Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

all this 'oh students, blah blah, no respect' nonsense... what's the deal with Race Week so? it's just as bad, if not worse. hypocrites. there's rehabs in all walks of life, they're not necessarily attending college

I don't like Race Week either so not a hypocrite here!

Just remembered I was in Supermacs yesterday evening a group of lads left..They just went outside to meet someone, why all of them had to go is beyond me..they were out there for ages. An elderly woman took their seat..she asked if anyone was sitting there, she said she'd wait for a while before getting rid of the food...she ended up taking their food home with her.

Nice old lady got her husband a nice dirty free dinner :D Hope she was the lady that had her ears clapped into

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't like Race Week either so not a hypocrite here!

Just remembered I was in Supermacs yesterday evening a group of lads left..They just went outside to meet someone, why all of them had to go is beyond me..they were out there for ages. An elderly woman took their seat..she asked if anyone was sitting there, she said she'd wait for a while before getting rid of the food...she ended up taking their food home with her.

Nice old lady got her husband a nice dirty free dinner :D Hope she was the lady that had her ears clapped into

lol, nice one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

The people that do that are hadicaps. They were handicaps before Rag Week, they'll be handicaps after rag week, and they'd be the same whether they were students or not, so stop blaming students and/or Rag Week. And to those moaning about the noise, you live in a student city. I adore Galway but I doubt I'd want to live here with a family when I'm older, though if I did I'd **** my hole and not moan all the time.

Agree with the first point you are making but not the wording. Also totally disagree that this is a student city. Granted there is a large population of students about but in no way do they own the city or should have the freedom to do what they want. There are people living here for there whole lifes and you expect them to put and shut up with what goes on around them during the year because it's a "student city". Get real....

Also I really doubt that the problem people have is the noise. Come on you know as well as I do noone here is against students or anyone having a good time but when it becomes harassment and property damage then people do have every right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Aside: Click the 'youtube' button in the toolbar where you are writing the post, and enter the Video ID between the tages, it's the XXX part of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXX

It'll come out looking like this:

Weren't like that in my day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

s_carnage wrote: »
    Agree with the first point you are making but not the wording. Also totally disagree that this is a student city. Granted there is a large population of students about but in no way do they own the city or should have the freedom to do what they want. There are people living here for there whole lifes and you expect them to put and shut up with what goes on around them during the year because it's a "student city". Get real....

Also I really doubt that the problem people have is the noise. Come on you know as well as I do noone here is against students or anyone having a good time but when it becomes harassment and property damage then people do have every right to complain.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the noise..they can make as much noise at they want in the city like around Eyre Square or where it would be generally nosiey anyway. Or even in estates until 11pm or so. But the noise around the housing estates last semmester in particular was above and beyond any other year I can remember.

I don't think you can call it a student city since most of them feck off home Thursday or Friday. Without the students (Or students parents) I think the economy in Galway would be alot worse off but just think they are pushing the boundaries of decency in recent history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If you are a bit of an a**hole with an ego when you're sober, you will more than likely be a complete narcissist (spelling?) when you are buckled and have a greater likelihood of aggressive behaviour.
    I don't know, it didn't used to be such a big problem in Galway, students have changed. If a group of them were to get organised within the Uni and GMIT and let other students know that this minority of troublemakers wouldn't be accepted, it might go a long way.

As it is I'll be up to my elbows in picking up after the bon vivants on Saturday, lets hope the weather holds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

After all is said and done it's really alcohol that's the problem...well the complete abuse of it.

I couldn't disagree more strongly.

You're effectively saying that being drunk is an excuse. Just like the cases in the paper where defence lawyers are quoted as saying "Ahh, your honour, but there was drink involved."

The alcohol doesn't leap out of the bottle and force itself down anyone's throat. And not all people behave like tools when they're under the influence.

IMHO, the problem is people, and what's expected of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Alcohol is not an excuse but deffo a factor. An old guy I know calls it 'amateur drinking'. Some also DO use the fact that they are *p1ssed* as an excuse for sure. I am not so sure that under the influence of other herbal substances and nothing else, so much property would get trashed, and there would be as much violent behaviour....there would possibly be queues at Supermacs longer than usual, and the odd riot if the shop ran out of crunchies!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I dont know if its a defence of the students or not, but in all fairness for the rest of the college term there isnt anywhere near as much hassle or hi-jinks.

I think one of the main problems is that they simply cannot hold their drink. I thought it was comical looking at all these fresh faced students lumping around crates of beer with such looks of serious intent on their faces.

Its fcuking gas, i live up in Propect Hill and there has been a continuous stream of young lads and girls traipsing around with bags of beer, thinking they are probably doing the coolest and most rebellious thing ever. Its like no one has ever been that cool before. :D:D

'I've a licence to drink beer, and no ones going to stop me, OHHH YEAHH.'

I actually feel a bit embarrassed for them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

I dont know if its a defence of the students or not, but in all fairness for the rest of the college term there isnt anywhere near as much hassle or hi-jinks.

I think one of the main problems is that they simply cannot hold their drink. I thought it was comical looking at all these fresh faced students lumping around crates of beer with such looks of serious intent on their faces.

Its fcuking gas, i live up in Propect Hill and there has been a continuous stream of young lads and girls traipsing around with bags of beer, thinking they are probably doing the coolest and most rebellious thing ever. Its like no one has ever been that cool before. :D:D

'I've a licence to drink beer, and no ones going to stop me, OHHH YEAHH.'

I actually feel a bit embarrassed for them. :D

You sad B:Dstard:D:D:D:D:D. I feel hugely embarrased for your family:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Nuigforce wrote: »

:D

Wow savage comeback there. Good to see the alcohol hasn't burnt to many brain cells this week:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

s_carnage wrote: »
    Wow savage comeback there. Good to see the alcohol hasn't burnt to many brain cells this week:rolleyes:

how ironic.

Totally rad username! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

My guess........ First year arts.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why?

With all the vitriol that's been spouted on this thread, you choose to insult Captain D, who was displaying a pretty high level of tolerance? :confused:
    mikom wrote: »
    Ist Eng, I would have thought.

Unless Arts students have got dopier since my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

The year after next I'll be doing Arts as it's the easiest way for me to become a secondary school teacher, don't generalise all Arts students as wasters!

Why?

With all the vitriol that's been spouted on this thread, you choose to insult Captain D, who was displaying a pretty high level of tolerance? :confused:

Bit of youthful exuberance, dont think any harm was meant.

Young pups! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why?

going by experience....I didn't think that was possible...

<_<

>_>

*ducks*
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

going by experience....I didn't think that was possible...

<_<

>_>

*ducks*

:pac:
    That's it!! :mad:

One eviction notice in the post! :p

• Advertisement

how ironic.

Touche!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Megatron_X wrote: »
    The year after next I'll be doing Arts as it's the easiest way for me to become a secondary school teacher, don't generalise all Arts students as wasters!

Picking a course as the easiest way to get into your chosen career...that doesn't sound like something a waster would say at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Brilliant! I love Rag Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

:D:D:D:D commerce 2nd year:D:D:D:D:D oh the hilarity:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

:D:D:D:D commerce 2nd year:D:D:D:D:D oh the hilarity:D:D:D:D

Indeed.
    Im in first year arts and Im looking for info on this as regard s going abroad in 3rd year
    From what i can see the info on the college website etc is brutal would aprieciate anyone who did it last year or is thinking of doing it any info at all would be apprieciated
    Link...... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64407522&postcount=1

Laugh it up college boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Indeed.

Link...... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64407522&postcount=1

Laugh it up college boy.

Oh the hilarity :D:D:D:D:D

Nice find mikom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

That's some damn fine detective work!

Who's smiling now?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Must admit it was a nice feeling today to walk through town and not be surrounded by drunken clowns:)

Thankfully it's only 1 week of the year we have to tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Col200sx wrote: »
    Must admit it was a nice feeling today to walk through town and not be surrounded by drunken clowns:)

Thankfully it's only 1 week of the year we have to tolerate it.

Race Week not make it 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

mars bar wrote: »
    Race Week not make it 2?

True, 2 weeks it is so:D

Advertisement