Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Well it's pretty civilised down by Spanish Arch/Roisin area at the moment, it being lunch time I was expecting much worse. In my opinion Rag Week used to be a lot more chaotic and drink centred. Maybe all hell will break loose later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Stick it up on youtube and post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well it's pretty civilised down by Spanish Arch/Roisin area at the moment, it being lunch time I was expecting much worse. In my opinion Rag Week used to be a lot more chaotic and drink centred. Maybe all hell will break loose later :rolleyes:

It was far worse the last couple of years than it was 10+ years ago. The last two years especially were absolute chaos. This year hasn't been so bad during the daytime at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Our country's in reliable hands:

Obviously lacked the cop on to film from the right angle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I want to kill them all! Seriously though... ugh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I know everyone is complaining about RAG week. But in your mind, what can help prevent these complaints? what can epopel do to actualy stop the out-rageous behavior.

Your not going to stop the students drinking, if you canel rage week, the students will hold a un-offical one.

but I think a lot more focus should be brought onto the campus. Get the students onto the NUIG campus so it can be enforced more easily.

Gardai hotspots should be set up in the focus points for students during rag week. newcastle/bridge roads patrol/hole in the wall area/egllinton st/eyere square and spanish arch

[-0-] wrote: »

I dont see a problem with whats in that video tbh. A few lads having the craic and talking a bit of s**te. Id talk more s**te than that myself on a standard saturday night. Dont see the problem with sitting around the grass drinking on a nice day either is this not what people want, all the students away from town.

There may be some out of order carry on rag week but whats in the above video is not part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

What a crowd of idiots, maybe if these lot had to make a contribution towards their education in the form of college fees they'd wouldn't have more respect for their education and themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I agree with nox here, they can be as silly as they like on the NUIG campus, f*ck it, they can take each other out Battle Royale style for all I care, once it keeps them out of town.

Talking sh*te is not the problem with rag week, criminal damage and harassment are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Quoted by 2nd guy in that video above: "Ya look around, everybody is fcukin mouldy, yup out dat":rolleyes:

Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I agree with nox here, they can be as silly as they like on the NUIG campus, f*ck it, they can take each other out Battle Royale style for all I care, once it keeps them out of town.

Talking sh*te is not the problem with rag week, criminal damage and harassment are.

It's early in the day... and am I wrong to think I can safely assume that the lads in the video would be harassing people later that night?

Call me mad but I would rather they were in pubs under close supervision (staying on campus is a great idea) than in some park drinking buckfast prior to actually going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

2 mins in, guy mixes up his left from his right. Quality. :D

It's early in the day... and am I wrong to think I can safely assume that the lads in the video would be harassing people later that night?

Yes you are. I have on occasion started drinking in the morning, both for rag week and more recently as well for different things and I have yet to go around harassing people. A very high percentage of students will be drinking all day and a very small percentage will actually be causing any actual trouble.

Drinking, having the craic, sitting around in the sun and talking crap in the middle of the week is what rag week is about(and raising money). Your only young once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I dont see a problem with whats in that video tbh. A few lads having the craic and talking a bit of s**te. Id talk more s**te than that myself on a standard saturday night. Dont see the problem with sitting around the grass drinking on a nice day either is this not what people want, all the students away from town.

There may be some out of order carry on rag week but whats in the above video is not part of it.

To be honest I put it up because it is the only video of rag week 2010 up so far, not because I think they are going to cause havoc on shop street that night or have a wee against my car...It's filmed in corrib village, the 'cage' as i see it, barriers an security and all! I have a drink out in the sun myself, have a laugh (not with buckfast but then it's drinker's choice)..

I acknowledge that not every student is going to wreck the town but there are a handful, as said before, that do ruin it for everyone. Some of those were the ones banging on our door last night and shouting at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yes you are. I have on occasion started drinking in the morning, both for rag week and more recently as well for different things and I have yet to go around harassing people. A very high percentage of students will be drinking all day and a very small percentage will actually be causing any actual trouble.

Drinking, having the craic, sitting around in the sun and talking crap in the middle of the week is what rag week is about(and raising money). Your only young once.

In fairness if I was back in college I'd probably be doing the exact same especially in this weather. Sitting out in the sun having a few cans.

Like anything else it's the ones who can't control themselves and get rowdy in town that spoil it for everyone else and why people have such a downer on rag week these days.

Passed the Spanish Arch at 16:00. I was suprised to see how quite it was till I drove passed the fisherman's monument. Two of our finest men in blue had a young lad in cuffs.

He was sharing a joke with of his mates, not a bother on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Carolyyn wrote: »
    What a crowd of idiots, maybe if these lot had to make a contribution towards their education in the form of college fees they'd wouldn't have more respect for their education and themselves.

You madam do not know that. I happen to be an acquaintance with one of those gents whose has a loan of over €7000 paying for his education this year. And currently works his socks off nearly every moment he's free. (I'd know being his boss/supervisior).

On a side note i don't see the problem of a bunch of dudes having drinks/shootin' the sh1t in the sun on university property during rag week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Passed the Spanish Arch at 16:00. I was suprised to see how quite it was till I drove passed the fisherman's monument. Two of our finest men in blue had a young lad in cuffs.

He was sharing a joke with of his mates, not a bother on him.

There was a squad car, motorbike and garda bicycle at the gym at midday today, just in case I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I'm starting to feel like this thread is some kind of surveillance operation. Big Brother style ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Get the few students that don't drink and arm them with airsoft rifles and heavy yard brush's and let them police the city...it would be like New Orleans after Katrina only in Galway..woohoo grab your brooms people!

194.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a squad car, motorbike and garda bicycle at the gym at midday today, just in case I guess.

There was a mini-triathlon on in Dangan in aid of the charities of rag week using the N59 and the gym was a stage/the end in it. Garda were directing traffic on the public roads where the event was taking place

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    There was a mini-triathlon on in Dangan in aid of the charities of rag week using the N59 and the gym was a stage/the end in it. Garda were directing traffic on the public roads where the event was taking place
    Over €3k raised from that alone, I believe.

Not that it in any way excuses people with less responsibilities than I from drinking more or having a more debauched time than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Friend's car had wingmirrors broken lastnight in Gort na Coirbe, some twits set off the alarms on all the cars and the fire alarms too.
    Town full of piss for want of a better word, was in for dinner and never saw as many knickers dropped.
    All I felt was shame. I can drink and have craic too but I've respect for myself and others and what I saw lastnight was unreal disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh yeah....that explains all the bikes and people in the pool....still though don't know if they needed 4-5 guards to direct traffic at that one corner.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh yeah....that explains all the bikes and people in the pool....still though don't know if they needed 4-5 guards to direct traffic at that one corner.:confused:

They did'nt.
    Garda probably just showed up for free food at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

They did'nt.
    Garda probably just showed up for free food at the end.

they did actually. guards attendance was requested by the organisers. plus the fod at the end was ****e:D

one squad car lead out the cycle and then a guard at the westwood hotel junction stopping traffic and another up at westside.

around 70 people entered, over 3k raised.

i did it, drank all day in the college bar yesterday aswell like many of the participants, started boozing at 1pm, can guarantee you that i wasnt hassling anyone in town later on in the day, some of the judging going on in this thread is hilarious.

however i do have sympathy with the residents that experience trouble but you'll always get a few idiots in any group.

Can hear a party goin on pretty close to me right now.. I'm not sure how or why people could shout for two hours straight but I respect them for it. I feel old even though I'm 22 and was in the pub in Salthill for the evenin..

Can hear a party goin on pretty close to me right now.. I'm not sure how or why people could shout for two hours straight but I respect them for it. I feel old even though I'm 22 and was in the pub in Salthill for the evenin..

Out with the 5 wood and the hurl (see previous posts):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Had the misfortune to pass through Eyre Square tonight and it was like a scene from Mad Max or something. Drunken idiots everyway. Nearly lost the rag with one girl who was deliberately walking right behind an elderly woman and clapping her hands right into the poor old lady's ears. Stupid wench! It really was disgusting out there. Glad I'm home.

Advertisement