Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File server

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭

Hey guys looking into assembling a rig to be a server on my home network, will basically be doing nothing but serving files. I will be installing linux on it and what to set up a VNC server on it too

I would idealy like it to be fairly low power, and have 4 sata slots.

Aesthetics matter not as it will be in the attic.

What kind of money should i be spending on it? I dont mind buying second hand and I dont need any peripherals.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

If I was building a file server now from new components (probably not necessary if you can pick up a decent deal on adverts for a AM2 or older intel socket build).,

I'd base it on this motherboard

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3762#comments

This is the new ASUS board based on the yet to be released 890GX/SB850 chipset/south bridge.

Buy a budget dual core or tri core AMD processor for fifty quid, and unlock the extra cores - pretty cool feature on that board. It had solid feautures and good on board video etc..and as far as I can see, this is a guaranteed unlock of all cores.

Komplett are expecting it in, in the next 10 days - and for an extra tenner you get USB 3 / and 6 Sata III ports (6 Gb)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=585672http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=585672

So prices:

Mobo : 100 euro
    Processor: 40-50 euro (maybe AMD Athlon II X2 250 or lowest tri core)
    Video / Audio Onboard.
    PSU: Corsair VX 450W PSU - 50 quid (Depending how many hard drives you want to run - if only four, this psu is fine)
    Ram: might only need 2 gigs of ddr 3?
    Storage - whatever hard drives you prefare.
    Case - same - if it doesn't matter looks wise I'd recommend the Antec 300 for the ease of build - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354717

Probably total overkill - just my suggestion.

Maybe a NAS would be enough though and lower cost to run instead of building a new computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Can't overlook the fact that there's no such thing as "guaranteed unlock". While these new boards are certainly capable of it, the unlock also depends on wether the hidden CPU cores are fully functional or faultly... and there's no way to know this in advance, just a luck of the draw when buying cpu AFAIK.

slowlydownwards - your right it has always been luck of the draw, but if If you look at the Anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3762

they say that AMD is really pissed off with ASUS for putting this unlocker on the mobo - which makes me think with this board you have a guaranteed unlock. The motherboard has a core unlock button on the mobo - hadn't seen that on anything before.

But i'm not 100% sure.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=488304 athlon x2 240
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=579253 ASUS M4N68T-M, Socket-AM3

Cheapest 2 gig ddr3 kit you can find, an antec 300 and a corsair cx 400.

And as many of these of these as needed http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=582423

You can undervolt that athlon alot and it will stay stable at stock speed. The cx 400 will be rock solid for an always on system. The drive size depends on the type of media you are storing. 1TB drives might do the trick instead of the 2tb above?, you can always add a 4 port pci sata card on the cheap if needs be. That will be a very efficient server especially with the cpu undervolted, running linux and the hdd's spun down automatically. I have seen atom setups running as file servers but imo the initial cost of mobo's and atom isnt worth it for the minimal power savings between it and the athlon and the fact that the atom is so horribly underpowered (powerful enough for a file server but hey!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Build or buy an ITX system, very low power. I've got one running ubuntu server (purely media on it) and it runs very well.

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Build or buy an ITX system, very low power. I've got one running ubuntu server (purely media on it) and it runs very well.

Isn't mini-itx more suitable for a htpc than a file server? Given the cost premium for the smaller size of most itx setups versus benefit? Especially when the op requires a case that needs to hold at least 4 hdd's i would be inclined to go for a cheaper and slighlty more power hungry atx setup.

what mobo you using kinetic?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Plus mITX typically has less connectivity - not much space to squeeze in all those SATA ports and USB headers! :o

For a low-power, low-cost fileserver that can handle a good few HDDs an mATX build is usually the best compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

david7536 wrote: »
    Isn't mini-itx more suitable for a htpc than a file server? Given the cost premium for the smaller size of most itx setups versus benefit? Especially when the op requires a case that needs to hold at least 4 hdd's i would be inclined to go for a cheaper and slighlty more power hungry atx setup.

How often are you going to upgrade a file server? Not very often, once in 5 years maybe? What may seem like an initial premium for a lower powered machine, will probably save you money over those 5 years. I'm sure someone with some spare time could do some cost calculations.

zappb wrote: »
    what mobo you using kinetic?

It's an asus, will get the model number when I get home. It has the atom 330 in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why build a pc, any old 5yo pc would do?

I've an old p4 dell here I use as file server/download box/firewall/teamspeak server for lan games, I even host a private forum on there. It runs Ubuntu server and is used as the gateway router for my internet connection (linksys modem is in bridge mode, this does all routing), I just added a second ethernet port and connected a gigabit switch, I got much more options than any router can give me, much more cpu power, memory and storage. I schedule my Usenet downloads to run on the box at night

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    How often are you going to upgrade a file server? Not very often, once in 5 years maybe? What may seem like an initial premium for a lower powered machine, will probably save you money over those 5 years. I'm sure someone with some spare time could do some cost calculations.

Sure it uses less power but how many sata ports does i have? I personnaly needed 6, but thats just me.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I've an old p4 dell here I use as file server/download box/firewall/teamspeak server for lan games, I even host a private forum on there. It runs Ubuntu server and is used as the gateway router for my internet connection (linksys modem is in bridge mode, this does all routing), I just added a second ethernet port and connected a gigabit switch, I got much more options than any router can give me, much more cpu power, memory and storage. I schedule my Usenet downloads to run on the box at night

You run lots of things on that! Im guessing most people would only use it for serving files every so often so a p4 is a hungry beast if *just* used as a file server.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sure i was only on this PC of yours only about 20 mins ago :P

Yeah, basically what is in my head is both yours and kinetic scenarios. On one hand using any old PC would do the job the amount of electricity it uses does concern me.

While Kinetics scenario is good for electricity, its not good for my pocket! And its not me that will be paying the electricity bill (its at my home house which im only in at weekends)

I was surprised to read the earlier suggestions of computers that would put my gaming one to shame :P

Something like this might just work for me, Less sata ports than I would like but there is a PCI slot so i could add a couple more if i needed, or a Ide->Sata converter should work too. (to be honest im not fully surely how many drives i want to add). Seems to tick the boxes i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

mITX with 6 SATA ports

Stick a Core i3 or Pentium G6950 in there and it should idle around 20-30W

Zotac H55ITX-A-E

Zotac_H55-ITX_WiFi_board_02.jpg

Theres a good opteron machine going cheap in adverts :)

Correction, there was :P

So I think I'm going to go down the ITX route, HWS have a dual core atom ITX board for less than €70, Doesn't have Gigabit lan being its only downfall, but my network is currently only fast etherenet anyways and I can always add a gigabit nic to it in the future if i do upgrade.

I bought a antec 300 off zappb on adverts that can house the thing

I'll prob buy 2 1tb drives off hws (at leat one anyways), I have a couple of other drives that I could add to it. I have a couple of sata to IDE adapters so I can add 4 drives in total (without using usb or an expansion card)

I'll prob buy a 4gb kit of 2x2gb of ram and put an extra 2 of it into my pc and 2 into this.

Althought Im going to have a spare PSU after buying zappb's stuff its going to be a dabs value PSU and having an inefficent PSU is kinda going against the reason i wanted the atom in the first place! So I'll either get a cx400 or put my cx450 into this and buy somethign a bit beefier for my PC (which is currently a overclocked e5200 and a stock 4850, but i wouldnt mind getting a quad and maybe overclocking the 4850 a bit so it would be nice to have the head room)

So im finally going to build this machine, just wanted to get a final opnion before i press the buy button:

I have an antec 300 to house the thing.

resource?articleId=35058&size=2
    Going for this mobo - Ticks all the boxes, is dual core (new atom D510), has 4 sata ports and an IDE port, also has gigabit ethernet, all for €80 seems good to me.

Getting two 1.5tb eco green F2s, don't see the point in getting fast drives for something like this. I thought these were fairly good value for money.

Getting a 1gb of ram, I don't really see the need for more, can anyone suggest a reason why i would need more?

Going for the antec basiq 350w, seemed to get decent reviews.

Anyone have any comments on the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not sure if this is better or worse due to exchange rate but if you were looking to buy from somewhere else...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190145

The 1.5TBs are cheaper per GB than the 2TB, Also 3TB should get me out for the moment anyways. Thanks though. I dont think I'll get the drives cheaper when you include delivery. I have to order of HWS as no one else seems to have a anyway decent selection of ITX atom boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement