Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all year plants

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am getting tired of plants in my garden dying as the season changes. I was just wondering what plants you recommend that would be the best for lasting for the whole yer round. I would like suggestions for both potted plants (long or round) i.e outside the front door and plants to plant in the soil for the rear garden.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

For all round greenery I have a couple of mexican orange bushes. Little white flowers in the summer which smell devine.
    choisya_ternata.jpg

I have a dwarf evergreen azalea in a pot doing well.

azalea%20girard%20pleasant%20white.jpg

Some red grasses.

Blood_Grass.jpg

I also have a couple of dwarf conifers.

CRW_5930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hebes (also called Veronica, but that's a bit confusing as there are other plants called Veronica) are good, there are endless varieties, mostly with little spires of pink, blue, white or purple flowers in the summer. They make tidy shrubs, some small and round, others quite big, and a few that will grow really big if you do not trim them occasionally. Mostly though they take care of themselves, leaves can be small, largish or long, green, red, variagated yellow and green or white and green.
    They are pretty cheap, especially if you buy small plants, but even the bigger ones are not expensive, easy to find, and they are nearly impossible to kill.
    I like hebes :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the advice folks. Could you get these plants in any garden center or DIY store such as woodies, B&Q etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

looksee wrote: »
    Hebes (also called Veronica, but that's a bit confusing as there are other plants called Veronica) are good, there are endless varieties, mostly with little spires of pink, blue, white or purple flowers in the summer. They make tidy shrubs, some small and round, others quite big, and a few that will grow really big if you do not trim them occasionally. Mostly though they take care of themselves, leaves can be small, largish or long, green, red, variagated yellow and green or white and green.
    They are pretty cheap, especially if you buy small plants, but even the bigger ones are not expensive, easy to find, and they are nearly impossible to kill.
    I like hebes :D !

I'll first hold up my hands and admit bias, I'm not a massive fan of hebes.

Just be aware that if you do plant them, they can get very leggy and are an awful pain to try and dig up.

Advertisement