Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expedia Flight Changes

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have an upcoming trip to the US booked and I booked it several months ago. Recently I have wanted to change my return date and come back sooner however Expedia have said if I do that, I have to pay a 100 euro change fee, plus the fare difference and that was working out at well over 600 euro.

I had an idea today of just booking a one way trip back so I could leave earlier and simply just not fly back on the return portion of my flight. However from talking to them on the phone, it seems that if I wanted to do that, I'd have to effectively change my booking to a one way and I'd have to pay the fare difference! :eek:

That surprised me as I've already paid for the return flight. Why would me just not taking the return leg require me to pay more money? I wouldn't be changing the flight from their perspective, everything would remain the same, I just wouldn't be on the return flight.

In hindsight I was a bit stupid to book the trip like I have and I'd rather shorten it by 3 or 4 days now as I'm sort of losing interest in the entire trip, or possibly even cancel the whole thing. Everything is pretty much paid for at this stage and the credit card bill has been cleared. The only "advantage" I suppose of cancelling everything now is that I'd save 450-500 euro on my hotel as I haven't paid for that yet.

Any ideas how I can get around this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hello,

I have an upcoming trip to the US booked and I booked it several months ago. Recently I have wanted to change my return date and come back sooner however Expedia have said if I do that, I have to pay a 100 euro change fee, plus the fare difference and that was working out at well over 600 euro.

I had an idea today of just booking a one way trip back so I could leave earlier and simply just not fly back on the return portion of my flight. However from talking to them on the phone, it seems that if I wanted to do that, I'd have to effectively change my booking to a one way and I'd have to pay the fare difference! :eek:

That surprised me as I've already paid for the return flight. Why would me just not taking the return leg require me to pay more money? I wouldn't be changing the flight from their perspective, everything would remain the same, I just wouldn't be on the return flight.

In hindsight I was a bit stupid to book the trip like I have and I'd rather shorten it by 3 or 4 days now as I'm sort of losing interest in the entire trip, or possibly even cancel the whole thing. Everything is pretty much paid for at this stage and the credit card bill has been cleared. The only "advantage" I suppose of cancelling everything now is that I'd save 450-500 euro on my hotel as I haven't paid for that yet.

Thanks.

Its bullcrap, just book a one way flight, what are they going to do.. send you a bill for missing the flight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It does sound like nonsense. You'll just not be taking the return leg, since you'll already have left the country. The only issue I could see is when you go to make the booking, their system may notice you already have a booking that is in conflict with the new one. I've no idea whether this is the case or not, but it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hello,

Thanks.

In theory, just book the new return ticket and do not tell them, but Expedia might not be your problem, US Immigration might have issues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Unfortunately booking a completely new return ticket is out of the question as it's insanely expensive (I checked earlier today on various websites).

I really would like to cut my trip short by about 3 or 4 days now and buying a one way ticket home is about 540 euro at this stage, but cutting my trip short means I'd save about 340 euro on hotel fees so it offsets the expense somewhat.

I was wondering about US immigration alright. It's not like I'd be staying in the country, I'd be leaving on a different flight is all. Not sure if their system would feck up and think I was still there or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hello,

Thanks.

I spend a lot of time in the US and have booked using expedia a few times. Don't pay them anything extra on the Return leg. I do this all of the time change my mind on flying home. I simply leave it as is and not tell them and just go and book a separate one way flight. Never have they noticed or tried to get money out of me. Whoever told you that in Expedia deserves to be slapped. I know changing the flight is hassle due to US policy on changing the destination etc etc but not taking up a return leg shouldn't cost you anything. Now if you missed the first leg of the journey you will lose the whole thing for sure. But that is another days story :D

But having said that i find these days booking through the airline direct works out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I was wondering about US immigration alright. It's not like I'd be staying in the country, I'd be leaving on a different flight is all. Not sure if their system would feck up and think I was still there or something.

Immigration wont do or say anything wont as you will still be handing in the green waiver card back to the airline as you board the plane on your way home. This card gets passed on to the Immigration services letting them know you left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Thanks for the info.

Anyone ever used vayama.com to book flights? They seem quite a lot cheaper but I've read mixed reviews about them. Apparently they are a travel consolidator or something. I also noticed a few spelling mistakes in their terms and conditions!

Just wondering if they're worth booking with?

Advertisement