Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade bike? Advice please

• 08-03-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hello there,
    Ive a scenario here that Im trying to work out and Im just treading water at this stage. I know it’s a personal decision but I would like to see what others think.

I have an ’03 650 (in pretty good nick). I can sell it here in Ireland for about 3k+. If I add another 1k Im sure I can get a low mileage 2006 Transalp in the UK. The VRT is only about €500.
    It just seems like a load of hastle, but it would make financial sense to to do that now rather than in a few years.

My restriction period is up in May. A lot of people want these bikes as starter bikes and I believe that selling it restricted would be easier. If Im going to trade up, Id probably leave the restrictor in it (saving my a few quid)

What do you think?
    Thanks for anyone willing to throw an ideas in

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ogriofa wrote: »
    If Im going to trade up, Id probably leave the restrictor in it (saving my a few quid)

What do you think?
    Thanks for anyone willing to throw an ideas in

1) Is the bike factory restricted? if so, it is definitely worth more restricted.
    2) Is it a SV650 you have? If so the transalp is a different kind of bike so could you explain your motivations? My personal opinion would be that this would not be a "trade up". I went from a FR SV650 to a SV1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

thanks nerid,
    yeah, i have a transalp 650, when I say upgrade I mean year and mileage.
    Its an opportunity to swap a restricted bike for a bike without a restrictor and get a fresher version.
    I have ridden a good few bikes and the Transalp is the best all rounder I've ridden. All the others are either sporty bikes or 1litres, neither of which suit my needs.
    Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ogriofa wrote: »
    thanks nerid,
    yeah, i have a transalp 650, when I say upgrade I mean year and mileage.

Aah, right, my mistake. Good enough reasons so, and don't let me persuade you otherwise.

But, is your transalp Factory Restricted or not? if it is, sell it, if not, it is completely up to you whether you want to upgrade the mileage/colour.

Restricted, but not factory restricted are no use for insurance discounts so they are not really worth much "extra" on top of what the same make/model would be without the restrictor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

nereid wrote: »
    Restricted, but not factory restricted are no use for insurance discounts so they are not really worth much "extra" on top of what the same make/model would be without the restrictor.

Are they not still required by law for a person in the 2yr probation period, so its something they wouldn't have to get installed and would add that value to the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

A factory restricted bike is considered a lower grouping for insurance, so will mean cheaper insurance.
    An after market restrictor on a bike does not lower the insurance grouping.
    Insurance companies will not insure a person who has a learner permit on a bike over 25kw (33bhp).
    The 25kw rule is still in place until after a period of 2 years have passed since the issue of the full A licence, when you can ride any bike you wish or can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tranny is different
    bikes have a lot of personallity you need to know yer type if you can only afford one

sv-tranny is probably crazy sv10000 or some other roadster twin is my advice

why do you want a sit up bike

btw i love trannys jus trying to help

Advertisement