Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

one girl who was deliberately walking right behind an elderly woman and clapping her hands right into the poor old lady's ears.
    Christ almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Had the misfortune to pass through Eyre Square tonight and it was like a scene from Mad Max or something. Drunken idiots everyway. Nearly lost the rag with one girl who was deliberately walking right behind an elderly woman and clapping her hands right into the poor old lady's ears. Stupid wench! It really was disgusting out there. Glad I'm home.

Jesus! :eek: What a scumbag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

What scum.

Was she hot? :pac:

(the old woman)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Had the misfortune to pass through Eyre Square tonight and it was like a scene from Mad Max or something. Drunken idiots everyway. Nearly lost the rag with one girl who was deliberately walking right behind an elderly woman and clapping her hands right into the poor old lady's ears. Stupid wench! It really was disgusting out there. Glad I'm home.

Thats terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

that is so sad. I hope someone will film this type of activity and put in on you tube so all can see what really goes on during rag week. charities should refuse to cooperate with this event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

12 arrests so far this year apparently. Have to say I didn't find it too bad. There seems to be less crap happening early in the evening. Went for a walk after work and it was ok. Suprised by the amount of older types i.e. mid to late 20's walking around plastered but I suppose we owe that to the economy sending them back to college. Having said that they weren't causing any trouble.

Saw some young'ns getting told off by some Gardai in Eyre Square and were made to pick up cans of Druids and put them in the bins..They looked like babies begod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

A&E Monday night was a joke, I had to go in at 1am, the place was full of idiots getting their stomachs pumped and being treated for falls, waste of everyones time and money. Felt so sorry for the staff (and genuine people that needed help but had to wait 8 hours to be seen).

idiots.:mad:

TillyGirl wrote: »
    A&E Monday night was a joke, I had to go in at 1am, the place was full of idiots getting their stomachs pumped and being treated for falls, waste of everyones time and money. Felt so sorry for the staff (and genuine people that needed help but had to wait 8 hours to be seen).

idiots.:mad:

Ya've never went on a mad one? While I don't agree that it's ok, I'm not going to get on a high horse and pretend I've never done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No high horse around here. Of course I have I was a student for 4 years but never done anything like what was going on the last few years. Annoying old people, knocking on peoples door, damaging cars never done any of that. or got so wasted I ended up in A&E after a night out.

Have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

When all is said and done i'd love to know how many of the people arrested are actually current students in galway. It always seems like people from all over the country come down for rag week for the craic. I'm no longer a student but i know my friends and i are guilty for taking part in a bit of partying.

Yesterday evening i was walking to tesco at about 11 o clock to pick up a couple of things for the dinner and i seen 3 lads who i honestly doubt are not students who threw an empty can at me as i walked by and i heard glass been smashed when they were 100 metres behind. To someone in the locality stuff like this is obviously carried out by "students".

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    . Suprised by the amount of older types i.e. mid to late 20's walking around plastered but I suppose we owe that to the economy sending them back to college. Having said that they weren't causing any trouble.

I know a good few people who are working that would head out during rag week. Id be tempted to venture out a night or two myself if I was around. I used to love rag week when I was in undergrad.

It was only 3 years ago when I was last out for a full rag week and never saw anything any worse than a Saturday night. I think very little goes on rag week especially things like lots of people in a&e and a large garda presence that does not go on every other weekend in the year. People just take more notice as maybe they are not around Saturday nights to see its common or they are looking for reasons to complain about students etc.

While some of the carry on is disgraceful I really think its a few incidents by a very small minority and the whole student population are being branded as trouble makers when most are just having a good session for the week and not really doing much wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    When all is said and done i'd love to know how many of the people arrested are actually current students in galway. It always seems like people from all over the country come down for rag week for the craic. I'm no longer a student but i know my friends and i are guilty for taking part in a bit of partying.

Yesterday evening i was walking to tesco at about 11 o clock to pick up a couple of things for the dinner and i seen 3 lads who i honestly doubt are not students who threw an empty can at me as i walked by and i heard glass been smashed when they were 100 metres behind. To someone in the locality stuff like this is obviously carried out by "students".

There wouldn't be anything for random people to piggyback on if students didn't already take full advantage of Rag Week. I've been hearing people talking about this week since Christmas. They've been pretty much living for this week. Laughing about how drunk they're going to be, disbelief when they were told that lectures will continue as normal as if they should be accommodated entirely because "omg but i'll be wayyyyy too out of it to go to lectures!", laughing about the poor people of Galway and how they're going to get such a land this week.

Sorry, but I suspect that's not just talk. It's not a case of it just happening as a result of being drunk. With some of them, there's actual intent to cause as much havoc as humanly possible, because sure it's Rag Week, what else are they going to do.

It's a disgrace no matter how you look at it.

I know a good few people who are working that would head out during rag week. Id be tempted to venture out a night or two myself if I was around. I used to love rag week when I was in undergrad.

It was only 3 years ago when I was last out for a full rag week and never saw anything any worse than a Saturday night. I think very little goes on rag week especially things like lots of people in a&e and a large garda presence that does not go on every other weekend in the year. People just take more notice as maybe they are not around Saturday nights to see its common or they are looking for reasons to complain about students etc.

While some of the carry on is disgraceful I really think its a few incidents by a very small minority and the whole student population are being branded as trouble makers when most are just having a good session for the week and not really doing much wrong.

I work and took it off last year. Went out two nights. It's fair to say its a minority but it's a large minority. I also go alot of Saturday nights. It is alot worse than a Saturday night especially over the last 2 years. Monday and Wednesday last year were brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

[I would agree with a previous post that not all the trouble caused is carried out by the student however the student union is responsible (I take it) for RAG week. Therefore every student is guilty by association. Example – around the Quincentenary Bridge on Monday, it was organized by student for student. Who’s to say that the lads who were throwing stones at cars (see my previous post) were college students, but there where on or near the college ground and were heading to an RAG week event. I’ve never seen that on Saturday night, I’ve never seen that in my five years going to GMIT. I attended each rag week while I was in college. I got more spaced out than Neil Armstrong ever did, But and my mates who where mental cases never did anything like this, nothing compares to what happened over the past two years.

Some poster said jokingly that we should do a big brother. Well why the feck not. The student union should have street monitors’.

images.jpg

Armed with cameras, post the photos on line or supply the info to the cops and I’d go as far as kicking any student that gets convicted outta college.

Harassing old ladies, If I seen that yesterday I would have flipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Monday was mayhem, there is a video going around of tvs out windows, mattresses on fire and a few couchs burning while hundreds of thugs and chavs cheered it on happily (corrib village), (Hamsterdam anyone?)
    for my two cents the way i see it is most (not all) are what i call the "dickhead" generation, they have parents who bought them off in the boom rather than parented them properly, they have no respect for anyone, including themselves, a mixture of no morals and a sense of entitlement, there egos are gigantic, when things go wrong its always someone else, they never accept responsibility, combine all this with every single one of the twats wanting to be "famous" they then try to be the biggest arsehole, vacuous **** most of them, good point too on charity angle, bascially the tax payers of galway are paying for overtime for police, so money raised is in reality given by us, oh with the guys throwing rocks i honestly would have got the car after them, i mean that:cool:

by the way what the fk is up with the clothes they wear, part of the "theme" is cheap beach clothes etc, do they have no clue how chavy they look/are?

As someone who works near the college, talking to friends in there, they state that many of these chavs only show up for rag week, and are not seen again for the year in college, it would make you wonder about fees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wompa1 wrote: »
    12 arrests so far this year apparently. Have to say I didn't find it too bad. There seems to be less crap happening early in the evening. Went for a walk after work and it was ok. Suprised by the amount of older types i.e. mid to late 20's walking around plastered but I suppose we owe that to the economy sending them back to college. Having said that they weren't causing any trouble.

Who says their even students, there are plenty of people in the city would like to go out and get wasted during rag week.

Who says their even students, there are plenty of people in the city would like to go out and get wasted during rag week.

Not me...am saying the arrests took place during Rag Week though...

oh with the guys throwing rocks i honestly would have got the car after them, i mean that:cool:

I still can't belive that I drove off. 90% of the time I would have grabbed my 5 wood and run after them, Friends will vouch for that.
    Image if they broke a back window of a car with a baby in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Oh here we go again, blaming someone else. Another common excuse is that the mayhem is being caused by students from colleges other than Galway converging on the city for the week and going mad :confused:

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I still can't belive that I drove off. 90% of the time I would have grabbed my 5 wood and run after them, Friends will vouch for that.
    Image if they broke a back
    window of a car with a baby in the back.

Good man, its mainly shock id say and they do scurry of very quickly, a group of them like that too would get very nasty id say,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh here we go again, blaming someone else. Another common excuse is that the mayhem is being caused by students from colleges other than Galway converging on the city for the week and going mad :confused:

A few posts ago I was told that I was to blame (well that all students are to blame because of the behaviour of a few) even though I haven't even been out for rag week. Also are you really that :confused: about students from other colleges coming to galway for rag week? Its well known that this happens, when I was in NUIM I know that there were often students from other (usually Dublin) colleges bussing in for rag week, and I knew several people who basically travelled the country for various rag weeks. I'm not claiming they're the only ones causing trouble but you're seriously naiive if you believe this isn't happening.

I think we ought to draw a line under this one...how about we agree that not all students are to blame and maybe the approach to take is have a heavy handed approach to those that are causing the problems. Be they NUIG, GMIT or any other.

I have thought myself that last semmester was pretty bad for behaviour too...so I do think that local student unions should answer for this and try to support not kicking peoples doors or being nuisances to residents in housing estates.

It seems to me just based on a few places I've lived that very few people actually bother getting out of bed or whatever and go to the people making the noise and ask them to shut up or just even call the gardai. I would ask them to be quiet first myself and if they didn't or it happened again I would call the gardai. Lets start reporting this crap and the gardai can then find out where they go to college and take the appropriate action in highlighting where the problem lies rather than this debate going on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've just been on campus in NUI,G and I'm shocked and appalled by what I saw, Joe.

There were people by the river openly eating lunch, some of whom were out of their minds on mind bending stimulants llike coffee. Moreover, I witnessed what can only be described as an open latrine with men urinating one after another. It was in the gents toilets mind, but that's not the point. There were a number of slatterns who were brazenly baring their shoulders and the underworked security guards were soaking up the sun.

Ban this sick filth.

I can only conclude that those responsible are anyone who has ever been involved in a third level institution, from our dear President to the recent graduates from Buncrana Institute for Advanced Studies.

In response to this outrage, I'm not going to talk to anyone who has any power to do anything about it. Oh no, I'm going straight to the top. I'm going to rage impotently on the internet about it and maybe call Joe Duffy or Supreme Chancellor Keith Finnegan. Moreover, I shall also be saying several aeons of the Rosary for the souls of all those involved and I plan on boycotting all those charities who benefit from the fundraising events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Robbo wrote: »
    I've just been on campus in NUI,G and I'm shocked and appalled by what I saw, Joe.

There were people by the river openly eating lunch, some of whom were out of their minds on mind bending stimulants llike coffee. Moreover, I witnessed what can only be described as an open latrine with men urinating one after another. It was in the gents toilets mind, but that's not the point. There were a number of slatterns who were brazenly baring their shoulders and the underworked security guards were soaking up the sun.

Ban this sick filth.

I can only conclude that those responsible are anyone who has ever been involved in a third level institution, from our dear President to the recent graduates from Buncrana Institute for Advanced Studies.

In response to this outrage, I'm not going to talk to anyone who has any power to do anything about it. Oh no, I'm going straight to the top. I'm going to rage impotently on the internet about it and maybe call Joe Duffy or Supreme Chancellor Keith Finnegan. Moreover, I shall also be saying several aeons of the Rosary for the souls of all those involved and I plan on boycotting all those charities who benefit from the fundraising events.

Poor attempt at humour tbh.

Good man robo, im so glad that you enjoy taxpayers paying for the charity side of it, im also glad your happy with old women been harassed by scum, or cars been pelted with rocks, most good people in Galway (including many students) are utterly sick of this crap..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Good man robo, im so glad that you enjoy taxpayers paying for the charity side of it, im also glad your happy with old women been harassed by scum, or cars been pelted with rocks, most good people in Galway (including many students) are utterly sick of this crap..
    "If you have to explain satire to someone, you might as well give up." -- Barry Humphries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Yeah come into the city for the few years you're in college and once a year for a week go mad and treat people who live there all year round all through their lives like sh1te.

F**kin pr1icks, I know what I'd do to them if I got away with it.

You took the words outta my mouth. Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Robbo wrote: »

Ban this sick filth.

HAHA:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Our country's in reliable hands:

Bahhahaha "This is Roy, he has work in Dunnes in 2 hours..."

I do believe I saw Roy at around half 4 that same day a "write off" walking across the Quins as I was stopped at traffic lights

Advertisement