Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That's ridiculous. Is Rag week a licence for this sort of thick behaviour? I know a friend's dad used to do hackneys and i remember one rag week night he picked us up...it was like a scene from a horror movie with drunk students mauling the car and climbing on the bonnet in Eyre Square..

Rag week is basically a week of opportunity for the biggest attention seeking spoiled students to do what they do best - seek attention and act like twats. It's a competition to see who can be the most outrageous, they all want everyone talking about them.

Rag could be a good week for everyone to enjoy but there is a number of total mongs who ruin it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

KevR wrote: »

Rag could be a good week for everyone to enjoy but there is a number of total mongs who ruin it in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

unJustMary wrote: »

We considered taking pics, but decided she wasn't worth the energy.

For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I used to love rag week when I was in college and we'd get sloshed like anyone else but we certainly never caused any trouble. It just seems more aggressive these days. We're right in town and our doorbell went earlier this evening and my flatmate answered it and there was 7 or 8 drunk young fellas there looking to come in. Obviously the flatmate told them that they had the wrong house so he went to close the door and one of them gave an almighty boot to the door as he was closing it. He said he would have loved to have clattered him but with a gang of them there he just shut the door on them. I have the car parked outside all night and I have visions of students dancing on the bonnet later tonight. Last year during rag week I came down one morning to find footprints all over my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I like how you've absolved students of any responsibility here. It's down to students to cop the f*ck on to be honest

I also like how you didnt put in the end of my post
    ColumC wrote:
    I am a student myself, but i think the students go over board during rag week and act like complete idiotic eejits that have no respect to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

see they have this parked on eyre square http://www.vasvinyl.co.uk/files/GardaCameraVan.JPG didnt need it fot gmit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bit of a tradition, the ole Monday morning drinking under the bridge.

there was never a tradition of drinkin under the bridge on monday morning not unless traditions are 2 years in a row!

Respect is the word thats missing here, we got shtifaced all thru rag week but never caused trouble or interfered with residents or property in our area.

I saw that van in eyre square when i drove thru town earlier, pretty busy with alot of victims stumbling around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

see they have this parked on eyre square http://www.vasvinyl.co.uk/files/GardaCameraVan.JPG didnt need it fot gmit!

It was in Eyre Square (on many occasions) and Spanish Arch during GMIT's RAG week.

I find a lot of NUI Galway trashing and a lot of GMIT halos going around on this subject and i honestly find that to be BS. As someone who studied in both, i found Murrough, Glasan, Merlin to be in much worse states of ASB than Newcastle, Rahoon, Claddagh or Woodquay during RAG week. Classes being interupted, the salmon on the weir being messed with, the swashtika on the hooker, the road signs in renmore disappearing, the death in glasan, bodkins getting thrashed, etc all on GMIT's week/GMIT students. Granted NUIG did have that River Inn incident with the Leitrim lads, Corrib Village in general and the loitering around the canal, catherderal, etc every ****in' year.

The fact that NUIG students tend to do GMIT's RAG week might have something to do with it or NUIG's 18,000 students. I also think GMIT's SU should really try get some activities going on that week that strech past an Iron stomach or something in the libary bar, etc.

Well at least it's not as bad as Sligo, which is essentially the nearest thing this country has to a weekend in Vegas.

Just my 2cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i was in town everynight during gmit's rag week and never once saw that garda van. afaik there was 3 arrests during that week also.
    we will see what happens this week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, I've only seen one (mild) bit of hassle so far this year, and that turned out to be a couple of local GTI lads, not NUIG or indeed GMIT at all.

And that's often the way, locals and indeed complete visitors letting loose because they know the college students will get the blame.

I'm not suggesting that all college students are angels, there's a minority that need a shoe inserted where they sit, but the majority are fine and no worse than we were at that age.

To blame all 18.000 college NUIG students for the stupidities of a few eeejits (and diverse hangers-on) is like extrapolating from one woman driver backing into a wall that all women drivers are sh1t ... and I well know how bruised and battered my (metaphorical) nads would be if I dared to make any such accusation on this site!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

skelliser wrote: »
    i was in town everynight during gmit's rag week and never once saw that garda van. afaik there was 3 arrests during that week also.
    we will see what happens this week

As it was definitely in Eyre Square for an hour or two on Wednesday. I was n Richardson's myself. Saw it early enough on Thursday evening there too in Eyre Square and Spanish Arch.

