Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden door rotting, looking for advice

• 08-03-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with the inside to an external door;
    Basically it picks up a lot of condensation from the nearby kitchen and over the years, before i lived here, has picked up the below result;
    4417149960_34a96e2f89.jpg

I do not want this to get any worse so am looking to treat, seal and basically leave the door in a decent state for the next few years;

What I'm looking for is advice on what to do with this door; Also just looked around the apartment properly and I'll have to do the window frames too;

Any advice or thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

looking at that door l'd say painting it white is the best option.

it will take 4 coats of paint and lots of sanding and filling but it would look good if done right..

if ur not keen on painting it get a electric sander and see if any of the black comes off then get a varnish stain darker than the door and give it 3 or 4 coats of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If it's rotting you can buy a treatment solution from DIY stores. I haven't used them in years, but as far as I recall they are a two pack system that involves soaking the wood in a rot killer solution and then soaking it again in a wood hardening solution. It certainly works, but I can't even recall what it's called. I'd guess a DIY store could tell you.

Advertisement