Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Stream Back Next Week

Options
  • 08-03-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭

Looks like the Jet Stream is back from the Med holidays and will be over us by next week bringing back Atlantic weather to our shores. Dont think it will stay too long as it dips down over the Med again.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'll be gald to see it back, it's -2.2C here, not even 9pm yet and its the middle of March!!! I'm sick of the cold. Some depressing wet mild weather will suit me fine . . .unless theres a chance of snow . . .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Could we finally see a significant rise in temps as we head into next week?

ECMWF 12z outlook for next Tuesday 18z:

107186.jpg

Will be interesting to see if the Atlantic can break through proper this time, although there just seems to be the slightest hint on the models this evening that the influence of the current blocking high, despite a forecast movement to the south, may not give up its hold as quickly as first thought, with ridging still forming on the northern edge of its core before it finally loses the battle.

Will be interesting to see if and how that Atlantic influence does break though eventually. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it would tally with what the uk met office monthly outlook for March indicated, which was for a gradual breakdown to begin around the middle of the month.
    What ever about their long range forecast for last winter, their monthly outlook over the past two months has been spot on.

it would tally with what the uk met office monthly outlook for March indicated, which was for a gradual breakdown to begin around the middle of the month.
    What ever about their long range forecast for last winter, their monthly outlook over the past two months has been spot on.

I haven't forgotten your prediction last week that we may see a return to a more usual Atlantic set up around the middle of the month. If you are proved right on this, then my hat* will come off to you and I shall at last acknowledge your supreme omnipotence. :)

*not that I wear a hat or anything...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Could we finally see a significant rise in temps as we head into next week?

ECMWF 12z outlook for next Tuesday 18z:

107186.jpg

Will be interesting to see if the Atlantic can break through proper this time, although there just seems to be the slightest hint on the models this evening that the influence of the current blocking high, despite a forecast movement to the south, may not give up its hold as quickly as first thought, with ridging still forming on the northern edge of its core before it finally loses the battle.

Will be interesting to see if and how that Atlantic influence does break though eventually. :cool:

Clambering into the FI for an Atlantic Break through , who would of thought it ! LOL

It seems to only last for the one day , a brief flirt
    107202.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We need warm air dragged up from Africa at this stage, soil temperatures are so low that grass is not growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amen, Min; was wondering how you were getting on.

All surfaces etc indoors are filled with trays and pots of seeds; no way can anything be planted or even any soil preparation. All is frozen solid every morning.

No leaves budding out on trees yet.

Desperate.
    Min wrote: »
    We need warm air dragged up from Africa at this stage, soil temperatures are so low that grass is not growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

so our summer will b in march/april again this year:mad:

i hope its not but going by the last few years this is wat happened:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How did you draw that conclusion from reading this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

A dry pattern persisting with the weather with another brief wet interlude at 15th Mar - 18th possibly then the High says.................well what the hell.. I owe Ireland a lot of fine weather after the last 3 years so Ill come back and lure them in to a false sense of security before the Summer and then you come in Stationary Low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

pauldry wrote: »
    A dry pattern persisting with the weather with another brief wet interlude at 15th Mar - 18th possibly then the High says.................well what the hell.. I owe Ireland a lot of fine weather after the last 3 years so Ill come back and lure them in to a false sense of security before the Summer and then you come in Stationary Low

Sounds familiar :mad: weren't February and March dryer than any of the summer months last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

This weather at the moment is very interesting.

It is a bit disconcerting to suspect that we may be getting this as a tease before the usual persistant wet jet stream summers, but then again the weather has been so out of character for the last few months who knows what bizarre weather mother nature amy bring us in June, July and August.

Based on my 'wishful thinking forecast model', I'm predicting a barbecue summer for us and Spain will become known as New-Ireland. ;)

I notice the farmers have started complaining about growth; yet in recent years growth was getting that early - with the mild winters - it was nearly happening at New Year. This year is probably more normal and will do the land the world of good.

A chart that is too far out to be taken seriously:

107286.gif
    hopefully a signal that things are stirrin' up towards the last 3rd of the month :). I am sure also that the relative warmth contained in the flow the ECMWF chart is showing will be welcomed by most.

Advertisement