I think GMIT rag week was exceptionally well behaved this year. That being said i thought it was quite tame, the number out during the week and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I went to GMIT and lived beside and with NUIG students. From going to GMIT it seemed most people I knew would only go out for 1 or 2 nights during Rag Week. I tended to have an assessment exam plonked some day during the week and I know alot of others had the same. Also anyone on a grant needed to keep up attendance as it was being monitored there.

For NUIG it seems people take pride in how drunk they are when going in for mandatory labs during the week. Rag Week didn't seem too bad until about 3 or 4 years ago. Something has changed. Last year and the year before in particular were disgraceful. GMIT students are bad, NUIG are terrible and then stick them together for a few years and you get the perfect storm of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Just a little note. Coming home from work yesterday in my banger of a car. Drove over the Quincentenary Bridge @ 15:55 and I stopped to let a few lads cross the road as the traffic was building up about 500 yards from the lights. I take a left at the filling station and down Newcastle. The boys were drinking cans and that’s when I copped that it was rag week, the memories came flooding back of days gone by when I could be pissed at 4 o'clock in the day of a Monday and not give a rats ass.

Then it got nasty, some of the other lads who'd crossed the road started drowning rocks at cars (don't ask of photos - this story is a fact). I was fuming. My car, my little fecking banger , which I paid with my hard earned, 2% income levy, PRSI, half eating by tax wages coming under attack. I had a mental image (like the Monk in mean machine) reaching for my 5 wood which was in the back seat the running over to the **see-you-next-Tuesdays** and flaking seven colors of ****e outta them, but I didn't. The cars behind me also got hit. One driver got out but he was given the fingers by two of the Muppets. Laughing and roaring.

The lights turned green and we were off again. My banger is alight, no damage done but that’s not the point. What the feck is the point at drowning stones at cars? I just don't get it dudes.:confused:

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Just a little note. Coming home from work yesterday in my banger of a car. Drove over the Quincentenary Bridge @ 15:55 and I stopped to let a few lads cross the road as the traffic was building up about 500 yards from the lights. I take a left at the filling station and down Newcastle. The boys were drinking cans and that’s when I copped that it was rag week, the memories came flooding back of days gone by when I could be pissed at 4 o'clock in the day of a Monday and not give a rats ass.

Then it got nasty, some of the other lads who'd crossed the road started drowning rocks at cars (don't ask of photos - this story is a fact). I was fuming. My car, my little fecking banger , which I paid with my hard earned, 2% income levy, PRSI, half eating by tax wages coming under attack. I had a mental image (like the Monk in mean machine) reaching for my 5 wood which was in the back seat the running over to the **see-you-next-Tuesdays** and flaking seven colors of ****e outta them, but I didn't. The cars behind me also got hit. One driver got out but he was given the fingers by two of the Muppets. Laughing and roaring.

The lights turned green and we were off again. My banger is alight, no damage done but that’s not the point. What the feck is the point at drowning stones at cars? I just don't get it dudes.:confused:

People needed to pull up and kick the crap out them. Tis the only way they'll learn....and hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

If they damaged my car I'd send the bill to the Student's Union and I'd report it to the gardai. Pity you didn't get a photo of them. I'm going to have my phone camera ready to go if I happen to be anywhere near NUIG/town.

It's amazing that for a "charity event" it's costing the tax-payer €10,000 a day in garda resources...and that's just for the relatively tame GMIT edition

http://www.galwaynews.ie/11434-rag-week-costing-%E2%82%AC10000-day-additional-garda%C3%AD

I'd love to know how much funds they raise relative to what tax-payers are forking out...for the pleasure of having rocks thrown at cars. I had great fun during my rag weeks but they were held on campus and one could drink anywhere on the NUIG grounds. That encouraged us to stay put.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a nice big fire on the little mound which is covered in weeds and some gorse in Westside Park near the Camilaun Park end when i was whizzing past aroud 2000 last night.
    Maybe it was sparked by the dry weather we had recently or is it the week that is in it Anyway the fire brigade were out tackling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

snubbleste wrote: »
    There was a nice big fire on the little mound which is covered in weeds and some gorse in Westside Park near the Camilaun Park end when i was whizzing past aroud 2000 last night.
    Maybe it was sparked by the dry weather we had recently or is it the week that is in it Anyway the fire brigade were out tackling it.

