Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The colder it is, the hotter she gets'

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-stars-bright-outlook-attracts-a-flurry-of-fans-2091717.html

RTE star's bright outlook attracts a flurry of fans

rte_i_527235t.jpg
    Jean Byrne in RTE wearing one of her distinctive dresses

<H4 sizset="166" sizcache="47"> </H4>

Monday March 08 2010

SHE'S the weather-watcher who always has her finger on the fashion pulse.

And now her daring wardrobe choices have bagged meteorologist Jean Byrne legions of followers.
    The RTE weather presenter has raised some eyebrows -- and set the male population's temperature soaring -- with futuristic leather dresses and other avant-garde creations.
    And while some might cruelly refer to her "tinfoil" silver dress worn during a Christmas Day weather bulletin, her fans have proclaimed her as a "fashion ambassador for Ireland".

Unique
    Now two Facebook groups have been set up to celebrate her unique style. The Jean Byrne Appreciation Society on Facebook already has over 240 members and they proudly proclaim her as "the coolest meteorologist in history".
    "The colder it is, the hotter she gets," posted one fan, Barry O'Keeffe.
    Referring to the famous silver dress, which is by Irish designer Joanne Hynes, Jean modestly insisted she didn't know what all the fuss was about.
    "It was Christmas Day so I thought: 'I'm not going to bring out the old boring red jacket that's been gathering dust for the past 20 years -- just because it's red.' I thought people wouldn't particularly notice," she told the Irish Independent.
    And while she is delighted by the response from her Facebook fans, she now has the pressure of everyone watching her next fashion step.
    "It's very flattering and I'm really grateful . . . It's probably a bit hard to live up to. You can't do that all the time," she joked.
    Jean says she sees clothes as "a work of art". Like other on-air figures at RTE, she receives a clothing allowance, but she often delves into her own wardrobe for items.
    "I'd say my style is fairly unique. It's basically very simple, I love beautiful fabrics, I like things well-cut and nice embellishments like crystals or feathers.
    "I'd rather spend a lot on one item I love. I'm not a follower of trends or a slave to fashion . . . I think it's only in recent years that I settled into what I really like and feel more comfortable with what I wear," she said.

Training
    Born in Tarbert, Co Kerry, Jean initially decided to study medicine on leaving school, but then made up her mind it wasn't for her and applied for a job at Met Eireann.
    Employed first as a meteorological officer, she went for further training at the aviation office in Shannon Airport, which delivers meteorological services to pilots and airlines.
    Afterwards, she moved to the research division in Dublin, where she worked on numerical weather prediction models.
    From there, Jean moved to her present position in the general forecasting division and since 1996 has regularly presented weather on RTE.
    - Breda Heffernan
    Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's the answer to those earlier questions, why isn't MTC on TV?

Well, one of the reasons anyway ... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Jean Byrne rocks!

One of the best TV/Radio forecaster's in my opinion. She has a grace about her when presenting that just captures your full attention.

I think she was educated in Tuam as well (I may be mistaken, just something I heard recently), which probably accounts for her greatness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

She could do with a fashion adviser imo
    There's something odd about looking at a woman in 'party gear' presenting the weather. Poor Joan Blackburn got the axe for not being brash enough - pathetic.
    By the way even the eagle had a pink tie on tonight - Good Lord there all at it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

North Cork wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-stars-bright-outlook-attracts-a-flurry-of-fans-2091717.html

RTE star's bright outlook attracts a flurry of fans

rte_i_527235t.jpg
    Jean Byrne in RTE wearing one of her distinctive dresses

<H4 sizset="166" sizcache="47"> </H4>

Monday March 08 2010

SHE'S the weather-watcher who always has her finger on the fashion pulse.

And now her daring wardrobe choices have bagged meteorologist Jean Byrne legions of followers.
    The RTE weather presenter has raised some eyebrows -- and set the male population's temperature soaring -- with futuristic leather dresses and other avant-garde creations.
    And while some might cruelly refer to her "tinfoil" silver dress worn during a Christmas Day weather bulletin, her fans have proclaimed her as a "fashion ambassador for Ireland".

Unique
    Now two Facebook groups have been set up to celebrate her unique style. The Jean Byrne Appreciation Society on Facebook already has over 240 members and they proudly proclaim her as "the coolest meteorologist in history".
    "The colder it is, the hotter she gets," posted one fan, Barry O'Keeffe.
    Referring to the famous silver dress, which is by Irish designer Joanne Hynes, Jean modestly insisted she didn't know what all the fuss was about.
    "It was Christmas Day so I thought: 'I'm not going to bring out the old boring red jacket that's been gathering dust for the past 20 years -- just because it's red.' I thought people wouldn't particularly notice," she told the Irish Independent.
    And while she is delighted by the response from her Facebook fans, she now has the pressure of everyone watching her next fashion step.
    "It's very flattering and I'm really grateful . . . It's probably a bit hard to live up to. You can't do that all the time," she joked.
    Jean says she sees clothes as "a work of art". Like other on-air figures at RTE, she receives a clothing allowance, but she often delves into her own wardrobe for items.
    "I'd say my style is fairly unique. It's basically very simple, I love beautiful fabrics, I like things well-cut and nice embellishments like crystals or feathers.
    "I'd rather spend a lot on one item I love. I'm not a follower of trends or a slave to fashion . . . I think it's only in recent years that I settled into what I really like and feel more comfortable with what I wear," she said.

Training
    Born in Tarbert, Co Kerry, Jean initially decided to study medicine on leaving school, but then made up her mind it wasn't for her and applied for a job at Met Eireann.
    Employed first as a meteorological officer, she went for further training at the aviation office in Shannon Airport, which delivers meteorological services to pilots and airlines.
    Afterwards, she moved to the research division in Dublin, where she worked on numerical weather prediction models.
    From there, Jean moved to her present position in the general forecasting division and since 1996 has regularly presented weather on RTE.
    - Breda Heffernan
    Irish Independent

Its the Muppet noses around her neck that I'm afraid don't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

We would love to see and hear the lovely Jean Byrne announce Ireland's votes on RTE for the Eurovision. Just imagine the style!

Please sign the online petition here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement