Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Negotiation

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking at moving to a new place at the moment. Ideally hoping to negotiate some of the places down a bit. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this in the last while? If so how is it looking in general?

Obviously there is probably more of a chance with places that have been on the market a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We did this easily. The first time because we were seeking a long term let, the second as we had to ask for rent allowance and it was above the ceiling.

It helped that the Social Welfare man knew the landlord...

They say it is now a renter's market, so don't be afraid to try.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You have to be prepared to walk away if the landlord won't budge.

I'd found a few places and put in offers, kind of like you would if you were buying a house. Landlords either said yes or no. Only one said yes on the day - but his place was not particularly rentable I think and I said I'd a few other places to view and so ended up not taking that one. Some of them said yes too late, saying they'd have a think about it and call me back - by the time they called me back I'd found us a place already.

It's a bit more work but at the end of the day, once you've done it that's a constant savings every month. It was worth it to me.

Advertisement