Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian lasagne or quiche?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Hey All!First time in here :D I have friends coming round for dinner on wednesday and 2 are vegetarian. Im thinking of buying a veggie lasagne or quiche. Could anyone recommend somewhere that does a tasty one to buy thanks? Im not a great cook but if anyone also has a relatively easy recipe that would be good too thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love quiche!!

You can buy frozen pastry which is really handy! Let it defrost and line a baking tray with a removeable base.

Make sure you use free range eggs as most veggies would do that in their own homes anyway.

I find if you seperate the eggs and beat the white before adding in the beaten yolk you get a lighter filling.

My favourite things to add would be goats cheese (be sure to check it's veggie) olives (chopped) and cherry tomatoes (chopped). But you can add anything really. roasted veggies are lovely in it. I usually bake it at 200 until it is set right through (I'v never timed it I'm sorry, but no longer than 30mins)

Another lovely and easy veggie dish is to get frozen puff pastry and let it thaw. Wilt some spinach and throw in a tub of ricotta, salt & pepper and a little pinch of nutmeg. Spread it onto the pasty and roll it up like a swiss roll. Then egg wash the roll and mak some cuts along the top and bake it at 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I feel kind of bad for throwing this on you but make sure they both eat eggs and dairy. A lot of people would just say they are vegetarian for handyness sake but might be any number of combinations of it. Eggs/no milk, milk/no eggs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kevin JM

You can try this awesome lasagna recipe by Veganlovlie :
    http://www.veganlovlie.com/2008/03/aubergine-and-mushroom-lasagna_28.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thanks for that! I think i might give the lasagne a go. I really am a rubbish cook so can anyone answer these probably v basic questions

1.Do you need to peel the skin off the aubergine or just slice as is?

2.Would courgette be nice in that recipe instead of mushrooms?

3.Im making bruschetta for starters. Can i pre-chop the tomatoes in the morning and mix with the basil ready to go for the evening?Will they go to mush that way? Trying to save time.;)

4.Can i pre roast the peppers for the lasagne that morning too or do they have to be roasted more or less before making the full thing?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You don't need to peel aubergine
    Courgette tastes very different to mushrooms... So if you know the recipe works with mushrooms, maybe leave them. Still, no harm experimenting with flavours!
    The tomatoes would taste a lot better if you chopped them right before you use them - they are quick to chop and won't take you long.
    And yes, pre-roast the peppers in the morning and mix them with a little olive oil and place in a sealed contained in the fridge.

I'm sure everone might have slightly different opinions, but that's how I'd do it :) Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kevin JM

I would say the mushrooms would give a better combination of flavours. You may try the courgettes but it might be a bit too bland for a vegetarian lasagna.
    You don't need to peel the aubergine, just slice. But make sure they are lightly fried before putting them in the lasagna, they will taste much better.
    Pre-roast peppers sound good. Or you could lightly fry them at the same time as the aubergines.

For the lasagna, make sure you have enough tomato sauce or pasta sauce. Lasagna soak up quite a lot of liquid as this is what actually cooks the lasagna sheets. It's better to have more than too little.

Are you thinking about making dessert as well?

You can make this rich chocolate cake from theppk.com the day before:
    http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?RecipeID=124
    It will taste better the next day.
    For frosting you could do something as simple as melting some chocolate with a bit of margarine in the microwave and pouring over the cake on the day in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jmay

I love quiche!!

You can buy frozen pastry which is really handy! Let it defrost and line a baking tray with a removeable base.

Make sure you use free range eggs as most veggies would do that in their own homes anyway.

I find if you seperate the eggs and beat the white before adding in the beaten yolk you get a lighter filling.

My favourite things to add would be goats cheese (be sure to check it's veggie) olives (chopped) and cherry tomatoes (chopped). But you can add anything really. roasted veggies are lovely in it. I usually bake it at 200 until it is set right through (I'v never timed it I'm sorry, but no longer than 30mins)

Another lovely and easy veggie dish is to get frozen puff pastry and let it thaw. Wilt some spinach and throw in a tub of ricotta, salt & pepper and a little pinch of nutmeg. Spread it onto the pasty and roll it up like a swiss roll. Then egg wash the roll and mak some cuts along the top and bake it at 200.

this sounds really good! just wondering how many eggs would you use? & do you mix anything with them or just beat them & pour them over the tomatoes/veg/whatever? thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

anniehoo wrote: »
    1.Do you need to peel the skin off the aubergine or just slice as is?

2.Would courgette be nice in that recipe instead of mushrooms?

1. You don't have to, it's done differently in different countries through, some places do it.

2. I think most people would prefer mushrooms but sure try things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jmay wrote: »
    this sounds really good! just wondering how many eggs would you use? & do you mix anything with them or just beat them & pour them over the tomatoes/veg/whatever? thanks

I wouldn't mix the eggs with anything, I'm not sure if it would set if milk or cream were mixed in.

It depends on the size of your baking dish and how full of veggies/cheese you have your pastry. I'd say start with 4, but be prepared to add more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

Not to put you off but I'd say check if they do eat eggs/dairy too, just in case :) They'll be delighted you're going to the effort, but not all veggies eat cheese or eggs. I wouldn't eat lasagne or quiche myself for e.g even though I eat some dairy. It's best to check - maybe they love both those dishes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement