Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leeks

Options
  • 08-03-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

I gre leeks in my heated propagator and now transfer them to small pots, when do you transfer them outside?

I have a plastic tunnel thing so was thinking paddy's day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are transplanting leeks plant them in something fairly deep - we usually use a deep plastic tray well filled with compost, but you can put them in reasonably close. You need to allow the roots to grow straight down. While they will stand well into the winter when they are grown, they are better planted out when the soil has warmed up a bit - around May, depending where you live (we are in the south east on the coast).

When you plant them out make a deep straight hole with a dibber, drop in the plant so the roots go down first (not hooked upwards) then just water in carefully with a watering can without the spray. They end up well down in the soil but in a hole, this will mean they will grow nice and clean.

Some people trim a bit off the roots and top with scissors when transplanting.

Advertisement