Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage Liability

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi, I live in shared accomodation which is run by a property management company. We have an inspection coming this Thursday and I was curious as to whether I'd be liable for the current damage.
    I've lived here for the past 9 months and the property has never been empty since being built over 4 years ago.
    Anyone who has lived here has been on the same lease and when moving out they've recieved full refund of their security deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what do you mean the same lease ? did you sign a lease ? Was the property ever inspected or has it been continual subletting from one friend to the next ? who did you give your deposit to ? did you tell the landlord there was damage when moving in ?

Not enough information here but if your saying theirs damage to the property then theres a chance your going to be libel for it depending on the circumstances theres just not enough information here to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If its 4 years of wear and tear - some stains, scuffing, worn handles or the like, thats just wear and tear. If there are holes punched in the wall and doors hanging off hinges, thats another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

D3PO wrote: »
    what do you mean the same lease ? did you sign a lease ? Was the property ever inspected or has it been continual subletting from one friend to the next ? who did you give your deposit to ? did you tell the landlord there was damage when moving in ?

Not enough information here but if your saying theirs damage to the property then theres a chance your going to be libel for it depending on the circumstances theres just not enough information here to tell

I mean any new tennants just signed on to the end of the previous lease. Yes I did sign a lease. As far as I know the property has not been inspected for some time, and it certainly wasn't prior to me moving in. No sub-letting, all through the property management company who were given my deposit. No, I didn't say anything as it was things I wouldn't have noticed immediately such as marks on walls, nails in walls, pretty bad marks left on the hard-wood floor from furniture, cutlery and crockery were also missing. Another point thing was that I was told an inventory wasn't necessary as my then current housemates were "long term and there from the beginning".
    Victor wrote: »
    If its 4 years of wear and tear - some stains, scuffing, worn handles or the like, thats just wear and tear. If there are holes punched in the wall and doors hanging off hinges, thats another matter.

Ya I would say it mostly falls into the wear and tear category but not really sure. I suppose the main point of damage would be in one of the bedrooms where the window won't open. Now a couple just moved out of that one recently, but they informed our management company of the problem to which they were told to basically fix it themselves.
    So they moved, were returned all their deposit but the window remains broken. My new housemate will hardly be liable?

Advertisement