Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very painful bunions at 26

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm 26 and have two very prominant bunions on each of my feet. I haven't met anyone my age suffering from the same and was wondering if anyone else was suffering. I was never a high pointy shoe wearer but as you know it is caused from a misallignment of the angle bone.. something like that anyway. High shoes of course don't help either.
    Does anyone have any tips for keeping the pain at a minimum (not asking medical advice, just little things like a particular sock, specific bath salts to soak in etc). I get to wear my pretty shoes on a saturday night, and i pay for it big time for at least two days, I'm living in Uggs at the moment ...:(. According to the doctor they wouldn't touch me for an operation, does anyone have any stories about the operation, good and bad? I'm sure the doctor has good reason to ignore my request and i'm thinking if i hear others experiences of the operation i will be able to accept that its not a little nip and tuck.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 orlanemo

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm 26 and have two very prominant bunions on each of my feet. I haven't met anyone my age suffering from the same and was wondering if anyone else was suffering. I was never a high pointy shoe wearer but as you know it is caused from a misallignment of the angle bone.. something like that anyway. High shoes of course don't help either.
    Does anyone have any tips for keeping the pain at a minimum (not asking medical advice, just little things like a particular sock, specific bath salts to soak in etc). I get to wear my pretty shoes on a saturday night, and i pay for it big time for at least two days, I'm living in Uggs at the moment ...:(. According to the doctor they wouldn't touch me for an operation, does anyone have any stories about the operation, good and bad? I'm sure the doctor has good reason to ignore my request and i'm thinking if i hear others experiences of the operation i will be able to accept that its not a little nip and tuck.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help.

Hey Smiler,
    Try to find a good physiotherapist who specializes in such areas. I went to a girl near Naas who was all for promoting exercise and monitoring progress. I have had noticeable bunions since early teens and although they have cause cramps with good physiotherapy the symptoms improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Thanks a million
    I didn't think about a physiotherapist, that definitely sounds like the route to go. They seem to be getting more painfull lately so I guess now is the time to do something serious about it.

Thanks again.. very grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey there,

I'm 23 and have had bunions for years - my Nana, mum and Aunt have them so they've been passed on to me genetically.

They were a huge factor in a very bad gymnastics injury I suffered. Like you, I was never a pointy shoe wearer etc because I could never fit my feet in!!

2 years ago i was referred to a podiatrist who did a biomechanical examination on me and made me some custom prescriptive orthotics. They've made a HUGE difference to me, really relieving the pressure on my bunions. I was never able to wear heels on a night out when I first started going out as a teenager and it was horrible. gradually the orthotics have made it easier, reducing the swelling on my foot. Just before christmas I bought my first pair of Nine West shoes and am thrilled with myself that I can 1) fit into them and 2) wear them comfortably Yay!!

I'd really suggest going to a podiatrist, it's a bone structural problem so a physio can do very little but offer massage and that's it. Bunion surgery can now be done by keyhole so i think it's open to more people now. I was refused surgery twice as a teenager this was before the keyhole. I haven't needed to go back about it because of the orthotics. you really are best to contact a podiatrist. I'm not sure where you're located but I go to Dr Gabriel Scullion in Castleknock, he does all of the orthotics for the guys on the Irish football team. The clinic is Castle Knock clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi ya,

Wow I'm glad there are more people my age, I felt very strange talking about it. Your gymnastics has struck a cord with me as i was a dancer right up until an unrelated injury and I'm wondering have we made them progress a little quicker than normal. I'm in the munster area, but I'm going to make an appointment asap with a recommended podiatrist. At the moment i'm just about able to squeeze into my stiletto's, i stuff them with wet newspaper as soon as i buy them, to soften the leather and widen them ever so slightly. It gets me into them but as I said,I pay big time. The chiropodist I saw gave me little dividers for my toes to push the toe out, but I found them terribly uncomfortable. I'll defintely go down your route! Going to ring monday to make an appointment, Thanks a million for the advice:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I'd really suggest going to a podiatrist, it's a bone structural problem so a physio can do very little but offer massage and that's it.

Physios are highly trained in lower limb biomechanics even at undergrad level and can provide prescription orthotics and cheaper alternatives too. Many people with bunions may benefit from an exercises programme, mainly gentle stretching. You'd be hard pressed to find a physio who would massage a bunion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I too had a severe bunion on one foot - I had surgery to correct and had 2 hammer toes fixed at the same time - I am fine now and have no foot pain at all - I was in agony previously! However this was at a price!! This was incredibly painfull and recovery was about 2 months - I almost died when I developed a deep vein trombosis (blood Clot) two weeks after the surgery! I really couldnt get off the couch the pain was so bad. I spent 2 weeks in hospital with the clot!! Before the surgery I tried everything - physio, bonesetter, foot spa, orthotics and while it was bad at the time and nearly killed me I dont regret it - one point tho - still cant wear high shoes with the metal pin in there - it doesnt bend!!!

Advertisement