Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doomsday/Planets/2012 etc

Options
  • 08-03-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I honestly hope this doesn't incite anything nasty, but here goes....

There are a number of threads across a number of forums on the subject of extra planets (I'm not sure how else to organise them) - the most recent seems to concern a planet (apparently) close to the sun. I have also noticed a number of pop-culture references, and more recently, some friends whom have heard something of the pheonomenon from one source or another, all concerning the above topic.

Where is this coming from? Is this clever viral marketing gone horribly wrong? Mis-interpreted hypotheses/projections? It just seems to have come from nowhere - I think I remember an AH thread at one point.

There also seems to be a committed internet following, on quick google inspection.

(Do I remember a chapter in one of Sagan's books on the topic of pop-culture pseudoscience hysteria?). Do posters remember stories such as these from over the years - I remember the pre-2000 panic well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Crazies are everywhere and they're only multiplying.
    I do laugh at the 2012 guys, the Mayan calendar was only correctly translated lately with the end of the calendar (not the world as there's no Mayan reference to that) recognised as 2020 now.

'Course the nuts now say the world will end in 2020....ah dem crazies...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

smokingman wrote: »
    Crazies are everywhere and they're only multiplying.
    I do laugh at the 2012 guys, the Mayan calendar was only correctly translated lately with the end of the calendar (not the world as there's no Mayan reference to that) recognised as 2020 now.

'Course the nuts now say the world will end in 2020....ah dem crazies...:rolleyes:

I am full certain that the red top 'doomsday supplements' from 1999 cited the Maya also - only with a 2002 date or something....

Are these things cyclical? Any more senior posters here with longer memories?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I saw an article on CNN before. One of the Maya experts was on it. He says the Mayan calendar has dates well past the year 4000. Some people just aren't happy with life so they insist we all die together. That's why they are always looking for the next doomsday.

Also, the National Geographic debunked the 2012 stuff, and they showed how Nibiru stems from this person who was told by aliens that Nibiru would pass in 2003.

If I remember my history correctly, people were sure the world would end around 1000.

It seems to be cyclical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

This is all you really need to know:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

its ok though, john cusack will save us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Idiots are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Come in here for discussions with crazies about 2012. There's only a few people there who believe it and it has been quite well debunked but logic and rationality simply won't work on some people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

I got slated for bringing up crazies still going on about the moon landing in here folks? Double standards? On topic id rather listen to standarde religious rants then listen to this new age 2012 crap!

Advertisement