Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuit Board shelf life!?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    We needed a sparky in a few months ago as our power supply kept tripping, (excuse the explanations pls, have no idea about sparks), house is three years old and the sparky told us that the circuit board or wiring should not have been signed off on and the house should not have been sold in this condition. He reckons we were lucky not to have gone up in flames.
    Could it really be as bad as he said, aren't there some checks done first, in order to release a house for sale? I'm just wondering if I should take this further considering I had two babies living in the house at the time!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i misread it originally .it's only 3 yrs old so it would have been certified when first sold

he may have been exaggerating .i don't know.

you can get a report from a registered contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky08

Thanks for the reply.
    So I could just ring another electrician and tell him I want him to check everything over even tho the first guy has changed the fuses or whatever seemed to be burnt out?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I will try to keep it short and sweet. Could you have had so many elec problems, YES. There are a lot of cowboys out there, all new electrical installations have to be tested prior and post new connection. Some people skip these and just fill out forms instead of testing. The problems could stem from here or, maybe the last home owner fiddled with the electrics himself. Try and itemise exactly what your Electrician did in your house to the minute detail. I would recommend getting a FULL test done on your house, this would show up any faults you may have. Find a local contractor here http://www.reci.ie/ or here http://www.ecssa.ie/, once test is completed make sure you obtain your copy of test results and then discuss if work needs doing etc. I am an experienced Electrician so if you need any help p.m me (I'm not a contractor so I can't test for myself but have a lot of exp testing)
    GOOD LUCK!!

some of these 'white knights' can turn out to be the worst cowboys themselves.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D.B.E

your house would have to of been certified by registered contractor so either reci or ecssa would have test records for the house.

• Advertisement

sparkie should have 'test records'

reci/ecssa will have basic cert info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D.B.E

reci/essca will chase the contractor if theres an issue

Advertisement