Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which 'All-In-One' Lens for Canon 500D

• 08-03-2010 2:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend wants to get an SLR - she's pretty set on the 500D cause she wants video. I think the standard 18-55 lens is pants and I want her to get a better one. Looking for an all in one lens - I think something like 18-135mm or 18-200mm would be great. Sigma or Canon most likely but not confined to them.

My sister has the Sigma 18-200mm OS _ used it and I was very impressed with it. 200mm is really more then we need though so I think 135 would be fine too. For example, if they were the same price but the 135 is a better lens then I'd go with that.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on these types of lenses. Price is obviously a huge factor but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

All advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm very familiar with that and other similar sites but I just always find personal opinions more useful then generic reviews. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

I bought the Sigma 18-250 DG with IS in December. I can't remember what I paid as I also traded in 2 lenses....this was in London. It is very nice and takes nice sharp images. I have it on a 40D. I had a 17-85 and a 70-300 lens....it is handy having one lens that covers both ranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

For video and an all in one lens the Panasonic GH1 with the 14-140 would surely be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

The Canon 28-135 mm IS is a quality general purpose lens. It has a good range and would not be lost on that body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

would you consider the EF 24 -105 L IS (much more spendy) but a great general walkabout all rounder lens.

:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Unfortunately I think many of them are way out of my pricerange. I think the best one looks to be the Sigma AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Optical Stabilizer which is about €300. I suppose my questions is: For the same money are there any better lenses or is this the best value?

Edit: The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is only a few quid more expensive, is it a much better lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I personally would go for a Canon 17-85 EFS, they're not as expensive as they used to be and that is plenty of zoom.
    I dont know a lot about it but Ive read that the more zoom you pack into a lens in general the more you degrade image quality to put it simply. Ive used a 17-85 for three years before upgrading to a 17-40L, IMO its good glass for the price and a very nice looking lens on your Camera compared to the kit lens.
    I always stick to Canon Lenses but thats just me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-4-0-5-6-Lens/dp/B0002XNRG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268144968&sr=1-1

Hmm, ok the 17-85 is f4 - 5.6 - whereas the canon 18-135 is F3.5 - 5.6 with a much bigger zoom. Why would the 17-85 be better?

I had the Sigma 17-70mm before and always felt like I'd like more zoom. I've used the 18-200mm sigma and thought it was great but more zoom that I needed really. So maybe the Canon 18-135 would be best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

It has better build quality and a ring USM motor, but the 18-135 seems to have a comparable image quality.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

If you need that much zoom go for the 18 - 135

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Get a 50mm prime.

Bargain price, excellent image quality, great in low light and forces creativity as you zoom with your feet

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.8-II-Lens-Review.aspx

Advertisement