Bandwagon much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Got a knock on the door around 10.15 last night with pissed ejits looking for a party, told them to go a few doors down where there was a student house, two minutes later they were back at the door hammering away because they couldnt find the house.

I didnt mind, but my girlfriend was a bit put out. I didnt really like the carry on of them, particularly if they called and if she was on her own, or if they went around disturbing old people at this time of the night. We live up on Prospect Hill and they knocked on every bloody door along the street.

I've defended the students in the past, but i thought they'd have a bit more sense then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Starie1975 wrote: »

Passed there about half 2 yesterday (heading to Knocknacarra direction from magic roundabout). The bridge was busy enough with students walking to/from college. Was stopped in traffic opposite the part of the bridge with the steps down to the road below. Three or four girls in white overalls covered in paint (i think) were running up and down the stairs and messing about with a shopping trolley. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

I live with students. I'm practically relocating to my mates for the week.

Their mates broke the front door last night...

• Advertisement

I live with students. I'm practically relocating to my mates for the week.

Their mates broke the front door last night...

I have a friend that lives by the Goalpost pub and by The Hole in the Wall. He takes off for the week. I probably would too if I lived around there though

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have a friend that lives by the Goalpost pub and by The Hole in the Wall. He takes off for the week. I probably would too if I lived around there though
    Mmm. I'm Newcastle Road myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Some self policing wouldn't go astray. Perhaps the students union could instigate some sort of warden system, with academic consequences for those up to no good.

It's all very well to say it's only a few eejits ruining it for everyone else, but as long as everyone else turns a blind eye they will continue to be tarred with the one brush.

Some self policing wouldn't go astray. Perhaps the students union could instigate some sort of warden system, with academic consequences for those up to no good.

It's all very well to say it's only a few eejits ruining it for everyone else, but as long as everyone else turns a blind eye they will continue to be tarred with the one brush.

Get the few students that don't drink and arm them with airsoft rifles and heavy yard brush's and let them police the city...it would be like New Orleans after Katrina only in Galway..woohoo grab your brooms people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

They're the spoilt brats of the Celtic Tiger generation. They behave like a$$holes all year round it's just more obvious the week when there's huge numbers at it. Some of them have manners but only a very small few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Living in Dangan, heading home from work yesterday round 5:30 or so - hundreds of students coming from the sportsgrounds with a paddywagon excorting them all up :)

I have no problem with RAG week, done it all myself years ago, had great fun and yeah, got fairly loaded most days but over the last 2 years, things seem to have gotten nasty - aggressive drunk students, outrageous drunkeness (I mean the dangerous kind, this drink to your extreme limits ****e is so, so stupid) etc...

I had students trying to get in the passenger side of the car yesterday, shouting some BS at me and just been absolute prics - why??? makes no sense to me....

It just seems that this very pampered generation dont give a damn about anything except themselves and honestly, couldnt give a damn about anybody else. As another poster said, its a complete lack of respect that was there years ago that is missing today and yes, they are going to get an almighty land when they graduate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Rag week is one big attention whoring contest which has everyone conforming to the "zany, crazy mad" student stereotype.

It's very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

One of the worst things is gangs of drunk young lads usually arriving at houses and trying to get in because they think there is a party there and they have it mixed up with some another house. Probably pounding on half the doors in the street. I'm right in town and they arrived at my door yesterday and more or less tried to barge their way in and even during last night I could hear hammering at the front door but thankfully they fecked off before I had to go down with my hurl after them. It wouldn't be so bad if they just said "sorry" and moved on but they are so aggressive these days. As I said earlier one of them booted our front door yesterday when told they had the wrong house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

thankfully they fecked off before I had to go down with my hurl after them.

lol. There's something about the imagery of bravado gob****es getting a good beating with a hurl that's just so satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Well they're in for a big shock because they won't be able to sustain the spoilt brat lifestyle once they leave college. I work in third level, and the feedback we're getting is that the vast majority of recent graduates are finding it absolutely impossible to get any work in their fields of study, and of course it's going to get worse as more graduate this year. We have a qualified Occupational Therapist working part (not doing anything related to her qualification) and the rest of the time working as a waitress. She's just delighted to have any kind of work because she's applied for OT jobs for 1.5 years and hasn't a hope of getting anything.

Advertisement