Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Fest - March 13th 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ajdb

Aidric wrote: »
    It was worth seeing though I wouldn't be going over the top in praising it.

Only saw it on TV and I thought the music selection was terrible.... switched off after about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Long shot - But did anyone notice when RTE were showing scenic images from around Ireland there was a Castle with some sort of a Bridge or Causeway out to it?

- Looked interesting, Google searched and Dunluce Castle in Northern Ireland was best match but not sure if its the one.

13-Dunluce-isle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Yep, that's Dunluce all right. I was up there a few years back, it's a lovely part of the country. Here's a photo from another angle..
    http://kevoto.com/157

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

fizzy cola wrote: »
    We watched it from Arthurs Quay park and have to say the castle and the strand looked great. The fireworks were fantastic. I'm just wondering where were the bands and street entertainment we were promised. We were in the park from about 6 onwards and didn't see anything.

Well lads, this I'm confused about too. There are at least two fire performing groups based here in Limerick, one of these groups was approached over a month ago by the organisers of Sky Fest to perform on the night, we organised everything, performers, props, equipment, costumes, agreed a fee etc, but on the Wednesday 10th evening, before the show we received a message from the contact person saying the Fire Marshall for the event had said no to any fire performers....now I was at the event anyway and DID notice there WERE in fact fire performers over by the Shannon Rowing club boathouse area for anyone who was viewing from Aurther's Quay Park and also up by King John's Castle for the duration of the display....

This group was fair entertaining alright, based in Galway as far as I know. They were no more professional or experienced than our own here however, (who have experience in club work and festivals through Dublin based Grooveyard Events in the past) I'm obviously a bit biased here now but I have to say it was a bit insulting to the local crowd to see that going on after the excuse we were given. (We could have understood and explained to our performers if the other crowd had been hired first, had a more competitive price or whatever the actual reason was, if they were straight with us about it, its the lie they told that's eating me alive here like... I know I know, get over it already like :rolleyes:) Way to go to support local talent anyway lads. That's a nice bit of pocket money that could have stayed in Limerick too, if ye get me. rant rant rant. Not a happy bunny. :mad:

On a more positive note, this kind of shenanegan was great for what it was. I agree there could have been a bit more live music.. Riverfest got it right in 2007 if anyone remembers the ministage down by the Lock Bar... We have the talent here in Limerick to put together some seriously entertaining free events like this (maybe on a smaller scale like...) but if you think about it, we have two colleges who each run Music Technology (sound engineering and performance) courses and a Video course, Event Management courses.... just need a bit of motivation, organisation and positivity to put it all to good use! The graduates are only crying out for an outlet like, look at the likes of our own home grown mini-festival for charity (Great Friday) run by a local LIT Event Management Graduate, it can be done like, and I'd love to see more of it! ;)

....by the way, did anyone else notice the part right before the fireworks began where the presenter asked the crowd "Are you all having a good time?" and the crowd went "No!"?! haha classic Limerick, gotta love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good posts there NyquistFreak.
    I did not realise local talent had been cancelled just before the skyfest.
    I agree there is plenty of talent in Limerick both in performance and organisation. I was at the 'Love Haiti' event which was very well organised and enjoyable.

I arrived late at the event and went directly to Arthurs Quay as I saw a stage there. I expected to see/hear entertainment from the stage but the huge crowd was just kept waiting. The crowd were in good form and didn't seem to annoyed. But there wasn't some performers is hard to understand. An opportunity lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement