Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop a cat coming indoors?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all! Just a quick query!

Just moved into our new house out the country and the previous owners have left behind their cat! Bit cruel but we were happy enough to see her, my three yr old loves her and she will scare off mice and stuff which is grand, but the problem is she wants to come inside at every opportunity! She will literally squeeze between your legs when you are coming in the door! Leave a window open and shes there, legging it upstairs to ensconce herself on the spare bed like a feline Queen Muck. She is obviously well used to having the run of the house! But we aint gonna have this!

Is there anything we can do (short of shot gunning her) to let her know that housey housey is not cat friendly no more? So far we just let her know were not happy with various frowns, finger wagging and occasional swears. As a cat, she does not understand. What is cat for "Get out of my house, and dont you ever come back in, this is my patch now cat."?

Cheers;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thats terrible that they have left her behind. I think you should try and contact the last owners and try get them to come take her or a local rescue seeing as you wont be taking her in.

BUT seeing as its am animal forum, cats are great house pets so do consider keeping her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Its the cats house not yours.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

What you want is an outdoor cat. In fairness the cat is used to being in and cats will always try to get into the heat, so perhaps provide alternative shelter outside, my mum has a shed and her cat sleeps there. I'd also get her checked with the vet as if they left her then maybe they haven't got her shots worming etc up to date, important with a 3 year old about. Also they may not have left her, but rather she left them and went back to her own territory, your new house ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

She will probably keep trying to come in, and no amount of shouting or punishing will really work, because she's a cat and they take no notice! I think if you just keep putting her back out repeatedly, don't leave windows open, provide some kind of house for her outside, and feed her outside she'll be ok. Or if you don't want to feed her, then give her away? If you want to keep her, then a shed outside?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Perhaps take the cat to an animal rescue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shot gunning?

You should be honoured by her, that she is accepting you in her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigjohnnykeats

thanks for all suggestions! We dont mind keeping the cat she is nice and will keep away cats, just dont want her in the house. She seems happy enough sleeping outside, i mean she doesnt lie at the door sobbing into the mat - she goes off galavanting, so im sure shes happy enough to live outside, it's just this habit she has of trying to come inside. I want to be able to open my windows without fear of her gangly legs dribbling in my bedroom! There's no talking to her. If you bring up the subject she gets all catty! Tried explaining how i bouight the house and as such, am the legal owner of said property, and she has no prima facta rights of residence, but then the claws really came out...

These cat puns are good.

Maybe I should just stop pussy footing around her?!

Would a high pitched rodent repellent thing work on cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You can get window thingies, to stop cats getting out the windows, that would stop her getting in! She'll probably get out of the habit eventually, or maybe not!

Advertisement