Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No broadband although phone line in place?

• 08-03-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Heya!

just got told bei Eircom that they can't provide us with broadband in our new place (even though we have an Eircom phoneline, and broadband is available in the area). Sales couldnt answer my question as to why, and tech support told me to ring sales ("because they want to sell, and if they can't do it, there's a reason." Your man must not have been working with them long...).

Anyhoo, apparently there's an ISDN line in the house - could which according to Eircom means that they can't put in broadband? Does this make sense?

And how would I go about getting Eircom to provide broadband?

Does anyone have any information in this sort of scenario? Appreciate your input!

Cheers,

galah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

galah wrote: »
    Heya!

just got told bei Eircom that they can't provide us with broadband in our new place (even though we have an Eircom phoneline, and broadband is available in the area). Sales couldnt answer my question as to why, and tech support told me to ring sales ("because they want to sell, and if they can't do it, there's a reason." Your man must not have been working with them long...).

Anyhoo, apparently there's an ISDN line in the house - could which according to Eircom means that they can't put in broadband? Does this make sense?

And how would I go about getting Eircom to provide broadband?

Does anyone have any information in this sort of scenario? Appreciate your input!

Cheers,

galah

ISDN is digital. Broadband is an analogue product. To get broadband on a phone line you need to remove the ISDN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

ok, cheers.

How difficult/expensive would it be to change the line, then, or would this be completely impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Just get the ISDN removed from the line, then your line should soon be flagged as "able to carry broadband" by eircom.

They make more money from isdn and so aren`t very helpful in situations like yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

galah wrote: »
    ok, cheers.

How difficult/expensive would it be to change the line, then, or would this be completely impossible?

Just tell eircom you wish to cancel the isdn line. They will come and remove the box if you ask then in a month you may be able to get broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cheers again guys!

Spoke to Eircom again (2 more different agents), and it seems this will be resolved. Technician is coming out in the next 10 days, so fingers crossed it'll work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement