Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Cobh or not to Cobh??

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, I am moving to Cork in a few weeks, was thinking of moving to the city, but looking on the internet Cobh seems to be pretty good value for rental. I visited there a few years ago and thought it was a great spot, can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from the city to there and does it take much longer at peak driving times? Also are the buses and trains to the city reliable?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

People from Cobh normally stay in Cobh. They have an unnatural fear of leaving the island...

There's a train from Cob-h to town which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What Bill-e says is true, an over the bridger might not be welcomed, they are quite inbred you know.... LOL

TBH the transport via train is grand, via road with the lack of infrastructure at peak times you can be looking at 40 - 50 mins to the city but why oh why would you move there, I was there week before last and the amount of run down empty falling down buildings was amazing, steer clear is my advice.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

What Bill-e says is true, an over the bridger might not be welcomed, they are quite inbred you know.... LOL

TBH the transport via train is grand, via road with the lack of infrastructure at peak times you can be looking at 40 - 50 mins to the city but why oh why would you move there, I was there week before last and the amount of run down empty falling down buildings was amazing, steer clear is my advice.MC

Id be inclined to say the same, personally I think the place is a dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

There's a train service from Carrigtwohill and Midleton to the city now also. Carrig is closer to the city but Midleton would be my first choice. Only 15 mins in a car and it has all the big supermarkets, the new 5 screen Gate Cinema, better pubs and restaurants and overall a much nicer town than Cobh. Plus the road from Midleton to Cork is much better than the road from Cobh to Cork. Just a straight dual carriageway all the ways..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Rough town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

There's a reason why the rent is so cheap there...
    (Note that I didn't say good value - just cheap...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Agreee with most of the posts above, I'd avoid it :)

If you really want to stay out that way I'd be more inclined to go for Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this reminds me of a similar discussion about Passage West, must be something in the water :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

this reminds me of a similar discussion about Passage West, must be something in the water :rolleyes:

Cobh has a notorious history. I have never once heard about PW being similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its a nice place to visit,but i wouldnt want to live there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Im originally from the northside of Cork and even I think Cobh is much too rough!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

I don't understand the Cobh hate.I'm from the city but have lived in Cobh for the last 4 years and have never witnessed any of the roughness spoken about.
    Pros
    Good train service
    Friendly people
    Good amenities
    Stunning views
    Nice restaurants theatre and pubs
    Good atmosphere on big ship days

Cons
    Bad road from Fota
    Ongoing litter problems
    Hills
    Bank holiday day trippers street drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Also, sick to death of hearing how terrible Cobh is to live in. Would all those negative comment suppliers name the towns/estates/streets/apartments where they are living - so we can judge/comment on their area.

I have lived in Cobh for almost 8 years - I have lovely neighbours - some new, some there for generations. I feel that my home is always watched when I'm away - because they care.

I come home from work in the city - and look at the most stunning views of the Harbour which lifts my spirits immediately - and when the sun is shining I stroll down to the town, walk along the promenade or the park. Stop for a coffee in one of the many cafes/restaurants - and people are now travelling from the city and further afield to eat at Gilberts, Eleven West or the Marlogue Inn.

I choose to drive to work - and it takes about 45 minutes rush hour time - and quieter times of the day 20 minutes, to the city centre. In the evenings if I want to go to Midleton cinema - 15 mins drive, or Mahon Point 20 mins drive via tunnel.

There are 3 large supermarkets just outside the town centre - Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi. There's smaller mini-markets in different areas including the town centre. A few clothing shops, interior shops, discount shops.

We've covered restaurants and lots of bars. Also a short drive away the 4/5 Star Fota Island Resort Hotel. Near there the Bramley Lodge with the most gorgeous cakes. All just down the road from Fota Wildlife Park. And we have the Sirius Art Centre for art/photographic exhibitions and concerts.

There is a GAA club, Rugby club, Soccer club, Tennis Club. Coral leisure centre with a 25 metre swimming pool plus a child's pool, gym and classes.

And once again I'll comment on the spectacular view, the fun of the Cruise Liners coming into Cobh town during the spring/summer - and the festival atmosphere in the town.

Close to the beautiful beaches of East Cork - swimming/surfing/picnics.

In relation to delapidated buildings - yes, I would agree there are a lot of them around Cobh town but considering most of these buildings would be well over 100 years old, if you look closely you will find a lot of these delapidated buildings have planning notices around them - so in time there will be less of that to see. Again, walk around any older locality in Cork and you will find delapidation. The new estates of now will be the delapidated estates of the future. And all these inhabitants view is each others houses/windows.

So that's just my view of living in Cobh. I have never experienced a problem living there, touch wood! I would say that whenever there is disquiet it's from out of towners on their day trip to Cobh. I keep hearing of litter problems the only time I see this - is if there is a turned over bin, which can happen if very windy - or if somebody from "wherever" has dumped a bag illegally somewhere - which happens everywhere also.

If you can delve into the Boards archives - and I have no idea how to do this - about 2 years ago there was a similar thread from a lady thinking of moving her family to Cobh - there was such negativity towards this town - and she chose to risk the move to Cobh and loved it.

So move to Cobh - rental is cheaper than the city centre, loads of amenities on your doorstep, trains running if you need to escape. And remember when you wake up you have a view in most areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Judes wrote: »
    Also, sick to death of hearing how terrible Cobh is to live in. Would all those negative comment suppliers name the towns/estates/streets/apartments where they are living - so we can judge/Rob/comment on their area.

Fixed that for ya ;)

Nah, seriously though Cobh is a grand place. I enjoy going there in the summer. Well done for sticking up for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Right, I vote Bill-e lights the dynamite to blow the bridge to keep the islanders well... on the island lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I'm only a part-type Cobh girl, but it's like any area, some places are lovely, some places are dire. I find it a little boring in the evening for my taste being a 24 year old who refuses point blank to go to the Comm (nightclub), but nothing beats an icecream by the waterfront when it's sunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 goeast

Cobh is a beautiful town, but ... how come nobody mentioned cancer? One of the highest in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I concur with the overbearing sentiments, nice to visit, I wouldn't like to live there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kieranmcg2000

Wow, wow, wow. I did not expect such negativity. I have only been to Cobh once but thought it was beautiful and every rental i look at on www.daft.ie has an view over the bay. I will take heed of both sides of the arguement and have a better look around before deciding. I have lined up some viewings in the city and in cobh so will post my feeling as a newcomer to cork. Anyway thanks for the replys though and for not letting it turn into a slagging match.

P.S.- fair deuce to judes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kieranmcg2000

I have not been living in Ireland for a while and am just returning so was not aware of the high rate of cancer and the reasons for it. I have looked into a few articles and this one will definitely affect my decision. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfkfkfcwojau/rss2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I returned from 11 years in London - and if you can survive the smog/city dust/exhaust fumes of there - or even an Irish Pub before the smoking ban.............. !?* There are people living near me in their 80's who have lived in Cobh ALL their lives - and they are an inspiration to me, infact, if you stroll around and really look - you will see a lot of very healthy looking older people. And anything in the harbour area will affect all areas of the harbour i.e. Crosshaven, Aghada, Ringaskiddy, Monkstown, What about the Radon levels in a chunk of the country. All I know is that I wouldn't want to live in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Age old thread trawled up & doing nobody any good.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement