Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPQOdmEcuk

We have a sequel to the above...

[Also, where do i get a "Putting YouTube Videos in posts for Dummys leaflet? :D]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

fend wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPQOdmEcuk

We have a sequel to the above...

[Also, where do i get a "Putting YouTube Videos in posts for Dummys leaflet? :D]

Aside: Click the 'youtube' button in the toolbar where you are writing the post, and enter the Video ID between the tages, it's the XXX part of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXX

It'll come out looking like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well I must say, I'm no Dublin Girl, but I too didn't believe it about rag week in Galway, until I saw the video instructional above, and now the scales have dropped from my eyes, I do believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

The twelve arrested were students. That has been obvious from the reports. I'm not on any high horse on this one but so so glad I live in an area not close to the students, was in the vicinity of the college today and seemed quiet in truth, some students even studying and walking around as normal. That said, there is a small minority who appear to be taking things too far this year, abusive behaviour and lack of respect for themselves and property of others being commonplace. Pity a few eejits ruin the fun for others. Regarding A&E, there is a reason so many working there take this week off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just walked up town earlier, a good few 'drunk' lads shouting, not actually sayng anything just shouting..and all attired in these floral shorts.

Nearly ran over two in the college who kept shouting in my window for 'a lift to Centra' and asking if 'I had any cans'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ahh the floral shirts and cheap pants, more than likely covered in puke and piss later, hey LADS! we are on u tube! savage!.... well done to the "worth it" generation, but OMG! its all about the charity! vain **** the lot of them, next roll up call Paddys day,where older drunken thugs can show tourists what a great day you can have in galway, by boxing them in the face, like,
    what a great wee little country:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Hahaha there sure are some bitter mongs out there. A massive GIRUY to everyone moaning about Rag Week, may the soles of your feet forever be cut by broken Buckfast bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Hahaha there sure are some bitter mongs out there. A massive GIRUY to everyone moaning about Rag Week, may the soles of your feet forever be cut by broken Buckfast bottles.

Ah come off it, the majority of people on here have no problem with people going out enjoying themselves during rag week but some off what has been wrote on here is crossing the line. I'm sure if you were driving along and someone starting flinging rocks at your car or if you saw some degenerate b!tch clapping in the ears of your grandmother you wouldn't take it lying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

One can get very bitter from lack of sleep buuuuudddddy! The rest of the city or at least some of the city still have to get up and go to work in the morning. I'll still say I don't think it's as bad as the last couple of years anyway.

Just walked up town earlier, a good few 'drunk' lads shouting, not actually sayng anything just shouting..and all attired in these floral shorts.

Nearly ran over two in the college who kept shouting in my window for 'a lift to Centra' and asking if 'I had any cans'.

What's the deal with the floral shorts!? Just when you thought metro-sexuality was starting to die off a little. It's funny I was in LA a few weeks ago..the day after I got home and walked down and back up shop street and all I could think was that the guys in Galway city seem more into their image than the supposed beautiful people!...Although I didn't go out to Santa Monica or Venice Beach..I'm sure that would tip the scale the other way

• Advertisement

Very good, watch the ice now when your driving your 1.1 litre fiesta (with big spoiler) we dont want you getting hurt with you on your way to supermacs for the taco fries after your raging hangover, natural selection anyone? (wilkepida it finn)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ah come off it, the majority of people on here have no problem with people going out enjoying themselves during rag week but some off what has been wrote on here is crossing the line. I'm sure if you were driving along and someone starting flinging rocks at your car or if you saw some degenerate b!tch clapping in the ears of your grandmother you wouldn't take it lying down.

That's it exactly, let them have their fun, but it gets too much when some twats think it's hilarious to harrass people, throw rocks at cars and try get into your car at 11pm at night on a dark campus. It's hardly bitter, it's having cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Well my neighbours here in Dun na Coiribe after a bit of a rowdy but not too over the top start of the week have been pretty quiet from Tuesday onwards. I'm not sure if they had any complaints etc but fair play to them, I was expecting so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was walking home from college late yesterday evening and there was this lad outside a house roaring shouting at the people inside (in a messing type of way, not abusive). One of his friends who was inside the house opened a window and throws a lighted air-bomb out the window at his friend. The air-bomb took off but luckily got stuck under their own car and exploded (I hope it did a lot of damage to the car!), they thought it was hilarious. :rolleyes:

The air-bomb could have went anywhere - it could have hit that gob****e who was shouting outside the house or it could have hit me or anyone else walking on the street.

*An air-bomb is a type of firework for anyone who doesn't know. They would cause serious injury if they exploded near someone. I used to have fireworks when I was younger; there's no harm in them if they are used responsibly. Even as young teenagers, me and my friends were more reponsible with fireworks than these lads in their 20s.

MattKid wrote: »
    Well my neighbours here in Dun na Coiribe after a bit of a rowdy but not too over the top start of the week have been pretty quiet from Tuesday onwards. I'm not sure if they had any complaints etc but fair play to them, I was expecting so much worse.

This might be wrong, just something I heard. But didn't someone car get keyed in Dun na Coiribe on Monday? Again I got that second hand so could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'll still say I don't think it's as bad as the last couple of years anyway.

In most respects, I'd agree.

However, (and I never thought I'd be saying this in Ireland!) the unfortunate lack of rain this week means that the urine stains in the streets look worse than usual. And I really do wonder how someone can get to college but still not be toilet trained!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Wompa1 wrote: »
    This might be wrong, just something I heard. But didn't someone car get keyed in Dun na Coiribe on Monday? Again I got that second hand so could be wrong

Quite possibly, There are a lot of students walking through the area etc, and there is a fair amount of rubbish left about and broken glass, though my part of the street has been pretty well behaved, and fortunately my car untouched:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cem

MattKid wrote: »
    Quite possibly, There are a lot of students walking through the area etc, and there is a fair amount of rubbish left about and broken glass, though my part of the street has been pretty well behaved, and fortunately my car untouched:D

I didnt hear anything about a car being keyed but a neighbour of ours had his car keyed over Christmas so its not just a rag week thing.

I was driving out of Dun na Coiribe last night around 7ish and a squad came speeding in with the blue lights on.

s_carnage wrote: »

The people that do that are hadicaps. They were handicaps before Rag Week, they'll be handicaps after rag week, and they'd be the same whether they were students or not, so stop blaming students and/or Rag Week. And to those moaning about the noise, you live in a student city. I adore Galway but I doubt I'd want to live here with a family when I'm older, though if I did I'd **** my hole and not moan all the time.

Supermacs not open yet? charcoal grill is, go get a donner kebab you can puke it up later on shop street/girlfriend/souped up fiesta your country your call good man:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

posting videos of people online is really dubious, i don't agree with it at all.

Supermacs not open yet? charcoal grill is, go get a donner kebab you can puke it up later on shop street/girlfriend/souped up fiesta your country your call good man:cool:

what age are you, 80?

Funnily enough, I'm posting this from college where I've been all morning as I wasn't out last night. I in no way fit the description you give, I just don't have a pissyfit when I see anyone else having a bit of craic. I'm sure you have better things to be worrying about, like the price of milk or incontinence problems

unJustMary wrote: »
    And I really do wonder how someone can get to college but still not be toilet trained!

If there were some toilets provided on the streets people would use them. While p***ing against someones door isnt on if your on the way home/on the street and need to go then what can people do but go.

They need some of the portable urinals in the link below for rag week/race week/VOR. A few weeks ago we were walking from Quinns pub to Croke park for the rugby and of course after a few pints were needed a pee. We were looking for some corner along the way with plenty more doing the same and then say what was below. Just one of them which could only fit 4 people at a time stopped almost everybody going in the street I would say. People would use them if they were provided.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/loohire/urinals/media/img/urinals.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/loohire/urinals/&h=455&w=349&sz=53&tbnid=OgFaqVpMyk_xqM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dportable%2Burinals&usg=__FvBEysLInd2L3DHZTArbNPWSCvQ=&ei=cuSYS6iBE8iOjAeL1OD4Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=9&ct=image&ved=0CCwQ9QEwCA

What are you on about?? Whats wrong with a taco fries or a kebab.

You need to relax a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Front door of our apartment block smashed in last night. Not cool. :mad:

all this 'oh students, blah blah, no respect' nonsense... what's the deal with Race Week so? it's just as bad, if not worse. hypocrites. there's rehabs in all walks of life, they're not necessarily attending college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Does the River Inn allow students in there anymore during rag week? I think they banned it last year. That place used to be off the wall for rag week and it was a very popular destination for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Ahh the floral shirts and cheap pants, more than likely covered in puke and piss later
    Not to worry, mammy will clean it at the weekend. Lets just hope she uses the colourfast.

Seriously even though most of the students are grand, we (the residents association) had to get a couple of garda raids up around our area to keep the excesses to a minimum, and of course theres the obligatory littering of the streets with drifts of broken glass for schoolkids to walk through on their way to school, which family pets love as well. And sure whats a few kicked over bins and the odd bottle hurled at a house.

Maybe if the 90% of decent students gave the 10% of troublemakers the social cold shoulder it might help get the message across.

Listen as said in my earlier posts, its a minority, a large minority though, they should not be allowed to do what they do, as regard race week, i agree entirely degenerates everywhere, however i go racing every year, solid racegoers are not the problem, its chavs from dublin,cork, kildare etc who hire cars get buses etc to come to galway for the thursday/friday and many wont even go racing, by the way with my own business i give work to many students from time to time, and more often than not pay them a good bonus for great work so I have no problem with most students, i just have zero tolerance for messers and chavs who make other peoples life miserable;) also +1 AN well put

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Amhran Nua wrote: »

Maybe if the 90% of decent students gave the 10% of troublemakers the social cold shoulder it might help get the message across.

After all is said and done it's really alcohol that's the problem...well the complete abuse of it. People don't generally behave sober the way they do when they are drunk. Everyone knows that alcohol causes people to loose there inhibitions and that's why many people (not all) like drinking it. So IMO it's not students as such that are the problem; it's the disregard for the impact that alcohol can have on your personality and on your body. If you are a bit of an a**hole with an ego when you're sober, you will more than likely be a complete narcissist (spelling?) when you are buckled and have a greater likelihood of aggressive behaviour. Same goes for race week and Paddy's Day. Everything in moderation but many people just don't want that. The trouble caused is a result of alcohol abuse not necessarily the intention. From my own experience I have found that as I have gotten older I am much more in tune with how much alcohol I should drink and I think I can control myself better when I'm drunk. Many of the students enjoying rag week are probably only 18 or 19. Just my opinion.

Advertisement