Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Wow!

I have posted about how happy I was with this card and TSB many times but that changed today.

Earlier this week I went down to just €4 on my account and that was no problem as wasn't expecting any DDs or anything.

Except I was really and I had just forgot that one DD was due to hit on the 12th for €20 :o

So, €10 DD charge and €5 Referral (don't see why they don't just charge the €10) but my own fault and so no real complaints there.

Then I log into my online account today and see another €80 worth of Referral Fees - but no more transactions :confused:

I phone them up and what they tell me is that, because I had four or five frozen transactions that only hit after the €10 + €5 charge, there is a further €10 charge for each transaction (even though the money for them was frozen from an available balance at the time).

So that means: if say you used your card 20 times one day and all the money is available in your account ('just') and then the next or the same day a DD hits which your balance can't cover, which you get charged the €10 for (rightly so of course) - they will still charge you referral fees for all 20 of the previous days transactions whenever they hit your account, despite the fact that the money was 'frozen' and available at the time of those transactions.

Madness.
    this happened to me today with bank of ireland and im ****ing livid

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

this happened to me today with bank of ireland and im ****ing livid

ah ok but this is only if your account runs out of money and DD's are due from it.

wont ever happen me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ah ok but this is only if your account runs out of money and DD's are due from it.

wont ever happen me

Lucky for some, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

is it alot more expensive to withdraw funds abroad using the visa debit card than the laser?
    In london at the weekend i took out 200 sterling but i got charged like 8 euro something for the withdrawal alone...I dont remember such a large fee on the laser..

Is it cheaper to use my visa credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

It's definately MUCH CHEAPER to use any Credit Card than a debit card if you're OUTSIDE the Eurozone.

Euro transactions anywhere should be free though e.g. if you'd withdrawn €200 in London instead of 200stg, it wouldn't have cost anything . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeSandles

After 20 years I switched from AIB (too many bad headlines) to PTSB. I now have the PTSB debit card.

I was hoping it would be useful on my holidays in Auz and New Zealand over Christmas and I was let down. I should have got the signals when Hong Kong airport rejected it - and so did every hotel, restaurant and shop down under. So I had to withdraw all my monies for the holiday. The next hit was the charges, particularly in New Zealand. On average I was being charged between €8 and €9 withdrawl on taking out between $400 and $500 a go.

I really figured the Visa brand would work better, and the charges for a simple transaction are maddening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

im gonna be using my moneybookers prepaid mastercard going forward.
    Seems to be much more reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Wow!

So, €10 DD charge and €5 Referral (don't see why they don't just charge the €10) but my own fault and so no real complaints there.

Then I log into my online account today and see another €80 worth of Referral Fees - but no more transactions :confused:

So that means: if say you used your card 20 times one day and all the money is available in your account ('just') and then the next or the same day a DD hits which your balance can't cover, which you get charged the €10 for (rightly so of course) - they will still charge you referral fees for all 20 of the previous days transactions whenever they hit your account, despite the fact that the money was 'frozen' and available at the time of those transactions.

Madness.

That's not true. There is a €5 referral charge the maximum referral fees in a day is €15 regardless if you have 5 transactions or a thousand. However you will be charged €10 if you miss a direct debit or standing orders. There is no limit to that charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    That's not true. There is a €5 referral charge the maximum referral fees in a day is €15 regardless if you have 5 transactions or a thousand.

Well, I was charged them and that is what they are telling me.
    ANXIOUS wrote: »
    However you will be charged €10 if you miss a direct debit or standing orders. There is no limit to that charge.

I have no issue with the €10 charge (or the €5 referral fee that I was charged for this also).

It's the other referrals fees for transactions going through on the account, even though the money was there at the time and of course "frozen" (deducted from the 'available balance').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeSandles

Tiesto wrote: »
    im gonna be using my moneybookers prepaid mastercard going forward.
    Seems to be much more reasonable

Just to show you how much its a rip off - here is an example from my account...

12/01/2011ATM QUEENSTOWN 11/01 22: €-207.08
    12/01/2011Debit Card Charge €7.24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

I have another beef with them now over this card.

I've NEVER used any card from them in an ATM to withdraw money or lodge money.

They saw fit to charge me €5 for the govt. levy : I've only ever paid €2.50

The govt. levy is : €2.50 ATM card // €2.50 debit card so €5 if you use both facilities on your card.

If you never use it to purchase anything but do withdraw funds at an ATM, you only pay €2.50 and vice versa - one year I didn't pay ANY levy as I used my CC instead for the whole year . . .

-- They've now told me that because I activated the card at an in-branch self-service ATM, that's classed as "ATM usage" and the €2.50 charge is valid, so €5 is the correct charge applied to my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

The govt. levy is : €2.50 ATM card // €2.50 debit card so €5 if you use both facilities on your card.

If you never use it to purchase anything but do withdraw funds at an ATM, you only pay €2.50 and vice versa - one year I didn't pay ANY levy as I used my CC instead for the whole year . . .

-- They've now told me that because I activated the card at an in-branch self-service ATM, that's classed as "ATM usage" and the €2.50 charge is valid, so €5 is the correct charge applied to my account.

Banks have to make their money back somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Its not a bank charge, its a Government levy that each bank has to charge and then pass on to the revenue when you use a card at an ATM regardless of what type of transaction you complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:confused:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

I think all the issues in this thread don't have too much to do with the PTSB cards being branded 'Visa Debit Cards'. The issues seem more to do with how PTSB are managing these cards. Visa is a company who operate like a franchise company and make sure that the cards with their brand are technically capable of being accepted all over the world.

Visa don't set account charges and don't limit where the PTSB cards are accepted. If you are having problems with charges, cards not being accepted or Government Stamp Duty, speak to your branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lor2ie

hi, have to admit after reading this thread, i have experienced quite a lot of the problems others have experiences with the replacement of their laser cards with visa debit cards.

as in did not received new card before old laser card was discontinued, which left me a week without access to my funds unless i went into the bank which is over 20miles away.

got extra charges on it for purchasing items such as booking a ticket for cie, usually when using a laser they charge 1euro (used to be free) and visa 3euro. now using the visa debit i am charged visa rates. Also when purchasing items online you get choices of visa or laser not visa debit.

unable to pay for items over the phone as I did with my old laser

and yes I have found customer services quite rude when i explained i had not received my card before old one was discontinued. I would much prefer to have a laser card than another "visa" debit or otherwise. Guess at this stage i,ll be getting got to move with the times, but when the move means another way for banks to keep money belonging to you...def not a happy camper...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How is ptsb keeping your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

lor2ie wrote: »
    hi, have to admit after reading this thread, i have experienced quite a lot of the problems others have experiences with the replacement of their laser cards with visa debit cards.

got extra charges on it for purchasing items such as booking a ticket for cie, usually when using a laser they charge 1euro (used to be free) and visa 3euro. now using the visa debit i am charged visa rates. Also when purchasing items online you get choices of visa or laser not visa debit.

Extra charges for using your PTSB Visa Debit Card are actually similar to the carry on by the 'cheap' airlines. The Office of Fair Trading in the UK has just announced a super compliant into card fees added by retailers which don't always reflect the cost to them of accepting cards. I couldn't comment on how much CIE are paying for processing credit cards but I would be surprised if they are paying more than 25c for Laser cards so even the 1 euro for Laser transactions seems excessive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12423004

11 February 2011

Headline - Credit and debit card surcharges 'are excessive'

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

how do i delete the above? i meant to send it as a PM

how do i delete the above? i meant to send it as a PM

Assuming you can't just edit it. I've reported it so hopefully a mod will do it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Also when purchasing items online you get choices of visa or laser not visa debit.

This is because you are paying by visa which is the card you are using its just a visa debit.You should chose the visa option (i have done in the past and it works for me).

unable to pay for items over the phone as I did with my old laser

This should not be the case as you are paying by visa which is normally accepted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12423004

11 February 2011

Headline - Credit and debit card surcharges 'are excessive'[/QUOTE]

Indeed I am wrong. CIE charge 2 euro per laser/Debit card transaction:

Ticket Price €36.00
    Transaction Fee €2.00
    Total Charge €38.00

and for VISA They charge another euro on top of that...

Ticket Price €36.00
    Transaction Fee €2.00
    Credit Card Fee €1.00
    Total Charge €39.00

but i divert from topic...

charges to access my own money!!!! and don't quote they are providing a service, they gain interest for our money they "mind". If i could live without banks I would. But a lot of business will only deal with direct debit and a lot of payments are only directly into an account.

Thought about using my new PTSB debit card abroad (non Eurozone). Probably won't now.

Withdrawals charged; 3.5% (min €3.17)
    Purchases charged; 1.75% (min €0.46)

Don't really want to be charged €10.50 for taking €300 (equivalent) while away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

I used to have just a current account with a atm card with permanent tsb. Today i received a letter from them giving me a new combined atm and visa debit card.

First off is this normal procedure-it it a scam?

Secondly If i buy something online what protections does a debit card have against identity theft or fraud? i seem to recall people saying its better to use a credit card for online purchases-but why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a scam, all Maestro Open24 ATM cards are being replaced by the new Visa debit card. Its been happening for a good few months now.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/bankcardsguide/visa-debit-card/

nudist wrote: »
    I used to have just a current account with a atm card with permanent tsb. Today i received a letter from them giving me a new combined atm and visa debit card.

First off is this normal procedure-it it a scam?

Secondly If i buy something online what protections does a debit card have against identity theft or fraud? i seem to recall people saying its better to use a credit card for online purchases-but why?

Thats great mike65. Seems to be a legit thing.

But secondly i grabbed this from their site https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/bankcardsguide/visa-debit-card/
    'Greater protection for your money

If you’ve paid for goods with your Visa Debit Card and they show up damaged; or worse still, not at all then we may be able to help you recover your money.'

Exactly what protections are in place? I went over their terms of service but the contracts dont seem to mention a 'chargeback' facility for their visa debit cards in the event of fraud offline or online.

I dont suppose any boardies here know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A chargeback is exactly how it sounds. If goods are faulthy/not delivered etc, the bank can issue a chargeback - an attempt to claw the charge back from the retailer.

It's not guaranteed to be successful, but it's more than what could be done with Laser (which was practically nothing).

BuffyBot wrote: »
    A chargeback is exactly how it sounds. If goods are faulthy/not delivered etc, the bank can issue a chargeback - an attempt to claw the charge back from the retailer.

It's not guaranteed to be successful, but it's more than what could be done with Laser (which was practically nothing).

Ok but can someone please confirm that the permanent tsb atm debit card offers a chargeback facility for fraudulent/undelivered goods? its not on their website-i would ring them today but i think there closed

How does the chargeback compare to the protections of a credit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It comes with being a Visa debit card, irrespective of who issues it.
    It's pretty much the same procedure on a Visa credit card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement