Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Humidities

Options
  • 08-03-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't been keeping an eye all day but some seriously low humidities today.

Casement 28% with a temp of 5c

Dublin a moist 50%

With Mullingar and Carlow also at 28%

http://met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Strange for this location to see such low percentages.

Comments

Quite high here comparatively at 59%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I recorded a DP of -9.5c with air temp of 5.8c around 1530!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Humidity levels are forecast to fall below 60% widely again tomorrow:

107110.gif

Not bad! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The Eagle said the last time we had similar conditions was in April 2007.

We're in a dry stable polar or arctic airmass, with Total Precipitable Water values of less than 10mm, which is the amount of precipitation we'd get if all the water vapour throughout the whole depth of the atmosphere above us were to condense out as rain! Amazingly dry for our location!

Airmass type
    107113.jpg

TPW (mm)
    107114.jpg

Wow Su, those are fab charts. Are they available to the general public? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I recorded 42% humidity today.

Wow Su, those are fab charts. Are they available to the general public? :)

Yes they're on the Satreponline site, updated 4 times a day. You can overlay all ECMWF atmospheric parameters on the left, on different satellite products on the right. A hugely useful site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a low dewpoint of -8.3c here at 6pm.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Yes they're on the Satreponline site, updated 4 times a day. You can overlay all ECMWF atmospheric parameters on the left, on different satellite products on the right. A hugely useful site.

Cheers man! That looks like one serious site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thanks man :)

• Advertisement

The NAE has gone barking mad with its dewpoints for this morning! :eek: The lowest Shannon got overnight was -7°C, so I think it needs to up the valium dose a bit!

Current low dewpoints are running at -4°C in Knock and -3°C in Oak Park and Shannon.

10030906_2_0906.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The NAE has gone barking mad with its dewpoints for this morning! :eek: The lowest Shannon got overnight was -7°C, so I think it needs to up the valium dose a bit!

Current low dewpoints are running at -4°C in Knock and -3°C in Oak Park and Shannon.

10030906_2_0906.gif

I got a low dewpoint of -12.8 at 16.18 yesterday and it stayed well below zero all day long , and it looks like doing the same again today .

51% humidity

Strange you got one that low, maybe it was due to your location in relation to the Wicklow mountains. The very dry from above the inversion may have been entrained to low low levels due to some lee waves.

Valentia's 18Z sounding from yesterday (fairly representative of the general airmass over the country) shows the inversion at 4000ft, and a massive drop in dewpoint in the space of 243m, from -10.9 to -35.1°C. With light to moderate easterly winds, and extreme stability, it is possible that some waves set up west of the mountains and you were located at the trough of one. It would be interesting to see a graph of your dewpoint throughout the afternoon yesterday to see if indeed this was the case.

107155.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Visibility today was incredible.

Everything appeared so clear and close.

Really interesting conditions and weather at the moment.

Nice almost warm days in the sun and then freezing icy nights.

Visibility today was incredible.

Everything appeared so clear and close.

Really interesting conditions and weather at the moment.

Nice almost warm days in the sun and then freezing icy nights.

I actually found today quite warm outside, had windows open wide around the house for the first time in yonks. Getting a bit chilly once again though so they will be closed again very soon :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Strange you got one that low, maybe it was due to your location in relation to the Wicklow mountains. The very dry from above the inversion may have been entrained to low low levels due to some lee waves.

Valentia's 18Z sounding from yesterday (fairly representative of the general airmass over the country) shows the inversion at 4000ft, and a massive drop in dewpoint in the space of 243m, from -10.9 to -35.1°C. With light to moderate easterly winds, and extreme stability, it is possible that some waves set up west of the mountains and you were located at the trough of one. It would be interesting to see a graph of your dewpoint throughout the afternoon yesterday to see if indeed this was the case.

The site I get the stats from is not run by myself , but I will drop the lad that runs it a mail to see if he can get the stats .

107181.jpg

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

Advertisement