Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are phones/plans so expensive in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Nokia N900 from vodafone of bill pay. I went for the €45 per month plan which has 150 free minutes + 150 free texts and free vodafone to vodafone calls and texts. It also has a 2GB data plan included. The cost of the handset with the above plan was €329.

i have since checked the vodafone UK website for corresponding deals and was shocked to say the least! For a £40 plan in the UK you get 1200 free minutes and unlimited free texts!!!! The phone itself is also free!!!!!!

My question is, does anyone know why we are so ripped off in this regard in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

I've recently purchased a Nokia N900 from vodafone of bill pay. I went for the €45 per month plan which has 150 free minutes + 150 free texts and free vodafone to vodafone calls and texts. It also has a 2GB data plan included. The cost of the handset with the above plan was €329.

i have since checked the vodafone UK website for corresponding deals and was shocked to say the least! For a £40 plan in the UK you get 1200 free minutes and unlimited free texts!!!! The phone itself is also free!!!!!!

My question is, does anyone know why we are so ripped off in this regard in Ireland?

welcome to Ireland!

/queue the 'higher costs' 'higher taxes' etc bandwagon /

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

nmesisca wrote: »
    welcome to Ireland!

/queue the 'higher costs' 'higher taxes' etc bandwagon /

I'm sure there will be those arguments alright, but that doesn't explain the stark difference between the prices and benefits I listed in my initial post.

I defy anyone to explain how high cost + tax etc can reconcile the difference between free and €329 euro for the handset. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I'm sure there will be those arguments alright, but that doesn't explain the stark difference between the prices and benefits I listed in my initial post.

I defy anyone to explain how high cost + tax etc can reconcile the difference between free and €329 euro for the handset. :D

it doesnt. but that wont stop the arguments.
    people in ireland just... pay up.
    sure most complain in a shy and private way, but they still fork the money at the end.
    goes for phones and pretty much anything else overpriced.

nmesisca wrote: »
    it doesnt. but that wont stop the arguments.
    people in ireland just... pay up.
    sure most complain in a shy and private way, but they still fork the money at the end.
    goes for phones and pretty much anything else overpriced.

True.

I would be just interested to see if anyone who actually works for the phone companies and/or who knows the inner workings, defend or explain their pricing strategy considering the much better value available across the water. Is it as above that we are a shower of mugs (me included), who just fork out the money and as such will be treated with contempt by these companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The argument "UK is a bigger market" will be put forth.

What I've never understood is how come the deals in the North are the same as Britain but we don't get the same here. There is surely little or no reason for this other than "because we can."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It is as simple as this, Ireland puts up with it. The UK has 5 main mobile operators, soon to be 4 with the coming together of T-Mobile and Orange. Ireland has 4 main operators, so competition can not be the answer.

Now I can see how a country the size of Ireland and its spread out population would add cost with masts but that is the only main difference in terms of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

That's why I voted with my feet and bought my phone in the UK. If I could buy food & toiletries there, just as easily, I would.

I have a simple philosophy in life - shop around. If its too expensive locally, I buy elsewhere, where its not. Feelgood slogans like "buy local" mean absolutely nothing when I try and balance my accounts at month's end and my ever dwindling salary.

Sooner or later the lightbulb will switch on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Nokia N900 from vodafone of bill pay....

Wait a minute, you went into a shop, saw something for sale, paid for it, and then went onto the internet to complain about being ripped off?

Could you not have done some research first to determine if what you were buying could be bought elsewhere for cheaper. At the very least this would have meant you would have made an informed decision that either you do pay the asking, or you don't.

Prices are obviously so high here because shops know that people are willing to pay the prices. Just like you did.

Money is exchanged for goods and services, if you don't want the service don't pay for it. If you do want the service then you have do determine if you are willing to pay the asking price. I'm fairly sure there are other cheaper options than €45pm. Unless of course this is exactly what you require...

nereid wrote: »
    Wait a minute, you went into a shop, saw something for sale, paid for it, and then went onto the internet to complain about being ripped off?

Could you not have done some research first to determine if what you were buying could be bought elsewhere for cheaper. At the very least this would have meant you would have made an informed decision that either you do pay the asking, or you don't.

Prices are obviously so high here because shops know that people are willing to pay the prices. Just like you did.

Money is exchanged for goods and services, if you don't want the service don't pay for it. If you do want the service then you have do determine if you are willing to pay the asking price. I'm fairly sure there are other cheaper options than €45pm. Unless of course this is exactly what you require...

If you completely read my post you will see that I was stating that the same phone on bill pay in the UK in less. There is no avenue to purchase the phone cheaper in Ireland or as a sim free pack from elsewhere. I was drawing a direct comparison between the cost of the same handset on relatively similar price plans between Ireland and the UK.

I could not purchase the phone in the UK on the aforementioned plan as I would need to sign up to a bill pay contract in the UK which would be a non runner. Also I did plenty of research on the phone on all available networks. The cheapest price plan was €35 with vodafone which would give no free minutes and texts, so I decided to go for the €45 plan. O2, who I was with was charging me even more for the handset on an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

meteor billpay does 200 minutes and 200 texts for 20euro (18 months)

Your choice.

Markets work on supply and demand, and are efficient when there are a lot of compeditors, and customers that shop around.

If people keep selecting the more expensive options, then the businesses will keep supplying them.

Next time, shop around. If vodafone had no customers at their prices they'd do something about it.

WildeFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

The only issue being that Meteor's network is at best flaky. I was on Meteor for almost a year but then switched to Vodafone because I couldn't stand the dropped calls, slow or no data, being unreachable with phone showing full signal, etc.

