Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Porto Tues 9/3

• 08-03-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

So Cesc is out of this one.

Gallas is out and Sol is still a worry but I'd imagine he'll get the nod.

Unfortunately I just can't see us doing this without Cesc.

Almunia

Eboue
    Vermaelen
    Campbell
    Clichy

Diaby
    Song
    Nasri

Walcott
    Bendtner
    Arshavin

I'm going with Eboue over Sagna as Wenger likes to play him against the smaller teams as he's better going forward and we really need some goals in this tie.

Rosicky and Nasri are fairly interchangeable but I'd prefer Nasri in the middle myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah got a bad feeling about this one. 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Porto have lost 11 and drawn 2 out of 13 games in England in the Champions League. I can't see Arsenal not going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Unfortunately I just can't see us doing this without Cesc.

Have a little faith, we're at home to Porto. They played out of their skin in the Estádio do Dragão and were still very fortunate to win. I think we'll have their number tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dosen't bother me either way. As has been mentioned in the Arsenal megathread; once we come up against United/Chelsea/Barca we're going to be knocked out in all reality. I'd like to have another couple of matches to watch in the CL but equally if we don't get a result against Porto I would be distraught; we can switch focus totally on the league which we still have a reasonable chance of winning thanks to the run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i certainly wish you the best of luck against Porto, i hope ye have at least another 2 games in this competition

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    i certainly wish you the best of luck against Porto, i hope ye have at least another 2 games in this competition

I hope so too, I think we were very unlucky in the first game. Should have had a penalty shortly before their second goal and I feel 2 away goals would have been more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Bendtner and Rosicky with a goal each to put us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I think we'll need to score 3 tomorrow to win. I just cannot see us keeping a clean sheet. Having said that Nasri and a brace from Bender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

lads can someone explain to me

1. what exactly is the deal with sagna? is he injured or just out of form or what?

2. will arshavin be fit to start?

there is enough quality in the side to progress. having song back after suspension is a big boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no cesc?

and Porto will score.

this has ET written all over it for me.

and due to Almunia's sh*tness, Arsenal to go out on penalties IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

SlickRic wrote: »
    no cesc?

and Porto will score.

this has ET written all over it for me.

and due to Almunia's sh*tness, Arsenal to go out on penalties IMO.

Ok I'll take it you don't follow Arsenal; Almunia is very good at stopping penalties. If anything; I'd be more confident if he was between the sticks for a shootout.

Sagna had a shoulder injury a while back, could still be bothering him. To be honest though I think Eboue is more of an attacking threat than Sagna atm. Neither of them are fantastic crossers but eboue does loike to run at the defenders. And that little backheel to set up cesc for a shot at the wkend was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can see us winning this, even without Cesc. Having Song back is a boost and Nasri looked much more comfortable in the middle on Saturday. I'd start him back there with Diaby and Song and play Theo, Arshavin and Bendtner as the front 3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Even without Cesc we should still have too much for them. This Porto side really isn't very good at all.

Almunia
    Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Diaby Nasri
    Walcott Bendtner Arshavin

3-0 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

As I said in the other thread I'd rather Rosicky start in CM than Nasri. Not much between them, but Nasri just looses the head a little bit and can be very naive. Considering Arsenal are already under pressure here I think Rosicky's experience would be a lot more valuable to the team.

Almunia
    Sagna--Campbell-Vermaelen-Clichy
    Song

Rosicky----Diaby
    Walcott
    Arshavin
    Bentdner

Hope Diaby plays a blinder, he always seems to play better than usual when Cesc is absent.

Anyway, I fancy both teams to score, but Arsenal have more than enough quality to dispense with them easily. Hopefully they'll keep their composure, take their chances and stay alert for the counter. 3-1 perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Even without Cesc we should still have too much for them. This Porto side really isn't very good at all.

Almunia
    Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Diaby Nasri
    Walcott Bendtner Arshavin

3-0 win.

Thats the team right there, It'd be good to see Rosicky in there, but at the moment i think Nasri and Arshavin are betters options. Maybe bring him on at 60 when we're up by 2 goals :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

As I said in the other thread I'd rather Rosicky start in CM than Nasri. Not much between them, but Nasri just looses the head a little bit and can be very naive. Considering Arsenal are already under pressure here I think Rosicky's experience would be a lot more valuable to the team.

Almunia
    Sagna--Campbell-Vermaelen-Clichy
    Song

Rosicky----Diaby
    Walcott
    Arshavin
    Bentdner

Hope Diaby plays a blinder, he always seems to play better than usual when Cesc is absent.

Anyway, I fancy both teams to score, but Arsenal have more than enough quality to dispense with them easily. Hopefully they'll keep their composure, take their chances and stay alert for the counter. 3-1 perhaps.

Wenger has been raving about Nasri in the press over the last two days. He will definitely start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Porto actually set up fairly aggressive away from home. Lots of attacking players so should be an interesting game. As the cliché goes, first goal is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think Arsenal should have too much for Porto at home.

Going for a 2-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I have to admit i have mixed feelings towards this game, whereas i feel The Arsenal have a far stronger side than Porto like a previous poster mentioned would going out at this stage be a blessing in disguise or a disaster?

A convincing win would help no doubt boost the squads confidence which could be brought into the next few league games, whilst also boosting the clubs coffers which would certainly be welcomed, however as also mentioned by a previous poster if The Arsenal were to be knocked out tonight would it actually help the remainder of the league campaign seeing as should they draw either of the other English sides or Barca they'll most likely go out anyway? Less games in europe would certainly help with the injury situation in terms of less travel & fatigue etc which surely would help a realistic league challenge given the remaining fixtures?

Whereas i hope The Arsenal actually get that convincing win & go through with no great problems i wouldnt be overly worried if they can use such an occurence as a defeat as a positive for the remainder of the season as personally speaking i'd love to see them nip the league away from Chelsea & Manchester United.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't buy into all this nonsense about it being beneficial to Arsenal to go out of the CL tonight. I think we'll have too much for Porto, although it will be tough! We have as big a chance of winning this as we do the league and you can be certain that Wenger won't prioritise one over the other!

Looking to go out in the CL at this stage is silly talk.

First there is the financial implications. I think the quarters are worth about €5m. in TV, matchday revenue and prize money. Probably more in terms of the knock-on effects the CL has in terms of reputation.

Second is the effect on morale; going out in the first knock-out round is never a good thing. Maybe if it were a higher profile team, but going out to a team like Porto would seriously mess with the morale in the squad and would do more damage than good to the title chances imo.

Thirdly, the biggest fixture ****ups are caused by the FA Cup and any possible replays. CL and league alone is fairly manageable in terms of rotation imo. Now that we've gone out of the cup so early we're a game ahead, not behind so it's not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just realised we're on Tv3 tonight. fml

No TV3 or you just hate their broadcasts like everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm thinking 2-1 to Arsenal and extra time. Possibly penalties. If it goes to penos I'd fancy Arsenal as Almunia is actually a very good peno stopper (good for something at least).

jasonorr wrote: »

I hate TV3 :D

Setanta are equally as bad though to be fair!

Setanta are equally as bad though to be fair!

True. I was hoping for Bill and the lads.

True. I was hoping for Bill and the lads.

Nah, saving themselves for the United game unfortunately! As long as the matches are on tv, I won't complain too much though!

• Advertisement

If your in dublin come watch it in kate's cottage. Always full of us gooners so the atmosphere makes up for the ****ty tv3 coverage. :)

Nah, saving themselves for the United game unfortunately! As long as the matches are on tv, I won't complain too much though!

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm always complaining about missing PL games or crappy streams so should be thankful this is actually on telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

They have a frequent habit which involves their commentary being at least 3 seconds ahead of the picture. Bunch of jokers.

As for the match,

I would expect Arsenal, playing at home to get through tonight, although Fabregas will be a massive loss. But one moment of quality could be enough to put Arsenal through.

First goal may prove crucial and if Porto get it they will more than likey sit back on hit Arsenal on the counter. Porto are always dangerous in attack so Arsenal will need to put in a solid performance in defense.

At least you lot have the option. I'm over in the UK at the moment and have to go to the pub for it. Trouble is the only pub I've found so far has had karaoke on at 9pm every time I've been in for a game...

At least you lot have the option. I'm over in the UK at the moment and have to go to the pub for it. Trouble is the only pub I've found so far has had karaoke on at 9pm every time I've been in for a game...

I downloaded Sopcast there last week and the picture quality is very good so, that's an option too!

Looks like Rosicky might start ahead of Arshavin. Educated guess based on the noises Arsene made at the press conference...

• Advertisement

You're in the UK and you only found one pub? I don't think you're looking hard enough chip!

Small town.

... but I used to live in East London and none of the pubs in the area showed football! Couldn't afford the Sky license.

!?

• Advertisement

!?

Attempting to point out the benefits of public transport in a patronising fashion.

Costs me the guts of £20 to get to and from London every time, cheeky bollix!

Harrumph. Isn't it well for some that they have £20 to spend on some fancy dancy bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

There is a retard next to sitting next to me who thinks that Arsenal only need to win 1-0 tonight to go through....I'm trying to tell him that won't be enough,they must win 2-0 on the night and 2-1 to the Gunners will obviously bring it to extra time!
    Some help me!!!

There is a retard next to sitting next to me who thinks that Arsenal only need to win 1-0 tonight to go through....I'm trying to tell him that won't be enough,they must win 2-0 on the night and 2-1 to the Gunners will obviously bring it to extra time!
    Some help me!!!

We have an away goal, you are wrong, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Some help me!!!

ULTIMATE FAIL! lmfao!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Some help me!!!

Yes you do need help!

Some help me!!!

Lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Some help me!!!

Is it a mirror you're sitting beside? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

deisedevil wrote: »
    ULTIMATE FAIL! lmfao!
    My bad,my bad .....I must get my calculator out :P..that retared was right!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement