If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie: Surround sound advice?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi there,

I am looking to buy a surround sound system as a present. what do I need to know before I go to buy it? Budget is €300. No idea what I should be looking out for!!

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

Just a quick word to remind you that this forum is for commercial dealings with Richersounds, as opposed to a general discussion forum. If you are asking either Richersounds or The Philips Shop for options and a quote then you are in the right place.

However, if you are looking for general advice from Boardsies then I'll move your query to the Home Entertainment Forums.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Angelica Rocks!

it looks from the forum like richersounds is the place to go so thats why I put it in there, but by all means if you think it might be better placed somewhere else then move it - as you can see I am a complete first timer on all this kind of stuff!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

it looks from the forum like richersounds is the place to go so thats why I put it in there.....

No problem, here it stays, I'm sure the Richersounds and Philips Shop folk will point you in the right direction and offer you a good deal to go with it.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

hi there,

I am looking to buy a surround sound system as a present. what do I need to know before I go to buy it? Budget is €300. No idea what I should be looking out for!!

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

Thanks Angelica and as ever Thanks The Ritzy!!!

OK whilst €300 is tight for a surround sound system - it's do'able - most companies will refer you to some one box 2.1 or 5.1 solution however we would MUCH rather that you look at separates as this will generally give you the best quality and the best upgrade path.

If it was me I would start by looking at something like the Pioneer VSX519 partnered with the Onkyo SKSHT528 speaker system - whilst this would blow the budget just a touch - it is a pretty serious system and will blow all those one-box jobbies clear out of the water ( OK it would cost £329.95 / €369.99)

If the budget was REALLY tight I would either add the VSX519 to the Yamaha NSP270 and this would come out at £249.95 / €289.99 just scraping in under budget and to be honest remarkable value for a 5.1 AV system!

Now if I was to give you even better advice - I would recommend that rather than compromise you whole system - build slowly - I would just buy a decent VA receiver (again the Pioneer VSX519 is an excellent place to start) and maybe just add a really good pair of stereo speakers to start - maybe like the Tannoy Fusion F1 Custom - these two will set you back just £264.95 / €329.99 or again if we are to keep strictly to budget - you could add the Pioneer VSX519 to the excellent little Cambridge Audio S20 speakers £239.95 / €279.99. I would then add on a subwoofer, centre and rear speakers as funds allow.

If your heart was set on a one-box system and you could not be swayed :mad::( we can offer you the Philips HTS3377 at a cracking €249.99

Sorry for rambling so much ( I tend to do that which is why it takes me so long to answer all the posts! - again Thanks Ritzy and as ever drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.