Yeah competition is great, but operators don't only compete on price. There is a reason why Meteor's prices are so much lower then the competitions and it is not that Meteor is so generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

House prices used to be mental in Ireland. Some people even bought more than one house. People have stopped buying houses. Now house prices have fallen dramatically.

People are still buying mobile phones. Some people are even buying more than one mobile phone........etc., etc. Doesn't take an economist to work out the rest! ;)

Meteor do not stock the particular phone I wanted and as another poster said they have still gotten an inferior network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I was looking at the N97 mini before Christmas with Vodafone and it was coming in at €199. About a month ago it was coming in at €99. It's now showing at €79 euro on their website.

I guess if you were to wait another 4-6 months you'd be paying €200-250 for an N900.

I suppose it's up to the buyer in this country to decide when it's the right time to make a purchase (as somebody said, like buying a house) but that's on the handset only.

I agree that the minutes/free texts price plans are crap when compared to other countries but I don't know how you can change that. Using the house comparison, complaining about the bad value in price plans is equivalent to complaining about having one of the highest electricity costs in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Lack of decent competition mainly..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If you completely read my post you will see that I was stating that the same phone on bill pay in the UK in less.
    I read your post and as has been pointed out to you using this as a direct comparison is useless, why not pick Belgium, Italy or some other EU state where sim free phones must be made available.
    There is no avenue to purchase the phone cheaper in Ireland or as a sim free pack from elsewhere.
    There are plenty. What you are looking for someone to match a subsidised price on a non subsidised fully featured phone. See how that works out for you, here or abroad.
    I was drawing a direct comparison between the cost of the same handset on relatively similar price plans between Ireland and the UK.
    This has been explained to you why you are comparing apples and oranges.
    I could not purchase the phone in the UK on the aforementioned plan as I would need to sign up to a bill pay contract in the UK which would be a non runner. Also I did plenty of research on the phone on all available networks.
    This is the subsidised vs actual price argument again.
    The cheapest price plan was €35 with vodafone which would give no free minutes and texts, so I decided to go for the €45 plan. O2, who I was with was charging me even more for the handset on an upgrade.
    Funny how, I can get the n900 on my current o2 plan and that is not €45, nor even €35 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

its not a matter of shopping around as meteor is indeed flakey or signal is non existant as i found out after been assured it would be ok in my area,our demand far outstrips the uk per capita and they know they just have to add the paddy tax as the bonus,can put up with price of phone but its the massive differential in minutes and free calls packages that really confirms the paddy tax,just today i was on to tesco about their ads for triple credit in uk while we are still on double,she didnt know,fair play to curreys at least,bought a 6 cu litres freezer for 170 delivered,the same as uk.

nereid wrote: »
    There are plenty. What you are looking for someone to match a subsidised price on a non subsidised fully featured phone. See how that works out for you, here or abroad.

No I'm not.
    Vodafone Ireland subsidised price €329.
    Vodafone UK subsidised price Free!
    This has been explained to you why you are comparing apples and oranges.

I don't agree. Just because accept that there is no comparison between a Vodafone offering in the UK and here doesn't mean I have to.
    This is the subsidised vs actual price argument again.

No it's not. Once again refer to my reply above regarding my comparison is between 2 subsidised offerings.
    Funny how, I can get the n900 on my current o2 plan and that is not €45, nor even €35 per month.[/

The N900 is more expensive to purchase on O2. I could have spent €389 on it with my existing plan on O2, but that comes with no data plan and the data add on is €6.17 per month for a miserable 250MB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I think thats pretty much it. The same reason my Car insurance is 1k herei n Ireland and about 300euro in the UK. Bigger population equals bigger competition. Ireland is a closed shop really. In fact I'm surprised we even get the "deals" we do get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

100gSoma wrote: »
    I think thats pretty much it. The same reason my Car insurance is 1k herei n Ireland and about 300euro in the UK. Bigger population equals bigger competition. Ireland is a closed shop really. In fact I'm surprised we even get the "deals" we do get.

Then how come stuff in cheaper in Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IKnowYou

In my opinion:
    1. People that do not want to work (note: I don't say can't work) on social welfare could easily afford 45/month plans + 329 for the phone.

2. Most people don't realise n900 can be bought for about 400 euros sim free and assume Vodafone Ireland had already subsidised a substantial amount.

3. Vodafone Ireland has 2 shops, less than 500m apart in my street. Must've had a fun time ripping off customers.

4. Irish Mobile operators offer pathetic mobile phones in general. When a good phone comes along demand will be very high, thus they capitalise on that.

This post should be transfered to Rip-Off Ireland. Unless I'm getting social welfare, I'm out of this country as soon as possible :p

IKnowYou wrote: »
    2. Most people don't realise n900 can be bought for about 400 euros sim free and assume Vodafone Ireland had already subsidised a substantial amount.

The only place i could find such a price was on eBay. I did not find any official distribution point for the handset at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that Northern Ireland is part of the UK has something to do with it???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

IKnowYou wrote: »
    In my opinion:
    1. People that do not want to work (note: I don't say can't work) on social welfare could easily afford 45/month plans + 329 for the phone.
    No they cannot.

I haven't seen it for anything less than 540 euro sim free.
    3. Vodafone Ireland has 2 shops, less than 500m apart in my street. Must've had a fun time ripping off customers.
    Everyone has to have a hobby I guess :pac:
    4. Irish Mobile operators offer pathetic mobile phones in general. When a good phone comes along demand will be very high, thus they capitalise on that.
    They offer fairly poor phones most of the time at expensive tariffs. Anything high end costs almost as much as it does sim free and not only that but price plans start at €40 for an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

BaZmO* wrote: »

It's part of the UK. The little bit of water between it and the mainland UK doesn't change the fact its part of a market economy/country with 62million people in it. Everything is cheaper. The networks in the UK don't have separate pricing and wenbsites in NI than mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement