card worked everywhere. Fees as same as they were for UB Laser.
    www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/roi/Guide_to_Personal_Account_Fees_and_Interest.pdf Page 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Is there like a 24 hour waiting period before you can use the card??:confused:

It also doesn't work with paypal.
    Got mine during the week and used paypal the following day with no problems to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Anyone know of a bank that does ATM cards that cannot be used online?

Everyone seems to be moving to VISA debit cards and not giving the customer any choice in the matter. I've received one from the Permanent TSB and one from the Ulster Bank and I want neither. My ATM card was swallowed by a PTSB machine today and the teller in the branch told me that it cannot be used anymore. My Ulsterbank card is also due a similar fate.

I just want a simple ATM card that does not do Laser or online transactions.

Anyone know of such a bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Páid wrote: »
    Anyone know of a bank that does ATM cards that cannot be used online?

Everyone seems to be moving to VISA debit cards and not giving the customer any choice in the matter. I've received one from the Permanent TSB and one from the Ulster Bank and I want neither. My ATM card was swallowed by a PTSB machine today and the teller in the branch told me that it cannot be used anymore. My Ulsterbank card is also due a similar fate.

I just want a simple ATM card that does not do Laser or online transactions.

Anyone know of such a bank?

Um no one is forcing you to use it online :confused:

Just don't use it online and you have a "a simple ATM card that does not do Laser or online transactions"

Um. I know how to not use it online.

They are still capable of being used online and as Laser cards.

• Advertisement

Again:
    amdublin wrote: »
    Just don't use it online and you have a "a simple ATM card that does not do Laser or online transactions"

No?

My old ATM cards can only be used as ATM cards. They cannot be used online or as a Laser card. This is the type of card I'm looking for.

I do not want a card that can be used online or as a Laser card. Are there any banks left that use a simple ATM card?

I do not want a card that can be used online or as a Laser card.

Why? (I'm confused!)
    Are there any banks left that use a simple ATM card?

Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My old ATM cards can only be used as ATM cards. They cannot be used online or as a Laser card. This is the type of card I'm looking for.

I do not want a card that can be used online or as a Laser card. Are there any banks left that use a simple ATM card?

If I was working for a bank and you asked for a card that can't be used online, I'd give you a Visa debit and say yours is special.

You'd go away happy knowing you won't even try it online

I would leave without the card after explaining to your line manager that you tried to deceive a customer.

I find it worrying that all of the major banks have moved recently to debit cards without giving their customers the chance to opt out. Either use a VISA/MAESTRO debit card or you can't get at your cash without going into a bank to withdraw it.

Besides, these cards a much more expensive if you are purchasing outside the Eurozone online or using a foreign ATM. And if you think these cards will put one dent in the €17m online fraud in Ireland every year, you're more deluded than Fingers Fingleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

Hi,

I got one of these new cards in the post this week to replace my laser card.

I also have a credit card. Can I now get rid of my credit card? Do these new Debit cards work on all websites like Ryanair, amazon, sendit, ebay, etc.....

I know you have to have money in the bank for the debit card but at least I would not have the 40 euro a year charge....

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Excellent question - i was thinking similar myself, it does say VISA on the card!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Don't think so it's a VISA DEBIT card!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It will be accepted pretty much anywhere that Visa credit cards are, online and offline.

The only advantage I can see of a credit card over these (and I can see plenty of debit card advantages) is when booking into a hotel who pre-authorise the card for a certain amount. If the debit card is pre-authorised for, say, $300 then you wouldn't have access to that cash before checking out.

Obviously you wouldn't have access to with your credit card either but as long as your $300 under your max, I wouldn't see it as an issue. Small thing

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BOI will still issue you with a standard ATM card if you request it. When you open an account there's a choice between Laser or just ATM card.

I would have thought any bank would do this if you asked.

Just checked, and PTSB are the same. In fact you have to 'qualify' for their Visa Debit card (A friend works there, she said people have to show 'activity' on the account before applying for it - I didn't get into too much detail about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Strange that you to apply for a debit card. I thought we were supposed to use less cash so how does giving out ATM cards help with that. Ulster Bank will not give out ATM cards except on some of their savings accounts. I got a debit card in place of my ATM card in October - without even asking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Dodge wrote: »
    The only advantage I can see of a credit card over these (and I can see plenty of debit card advantages) is when booking into a hotel who pre-authorise the card for a certain amount. If the debit card is pre-authorised for, say, $300 then you wouldn't have access to that cash before checking out.

Obviously you wouldn't have access to with your credit card either but as long as your $300 under your max, I wouldn't see it as an issue. Small thing

Its actually worse than this - I used PTSB visa debit card on checking into hotel they pre-authorised room rate & deposit for 190EUR
    The following day on checkout they charged card with 120EUR room rate.

The 190EUR they pre-authorised was on "hold" and could not be accessed in my account for over a week even though the bill from the hotel went through @ 120EUR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

Dodge wrote: »
    Just checked, and PTSB are the same. In fact you have to 'qualify' for their Visa Debit card (A friend works there, she said people have to show 'activity' on the account before applying for it - I didn't get into too much detail about it)

Well that makes sense now. When I opened my PTSB account last month, the woman doing it for me looked at my old child account which hasn't been used in years (because I moved to BoI for a Laser Card) and asked me 'if I was going to use this account' which I thought was a snarky comment, but looks like it was just to make sure I qualify or something. She gave me the card though, with no activity for more than 4 years on the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

Another thing with these cards you cannot get cash back in a shop.
    What

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Trampas

What

I am always asked if I want cash back with visa debit

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

What

Some shops may not have updated their systems, other shops may have a policy not to offer cash back.

I have only been to one shop that has not offered cash back as their "system had not been updated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

there is a cashback option with VISA DEBIT. there is an issue with a few stores on old pos machines but these are few and far between apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Its actually worse than this - I used PTSB visa debit card on checking into hotel they pre-authorised room rate & deposit for 190EUR
    The following day on checkout they charged card with 120EUR room rate.

The 190EUR they pre-authorised was on "hold" and could not be accessed in my account for over a week even though the bill from the hotel went through @ 120EUR!!

This is true. There is a lot of problems with paying for hotels with these cards because they hold onto an indeterminant amount of your money for an indeterminant amount of time. It floats in money cyber space and collect
    interest, the merchant keeps the interest and then gives your money back.

It should be illegal but its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

They sent me one but I never got it and low and behold when I was in London the god damned machine ate my laser and I was left in london with a three year old and no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Wow!

I have posted about how happy I was with this card and TSB many times but that changed today.

Earlier this week I went down to just €4 on my account and that was no problem as wasn't expecting any DDs or anything.

Except I was really and I had just forgot that one DD was due to hit on the 12th for €20 :o

So, €10 DD charge and €5 Referral (don't see why they don't just charge the €10) but my own fault and so no real complaints there.

Then I log into my online account today and see another €80 worth of Referral Fees - but no more transactions :confused:

I phone them up and what they tell me is that, because I had four or five frozen transactions that only hit after the €10 + €5 charge, there is a further €10 charge for each transaction (even though the money for them was frozen from an available balance at the time).

So that means: if say you used your card 20 times one day and all the money is available in your account ('just') and then the next or the same day a DD hits which your balance can't cover, which you get charged the €10 for (rightly so of course) - they will still charge you referral fees for all 20 of the previous days transactions whenever they hit your account, despite the fact that the money was 'frozen' and available at the time of those transactions.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Ouch, im fortunate that i somehow managed to get an overdraft on it; So going into the red isnt too painfull

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Wow!

I have posted about how happy I was with this card and TSB many times but that changed today.

Earlier this week I went down to just €4 on my account and that was no problem as wasn't expecting any DDs or anything.

Except I was really and I had just forgot that one DD was due to hit on the 12th for €20 :o

So, €10 DD charge and €5 Referral (don't see why they don't just charge the €10) but my own fault and so no real complaints there.

Then I log into my online account today and see another €80 worth of Referral Fees - but no more transactions :confused:

I phone them up and what they tell me is that, because I had four or five frozen transactions that only hit after the €10 + €5 charge, there is a further €10 charge for each transaction (even though the money for them was frozen from an available balance at the time).

So that means: if say you used your card 20 times one day and all the money is available in your account ('just') and then the next or the same day a DD hits which your balance can't cover, which you get charged the €10 for (rightly so of course) - they will still charge you referral fees for all 20 of the previous days transactions whenever they hit your account, despite the fact that the money was 'frozen' and available at the time of those transactions.

Madness.

you have confused me ?

im thinking of closing the account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

you have confused me ?

im thinking of closing the account

You're not the only one - confused I mean.

What I took from what the customer service said (which is backed up by the charges) is that apparently their system is set up to charge a referral fee whenever an account is overdrawn and a transaction is finalized (NOT just frozen).

So, if you're just unlucky enough that you go overdrawn (in my case by being charged for not having enough to cover a DD and incur the charges) and then a load of transactions get finalized - you will incur referral fees for each and every one of these transactions, despite the fact that the money WAS there and frozen at the time they were made.

At the moment my account is €84.97 OD and there are €85 worth of refeerel fees (+1 €10 Rtd DD Charge). In other words, no fees - no OD. Not complaining about the DD charge of course, was my fault.

Not sure also why some referral fees are €10 and some €5 (€10 ones were first and then the €5 ones were applied).

All very odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement