Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewable Energy / Electrical Engineering Distance / Part Time Learning

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

i am a chartered civil engineer with 9 nine years experience in the civil consultancy sector who is in the process of making the transition to electrical engineering consulting in the context of grid connections for generators (predominantly renewable sources).

i would like to get some sort of formal qualification which is generally relevant to either electrical engineering or renewable energy on a part time basis, and preferably in the form of distance learning due to work and family commitments.

i have not yet found anything suitable in terms of electrical engineering - can anyone advise?

in terms of renewable energy, the only relevant one i can seem to find is the part time distance learning MSc in Renewable Energy Systems Technology (http://crestdl.lboro.ac.uk/outside/index.php) in Loughborough University. has anyone got an opinion on this course? can anyone recommend anything else suitable to my needs?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 techyness

Have you looked at Maynooth? Dont know if it's what you want but its distance and part time. http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospective-postgrads/taught-courses/science-and-engineering/mhj64

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

techyness wrote: »
    Have you looked at Maynooth? Dont know if it's what you want but its distance and part time. http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospective-postgrads/taught-courses/science-and-engineering/mhj64

some of the modules in this course are relevant, but I need to study a course with an emphasis on electrical as opposed to electronic engineering.

appreciate the suggestion techyness!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

It's not clear from your post what type of electrical eng qualification you are looking to get - Cert/Diploma/Degree/Postgrad.
    The University of Bath do PGDip/Masters courses in Electrical Power Systems by distance learning, you can also take individual modules as part of a Continuing Professional Development stream also.
    It sounds like that might suit your needs more than a general electrical engineering qualification.

Here's a link to the modules - http://www.swern.co.uk/elec-eng/eps/dl/module-details.html

kagni wrote: »
    It's not clear from your post what type of electrical eng qualification you are looking to get - Cert/Diploma/Degree/Postgrad.
    The University of Bath do PGDip/Masters courses in Electrical Power Systems by distance learning, you can also take individual modules as part of a Continuing Professional Development stream also.
    It sounds like that might suit your needs more than a general electrical engineering qualification.

Here's a link to the modules - http://www.swern.co.uk/elec-eng/eps/dl/module-details.html

thanks for that Kagni - i am pretty open minded in terms of the level of qualification, but would prefer a diploma as a minimum. i will look into this and let you know what i choose.

I have signed up to do Bath University's Electrical Power Systems distance learning course. Out of interest has anyone else here done or are currently doing this course?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ENGelec

Hi PGL,
    I am thinking about undertaking Bath's University's Electrical Power Systems distance learning course and I was wondering how you found the course?

Regards

ENGelec wrote: »
    Hi PGL,
    I am thinking about undertaking Bath's University's Electrical Power Systems distance learning course and I was wondering how you found the course?

Regards

Hi ENGelec

If you look up at some of the previous posts on this thread you'll see that this course was suggested by Kagni.

Due to the fact that I am from a civil background, I cannot be automatically accepted into the MSc programme until I have completed the two core modules. I have applied for this and am currently waiting on the study material to be sent to me by post.

PM me if want anymore info or a chat about this.

cheers

Hi PGL,

I currently am in the industry of electrical engineering working as an M&E consultant and with reduced working hours decided to persue distance learning or part time course with something in the field of power systems, generation etc.

I have come accross the following course that might be of interest to you (prob to late now)

Brunel- Sustainable energy technology and management Msc (D.L)

the content looks good. I have been looking into your course also and it also looks like decent content.

If you have any questions regarding topics in your course I might be able to dig you out with some notes as I have a large DB from my elec eng degree and being in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 isawthelight

Hi All

great to see such great info exchange going on! I am a mech engineer and am at an advanced stage of assessing the loughborough MSc in Renewables. Got a bit of a fright when i saw foundation module content inlucded maths of my past - taylor series, laplace transforms etc. anyway, I am trying to find someone who has done or is doing the course. Some q's...

1) Is it really for elec engineers? I know it is open to mech also but I am afraid of ending up in a very 'electrical' course.
    2) Any mech enigneers out there who have done course
    3) Any other pointers?

all comments greatly appreciated

Hi light
    firstly, I have not looked at this course before but I had a look at the Msc in renewable energy systems and it seems interesting.

I would like to add that while the course looks to be electrical engineering orientated due to many of the renewable energy topics being based around electricity generation I think you would only need to know the fundamentals of electrical engineering, power units, generating voltages.
    The course would not go as deep as protection systems and other in depth electrical engineering topics which with your back ground in mech engineering might seem daunting.

If you require any foundation notes on electrical units watts, ohms, current, power etc. when you are doing the course give me a mail and I might be able to dig some out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement