Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Status of Metro West?

• 08-03-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I'm curious as to what exactly is happening with Metro West these days. My understanding was that it had been "delayed indefinitely," but I happened to look at the RPA's website the other day and found a reference to a public meeting recently held about it, and all sorts of development and planning work being done on it:

http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/MetroWestBelgardPublicMeetingNotice.aspx

Is the RPA just ploughing ahead to get it as advanced as possible in the hope that funding will appear, or is the project back on track? Or what is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The RPA is under instruction from the Department to bring it, Metro North and the other LUAS schemes to Railway Order stage and that is what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

MetroWest should be recast as LUAS Line G, with construction being initially between Blanchardstown and Belgard. An orbital route makes sense to me, especially diverting people out of the city centre who want to get from Pace to Kildare or Maynooth to Hazelhatch, but a non-grade separated one which likely would not interline with Line A or F (or a D extension beyond Finglas) because the cars would not have compatible stop platforms due different widths makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

The RPA do a good job of maintaining timely information here.

Latest news:

"The next steps in the process will be to finalise the preliminary design, based on feedback received on this update, and complete the EIS and Railway Order application documents. It is envisaged that these documents will be concluded during the first half of 2010 and a Railway Order will be lodged thereafter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

With construction costs coming down and highly competitive tendering, ironically there is probably more chance of MetroWest being built than when the celtic tiger was roaring along. Apart from it being so much cheaper to build now, it would generate loads of jobs for unemployed builders.

I would not be at all surprised if this goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭gjim

With construction costs coming down and highly competitive tendering, ironically there is probably more chance of MetroWest being built than when the celtic tiger was roaring along. Apart from it being so much cheaper to build now, it would generate loads of jobs for unemployed builders.

I would not be at all surprised if this goes ahead.
    I imagine that the opposite is the case. I presume the fact that preferred route for Metrowest winds through lots of fields outside the M50 for a reason - potential developer levies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement