Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog escaped and got into trouble - but how much??

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Sindy got out between OH legs yesterday through the side gate. I have been slowly trying to train her to come and sit and for me we've been doing well, but when OH called her she wouldn't come, saw it as a big game and started the barking and bouncing lark, then took off up the road opposite the house with OH chasing her. I wasn't about.
    Anyway up the road there was a little girl, and she scared of dogs, she runs, and Sindy being Sindy runs along beside her, which she finds terrifying. Now Sindy didn't bark, growl or jump at her, just ran alongside. Anyway she ran in home and her dad came out and of course gave out to my OH for her being out without a lead. Even then he was trying to catch her and he explained that she had escaped and that we were very sorry.
    As Sindy was not aggressive, though I know the little girl was terrified, is there anything he can do to take her away from us.
    She is normally only out on lead, and we have a walled garden so she can't get out, as I said this time she went under OH legs. I also don't think the neighbour knows exactly where we live as she had ran quite a bit.
    I am and will continue to work on her come command, and at getting her to walk politely off lead and not to chase fast moving things.
    I guess i'm just worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Well since the dog didn't touch or even bark at the girl i doubt that he can do anything ,,dont worry,,, these things happen:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

small fine for being off the lesh (depending on what breed she is ) Pic's please ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nothing really, she did escape a confined area, it happens. An apology to the dad and a little gift for the little girl would be a nice gesture.

Had a similar experience a while back, our pup broke his collar (chaep sh1te) and started to play with an elderly couple's dog (play now, neither was agressive), the auld wan has a canary and her husband tries to hit my lad with his walking stick, I go in and grab our lad by the scruff and the auld lad hits me with his stick! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I was thinking the same about a little gift for the girl but was also thinking of asking the dad if he would like to work with us to help his little girls not to be scared, as Sindy in quite gentle really, just it can't be nice for her to be scared of dogs as she will see everyday even on walks to shops.
    I hate to think of a little person being so scared.
    Oh and pics attached.
    Sindy is a cross between a spaniel and retriever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i'd ask the girls father if it was ok to buy her a bag of sweets from Sindy to say sorry and say to the girl that Sindy thought she was playing and she didn't mean to upset her, so she got her sweets to say sorry

Tyson broke out once from our old place, jumped around everywhere, scarred a neighbour (who was scared of dogs) so i bought her a box of choclates from him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We've just managed to bring our dog back under control after displaying exactly the same behavior as the OP's dog.

He had a hip op end of last year and was confined to the house for three months. When we started letting him out again after Christmas he didn't want to come back. It was extremely frustrating and you could spend hours trying to catch him.

Took us about a month to train him.

A week on the lead getting him to sit/reward.
    A week on the lead but not holding it, sit/reward.
    Two weeks using a piece of cord instead of a lead, sit/reward.

So bear with it. It takes time, lots of it. But it's well worth it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Perhaps an internal side gate to stop the dog from going under the legs? You would feel pretty daffed if you ended up tripped up by him!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I was thinking the same about a little gift for the girl but was also thinking of asking the dad if he would like to work with us to help his little girls not to be scared, as Sindy in quite gentle really, just it can't be nice for her to be scared of dogs as she will see everyday even on walks to shops.
    I hate to think of a little person being so scared.
    Oh and pics attached.
    Sindy is a cross between a spaniel and retriever.

I do think that would be a lovely gesture. :)

Advertisement