Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It comes with being a Visa debit card, irrespective of who issues it.
    It's pretty much the same procedure on a Visa credit card.

Thats good to know.

One thing ive noticed though is that with the permanent tsb atm debit card it says that transactions outiside of the eurozone will be charged at 1.75% of the euro value of the item-does this apply to items bought on amazon uk? Is the uk part of the eurozone? or is the uk just part of the EU but with its own currency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Another question i have is that do permanent tsb offer text message authentication when logging into the open 24 website-like the way gmail now offers 2 factor authentication?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The EU does not equal the eurozone. The Eurozone consists of the countries that use the Euro as their currency. The UK uses the pound, therefore transactions in pounds attract the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The EU does not equal the eurozone. The Eurozone consists of the countries that use the Euro as their currency. The UK uses the pound, therefore transactions in pounds attract the charge.

If you buy anything within the European Union (including UK) in euros, the bank is supposed to charge the same at they do in the Republic of Ireland.

See link below:

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/payments/crossborder/index_en.htm

So if you are buying from a website in the UK and pay in euros there should be no charge apart from the normal transaction charge you pay for using an Irish wedsite like ESB.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Just got my visa debit card. Are there any extra charges for going into an existing overdraft when buying something?

• Advertisement

No, there are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    If you buy anything within the European Union (including UK) in euros, the bank is supposed to charge the same at they do in the Republic of Ireland.

See link below:

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/payments/crossborder/index_en.htm

So if you are buying from a website in the UK and pay in euros there should be no charge apart from the normal transaction charge you pay for using an Irish wedsite like ESB.ie

You missed this bit;
    "All non-euro area Member States have the possibility to extend the application of this Regulation and to apply the same charges for payments in euro as for payments in their national currency."

That 'possibility' is not enforced, and there is a currency cionversion charge between Euro and UK sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I remember reading somewhere that you can get a visa debit card if you are 16. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that you can get a visa debit card if you are 16. Is this true?

You can get one on an Adapt account in Ulster Bank if you are 16.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    You can get one on an Adapt account in Ulster Bank if you are 16.:)

Thanks for that information :D Going to sign up in the morning for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Thanks for that information :D Going to sign up in the morning for it

If you are in Cork, I would recommend you check out Bishopstown Credit Union. My niece got a card from them when she was 17 and eventhough she is no longer a student she doesnt get charged fees. My nephew on the other hand went with the bank when he was a student then went to the States for the Summer. He got robbed by fees when he came back - over €30 in fees and the answer from the bank was - 'transcations outside the eurozone' €30 over 3 months - daylight robbery. Bunch of pirates the banks are. I am going to check out the MasterCard on offer at Bishopstown Credit Union - sounds like it is worth investigating folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Aug2009 wrote: »
    If you are in Cork, I would recommend you check out Bishopstown Credit Union. My niece got a card from them when she was 17 and eventhough she is no longer a student she doesnt get charged fees. My nephew on the other hand went with the bank when he was a student then went to the States for the Summer. He got robbed by fees when he came back - over €30 in fees and the answer from the bank was - 'transcations outside the eurozone' €30 over 3 months - daylight robbery. Bunch of pirates the banks are. I am going to check out the MasterCard on offer at Bishopstown Credit Union - sounds like it is worth investigating folks.

That's interesting - first Credit Union I've seen offering debit cards and also the first MasterCard debit card I've seen in Ireland!

http://www.bishopstowncu.ie/content.asp?section=117

It's not a true Debit (capital d) Mastercard. So far EBS are the only issuers of those cards.

Bishopstown CU are simply offering a prepaid Mastercard, which is a different proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It doesn't look like prepaid Mastercard from their website it looks like it's connected to their "Link Account"

http://www.bishopstowncu.ie/images/library/documents/16122009%2D164941%2Epdf

They're offering:

» Direct debits
    » Standing Orders
    » Bill Payment
    » Funds Transfer
    » Debit Card
    » ATM access
    » 24/7 phone and internet banking

Seems like a full current account with MasterCard debit proposition to me, even if it's using a slightly different debit card setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Solair wrote: »
    It doesn't look like prepaid Mastercard from their website it looks like it's connected to their "Link Account"

http://www.bishopstowncu.ie/images/library/documents/16122009%2D164941%2Epdf

They're offering:

» Direct debits
    » Standing Orders
    » Bill Payment
    » Funds Transfer
    » Debit Card
    » ATM access
    » 24/7 phone and internet banking

Seems like a full current account with MasterCard debit proposition to me, even if it's using a slightly different debit card setup.

A PrePaid Credit card is the correct term alright as you can use it on Ryanair to avoid booking fees - VERY HANDY - but I agree with Solair. It isnt one of those useless loadable cards that charge a fortune. It works off your Current account within the Credit Union. I even get my wages paid in there now and it does far more than those useless 3V cards and those expensive credit cards ever did for me. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys how one check statements online with permanet tsb account.

I just activated my card from paypal website and its wants me to get the 4 digit activation code.

But its not showing me that paypal took a sum of money of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

guys how one check statements online with permanet tsb account.

I just activated my card from paypal website and its wants me to get the 4 digit activation code.

But its not showing me that paypal took a sum of money of me.

It takes one or two days for the transaction to show up on Open24, but it will appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

I've been charged €90 in the last 2 months in referral fees,

Please don't pull up threads from last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement