Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options
  • 08-03-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with it this year? Seems a bit quiet today compared to the Monday last year when it was like the battle of Fallujah around town. Is it safe to go out or is the mentalness still on the way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The bridge is on fire. Or well the scrub underneath it was a wee while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There was a big crowd on the bridge this morning, I presume they were drinking. Gaurds came and made them leave.

I don't see the attraction of drinking on or under the bridge. I'm a student and if it was the last location on earth that I could have a drink in, I still wouldn't be caught dead drinking on or under the Quincentennial Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Is it the NUI rag week this week? does that mean it was the GMIT one there a few weeks ago. There seems to be alot of people toting around cans today alright and there was a big crowd around that diddly aye pub at the end of shop street (cant remember the name of if).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
    I love Rag Week.

CONSTERNATION! UPROAR!
    I hate Rag Week.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
    I love Rag Week.

CONSTERNATION! UPROAR!
    I hate Rag Week.
    <insert quote from concerned resident>

<insert quote from outraged public representative>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Plenty of variously rowdy and sheepish students in Tesco this morning buying or attempting to buy booze. One particularly young looking well dressed wee girl queuing with 8 cans of Strongbow. The incongruity made me LOL.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Plenty of variously rowdy and sheepish students in Tesco this morning buying or attempting to buy booze. One particularly young looking well dressed wee girl queuing with 8 cans of Strongbow. The incongruity made me LOL.
    Incongruity always makes me lol. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

drinking under the bridge? whats the point of that? and in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

"Monday Drinkin Under the Bridge" was one of those events that was posted on facebook.... Last night it had 3400 people RSVP'd as attending.... Was half tempted to just drive by and see how many ACTUALLY went.

As for it being quiet? All the clubs have canceled their day events like the foam parties etc... Hang on til around 7pm and then say it's quiet... I think you might change your statement then :P

Or you could always hang around til 1//2am in Eyre Square.... Busier than 5pm on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

thats ridiculous! im all for having the craic and lord knows i did when i was a student and did rag weeks but thats gone beyond rag week, in fact its pretty pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

there are large crowds the whole way up dangan pitches doin their thing which is fine by me.they should try keep it to the college grounds and let them run loose

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Some rave on in Dangan later I think...

I think canceling the day gigs around town was pointless... So there would be a few more people around town? Isn't it better than having a load of drunken students acting the maggot under a bridge by water?
    Or having a couple hundred people making a mess in a number of fields which will never get cleaned up?

Stick everyone in the same spot is what I say...
    You wouldn't let a whole bunch of babies run riot around knocknacarra.... You'd keep them all in the creche where you can see em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

fend wrote: »

Stick everyone in the same spot is what I say...
    You wouldn't let a whole bunch of babies run riot around knocknacarra.... You'd keep them all in the creche where you can see em!

Don't tell what I wouldn't do!!:mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

skelliser wrote: »
    drinking under the bridge? whats the point of that? and in the morning!

Bit of a tradition, the ole Monday morning drinking under the bridge.

Would love to be partaking in the rag week festivities again - I hate growing up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Incongruity always makes me lol. :P

Googles incongruity, resulting definition: Lack of congruence

Googles congruence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What's the story with it this year? Seems a bit quiet today compared to the Monday last year when it was like the battle of Fallujah around town. Is it safe to go out or is the mentalness still on the way?

I dunno, Clemon mustn't have gotten into first gear yet, probably sleeping off a hangover......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847426

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I've just caught about 6 rag week students pissing around and up against my car, while it was parked in a private business in the middle of town.

And the worst thing was, 2 of them were women doing it. Fcuking scumbags.

I fcuking hate rag week and everything to do with it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Col200sx wrote: »
    I've just caught about 6 rag week students pissing around and up against my car, while it was parked in a private business in the middle of town.

I fcuking hate rag week and everything to do with it:mad:
    Pics or it didn't happen..............

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Did students set fire to Westside sports pitch (the scrubby hilly bit) or was this some other inspired bright sparks? (I like the pun :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I posted earlier in the NUIG forum about how I hate rag week..corrib village was full of tools running around in red stetsons and shirtless lads :confused:

I enjoyed it when I was in college, to a degree (were allowed to drink outside the Baily Allen Hall which was nice and summery)...went to gigs, a stupid beach party in some pub, but I don't think overall people were as thick as they are these day...pissing against a car? FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Little My wrote: »
    Did students set fire to Westside sports pitch (the scrubby hilly bit) or was this some other inspired bright sparks? (I like the pun :) )

One of the neighbours was having a bonfire earlier, which was unconnected to rag week, I'd say some people are just taking advantage of the good weather to clear up a bit. Although saying that doesn't mean there won't be some rag week inspired fires too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

The canceling of day night clubs was the best thing to happen so far. It gets students really away from the center of town. Now its really down to the Student Union to really get students to stay on campus. Organisation fo good events, concerts and other activites. Even organinsing things away from the town center.

The NUIG student union is the main people that can create or break a good RAG week to the public and the students. if they organise it properly then you will have a lot less trouble in and around the town area. If not, it could end up being the hell hole galway was last year.

That being said, there are the odd students and hell i heard of students coming down from UL, UCC and DCU for galway rag week as it is appertly legendary. So with students from other colleges coming down to act the maggot the law force needs to be peltyful and strict around town.

So really i think a RAG week that can both students have fun and the public not to distress with damages is down to a few people.

Student Union
    Gardai
    Publicans not seeing €€€ instead of students and actualy rejecting them when they have to much

Also not having both colleges in Galway(NUIG/GMIT) having their rag week at the same time.

I am a student myself, but i think the students go over board during rag week and act like complete idiotic eejits that have no respect to anyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't think overall people were as thick as they are these day...pissing against a car? FFS.

I think my day and yours were the same. When I was in final year I got a lift from my Mam who picked me up at the Garryowen house entrance and a pisshead jumped out in front of the car, started banging on the bonnet, then leapt up on it, whipped out his mickey and christened the windscreen. Mam accidentally on purpose let the clutch hop up jolting the car and knocking him off.

We called the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Columc wrote: »
    Also not having both colleges in Galway(NUIG/GMIT) having their rag week at the same time.

GMIT had there one on the week before last and it was generally quiet. Its the NUIG one that causes all the hassle afaic...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Columc wrote: »

So really i think a RAG week that can both students have fun and the public not to distress with damages is down to a few people.

Student Union
    Gardai
    Publicans not seeing €€€ instead of students and actualy rejecting them when they have to much

I like how you've absolved students of any responsibility here. It's down to students to cop the f*ck on to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Col200sx wrote: »

:

Oh that's right! I forgot that female wee has +700% acidity than male wee, and can corrode automobile metal. How awful!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think my day and yours were the same. When I was in final year I got a lift from my Mam who picked me up at the Garryowen house entrance and a pisshead jumped out in front of the car, started banging on the bonnet, then leapt up on it, whipped out his mickey and christened the windscreen. Mam accidentally on purpose let the clutch hop up jolting the car and knocking him off.

We called the guards.

That's ridiculous. Is Rag week a licence for this sort of thick behaviour? I know a friend's dad used to do hackneys and i remember one rag week night he picked us up...it was like a scene from a horror movie with drunk students mauling the car and climbing on the bonnet in Eyre Square..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

That's ridiculous. Is Rag week a licence for this sort of thick behaviour?

That's just it. It is. Everyone has come to expect it. What incentive do they have to not go completely mad? The way I hear some people talk about it, it's like it's the only reason they come to college at all, it definitely isn't to learn anything academic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

That's just it. It is. Everyone has come to expect it. What incentive do they have to not go completely mad? The way I hear some people talk about it, it's like it's the only reason they come to college at all, it definitely isn't to learn anything academic anyway.
    Well, if this is the effect of the Celtic tiger on the youth of the nation, they are in for some landing when they graduate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Town was pretty mad and messy last night, with not a guard in sight (where I was anyway)

A special prize to the young woman who tottered down Abbeygate St and into Middle St before dropping her kickers and attempting to squat and pee. Unfortunately she was so far gone that she couldn't even manage to stand for the act. Pure class. I'm sure she'll go far.

We considered taking pics, but decided she wasn't worth the energy.

Rag week makes me want to go back to college, get an advanced degree and become an academic, just so I could and set compulsory labs and assignments for this week, and terms test for next week. ;)

Advertisement