Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slatted House Designs and Plans

• 08-03-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Decided to make the jump and build myself a slatted shed. Probably 3 bay single with straw lying area at the back.
    Never used Teagasc in the past, and don't seem to be able to find any downloadable plans on their web site.
    Is there any other source for shed plans I could use for the purposes of getting a quote for the job from one or two builders.
    Would appreciate any guidance in this respect.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Hello,

Decided to make the jump and build myself a slatted shed. Probably 3 bay single with straw lying area at the back.
    Never used Teagasc in the past, and don't seem to be able to find any downloadable plans on their web site.
    Is there any other source for shed plans I could use for the purposes of getting a quote for the job from one or two builders.
    Would appreciate any guidance in this respect.

Thanks

Hello,

The Dept of Ag has some stuff - http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingspecificationswordformat/

Not sure how much use it'll be.

Best o luck with the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

This might be of help, see below.

S101 and S123 are also good on the link on the previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

pakalasa wrote: »

Thanks for the links. I guess I just need to call in to the local Teagasc office and get a set of plans. How does the Teagasc system work? Do I need to pay an annual sub, or membership, or can I just get / buy a set of these plans?

TB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Tora Bora, just wondering have you not considered gettin an architect to look at doing some drawings for you. I am an architectural Technologist and drew a few sheds back in the good aul days of the grant, includin my own which i am delighted with i must admit. I joined Tegasc at the time, had to cause needed a qualified agricultural consultant to sign off on the paper work as far as i remember. Must admit i found them pretty useless. If you want a shed drawn up drop me an email barryoc1@gmail.com I can send you on images and drawings of my own as an example if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

What part of the country are you in? You could try your local Agricultural Consultant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

pakalasa wrote: »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wondering could you tell me where you got this PDF. I wanted to look at a few suckler house designs and on your pdf there is a contents pg with what I was looking for. Is there any way I cuold access these suckler house designs? Thanks, JP.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wondering could you tell me where you got this PDF. I wanted to look at a few suckler house designs and on your pdf there is a contents pg with what I was looking for. Is there any way I cuold access these suckler house designs? Thanks, JP.

JP,
    Don't know for sure. I may have downloaded it and had it on my own computer. I'll have a look again later.

Try here for starters anyway, for what you're looking for;
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingspecificationspdfformat/

JP,

Yep, I had it on the home computer. Don't know where I got it. Must have been the Teagasc site. I googled it but no luck!

Some info here on creep / slatted sheds that might be usefull;
    http://www.teagasc.ie/research/reports/beef/4425/eopr-4425.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 epff

just my two cents
    i left teagasc this year after being with them for several years
    i found most of their thinking fully backwards
    advisers knew their stuff in theory but very few had ever actually ever put into practice.

my advice
    look at a few sheds on simular farms
    chat to users about what they would change
    then draw up your own rough scetch on a fag box
    get someone with a little engineering experience to put on cad

ps think future
    room to expand
    your old age
    less labour round farm

epff wrote: »
    just my two cents
    i left teagasc this year after being with them for several years
    i found most of their thinking fully backwards
    advisers knew their stuff in theory but very few had ever actually ever put into practice.

my advice
    look at a few sheds on simular farms
    chat to users about what they would change
    then draw up your own rough scetch on a fag box
    get someone with a little engineering experience to put on cad

ps think future
    room to expand
    your old age
    less labour round farm

Ya, I used to actually get alot of work off teagasc on the side, during the grant years. I drew up and got planning for over 30 slatted units, but they were all dairy farms. I'm looking at sucklers, for maybe 20 - 25 cows. We only gave up milking few years ago.All the lads round here are at dairy so dont know anyone i could visit to look at their set up. If I got any rough idea atall what I should include in it I'd then draw it up myself. Any advice on what people find handy, what they're not happy with etc in a similar unit? I got onto teagasc and they're sending me out a booklet of sample plans, just like to get some first hand advice before I settle on the final design...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi johnpawl, Are the cows autumn or spring calving? reason I ask is if the shed is only for dry cows it can be a lot simpler, also have you straw on the farm and will you be feeding bale silage or pit silage? What part of the country are you in?

Sorry about all the questions!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hi johnpawl, Are the cows autumn or spring calving? reason I ask is if the shed is only for dry cows it can be a lot simpler, also have you straw on the farm and will you be feeding bale silage or pit silage? What part of the country are you in?

Sorry about all the questions!

Spring calving, baled silage. I'd have to buy straw. I'm in N
    north Cork! Any recommendations? Thanks for reply btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm presuming it will only be for dry cows and maybe calving ?
    • Diaganol head rails to stop them pulling in feed and having it going down slats.
    • Calve them out on a sheltered paddock near the yard.
    • Do a big sloped hob at back of the slatted pen and put a rubber mat on it
    • You say you were in dairying, have you cubicles?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

for sucking cows my wish would be to have all the following spaces under one roof

1. slatted dry cow pen
    2. straw bedded pen for cows approaching calving so its not the end of the world if there is an accident and she calves there.
    3. calving boxes, 1to12 cows.
    4. straw bedded nursing pen for cows/calves till calves are 2weeks old
    5. slatted pen with a straw creep area for calves to run back too.
    6. separate shed then for a couple of isolation pens
    also a handy sheltered paddock adjacent for items 2-5 but most mportantly for item 4

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm presuming it will only be for dry cows and maybe calving ?
    • Diaganol head rails to stop them pulling in feed and having it going down slats.
    • Calve them out on a sheltered paddock near the yard.
    • Do a big sloped hob at back of the slatted pen and put a rubber mat on it
    • You say you were in dairying, have you cubicles?

Yeah, used be in dairy, but I didnt inherit the yard so no cubicles or anything. I might draw up the plans n give ye a look at them see what ye think...

Got some sample plans off teagasc today, basically they have the cows eating and lying on the slats, with a slanted straw bedded area at the back for calving and creep feeding. Coming from dairy, we always had the cows lying on cuicles, is there any prob with having them lying on the slats?
    It'd be a three bay single tank, e100 a linear foot for a 14'6'' tank now roughly and e6 a square foot for the shed according to teagasc. Including feed barriers etc It looks like costing me e20k for the whole thing. Does this fit in with the figures by people who have built similar? Sheds 14.4 x 13.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Black Cat 1976

any one any idea how much it would cost to build a 3 bay slatted shed. calving is done in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farmerka

hi 3 bay slated shed what you talking about is open or close? think about 10k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

farmerka wrote: »
    hi 3 bay slated shed what you talking about is open or close? think about 10k

Would it be even possible to get a 3 bay tank and slats on top for €10k???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    Would it be even possible to get a 3 bay tank and slats on top for €10k???

heard of chap near home that had a 4 bay tank with slats up for 12k and think that included the VAT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

heard of chap near home that had a 4 bay tank with slats up for 12k and think that included the VAT

I wonder was it with the wide or narrow slats. My 3 bay tank with out 14ft 6" slats was 12k in 2008. Slats were another 4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    I wonder was it with the wide or narrow slats. My 3 bay tank with out 14ft 6" slats was 12k in 2008. Slats were another 4k.

couldnt say now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i prices slats last week. to cover a tank including agitation point was €1890 (plus vat) for a 42ft L x 12ft 6" tank.

Tank will cost me € 800 cement (readymix or pan mixer ;0)) and about €1700 worth of blocks. €400 to plaster .sundries the rest €900 so approx € 4000 plus vat for the tank

shed would be 3100 net to cover it

Drinkers €70, Water pipe and a few fittings €250 electric €150 barriers 18ft 2 x €275 and dividing gate €300 Total € 1320

Shed there is €10,310 - Thats me digging it out myself and doing the block work and erecting the shed

so i should be able to get 3 bay open shed with calf creep area up 4 around 15k. would i be better building a open or closed shed. if i was to go closed would it cost much more ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

talking to a man who builds tanks. 3 bay 14 6 with slats and backfilled 7500 plus vat

just got the slats on the tank there during the week, tractor slats. 12 inch walls, 30 newton concrete, 8 foot deep, 14ft6 wide. 9800 + vat - this includes digging out also but not backfilling.Tank 53ft long

how much do u hope to have the shed up 4 in total?? r u putting an extra into it??

Advertisement