Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor plant which doesn't require much light?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

As above really...

Is there anything, evergreen, largeish, and doesn't mind a darkish hallway with little natural light?

Mothers Day is looming..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As a very general rule, plants with dark green, reasonable tough leaves will do ok in shade. Birds nest fern and Boston fern are good, though need to be kept watered and not too near a radiator.
    Most of the Dracaenas and Cordylines (they are often mixed up) are ok. They are the one that either have a tall stem with a bunch of leaves a bit like a palm tree, or they have long broad leaves, often with stripes, growing from a central kind of funnel. There are lots of variations of these and can look quite different from each other. I have a tall Dracaena plant in a very gloomy spot and it has been fine for several years. With it is also what I think is a Calathea - a bunch of stalks with a single large leaf on the end of each, that has also been fine (except that the cats have shredded most of the lower leaves) Its pretty tough though.
    Philodendron with a dark green heart shaped leave - trailing - also called sweetheart plant - is happy in gloom.
    Monstera - swiss cheese plant - is also ok in shade but might be inclined to grow leggy.
    Rubber plant (Ficus - large leaved) is also good in shade.
    There are some others but these would be the most common to find. Don't buy ivy, it looks suitable but is not happy indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Many thanks, I will write a list and head off looking one of the suggestions tomorrow. :)

Looksee, if I may pick your brains a little about cordylines? I have one (well I thought I did - sounds like it might be a Dracaena from your post) but it's in the garden and has been planted for about 4 years and is now HUGE (I fit it in a carrier bag when I bought it - it's about 12 feet high now). During the cold weather the very top leaves wilted and went yellow, so it's looking a bit sad. Should I cut them off (if I can find a ladder...), will it survive having its head chopped off? :pac: Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry, I really don't know anything about the big cordylines, TMB, I know that pretty well all of them have done that this winter, and I have seen suggestions to wait and they will revive. Also I think that if you cut them right down they will sprout again, I think they are pretty well unkillable, but maybe someone who has experience of them will tell you.

Incidentally almost all of the plants I mentioned are the ones you tend to see in places like Homebase and Woodies, they are not particualrly rare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks for that, I think I'd need a chainsaw to cut this baby down!

I'll leave it for a month or two and see how it goes. It's nice, except for it's wilting top.

I have a Homebase near me, will hit that tomorrow. Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rkdfloral

its no a dracena they are only indoor plants, it is a cordaline, its not dead, it will come back again, just pull off the old leaves, If you have already cut it down, well its still not dead and 95% chance it will start again after a few weeks,

Advertisement