Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan -v- Liverpool, 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

monkey9 wrote: »

The only players who performed anywhere near an acceptable level was Kyriakos and Aqualiani when he came on.

And Masch, Babel and Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Columbia wrote: »
    Love the people (not on here) saying that it's somehow down to the "yanks", as though it's solely their fault that the entire team couldn't string two passes together tonight :pac:
    It's the Manager, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

How did McCarthy play tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i didn't see it.

i don't want to.

f*cking embarrassing.

6th if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

chupacabra wrote: »

He was excellent again, he's a real talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

And now for something completely different.... My review of tonight's match riddled with metaphors of a night that begins with 2 completely different characters out for one thing. Victory. Victory, as in Pussy.

Liverpool stood in front of the mirror as he buttoned up his crisp pinstripe shirt. It wasn't new, but it has just been dry cleaned and it has the feel of a solid night out in it's threads. To fasten the collar button or not? No, fúck it, it's been a while since he pulled and the ladies just love that open collar that screams "look at me - I got distracted by myself in the mirror. Your place or mine?". Yes, Liverpool felt like this would be a good night. The big guns were out - Armani Code, classic leather strap wristwatch and not a pimple in sight. Off to the club he went with his mates, who were impressed by the obvious display of confidence. Liverpool had let himself go in recent months. He went from a lean charismatic casanova to a sightly tubby Adam Sandler-esque character, but had since copped on and cut out carbohydrates. He could feel his fitness, his sharpness, his attitude all return. Tonight would be the night he unleash it on some unsuspecting hottie and show every pretender that when it comes to it, he was still one of the masters of obtaining clunge.

Meanwhile, Wigan was at the other end of the charismatic spectre. He had been striking out night after night, with only the odd fatty to show for his troubles. There was no confidence left in him at this stage. He wasn't even trying to get with a girl tonight. Heck, things were so bad, and bitterness was so prevalent that he would be content with picking out the girl he wanted, and doing all he could to cockblock every cock that got within 5 feet of her. Even that was a pretty high goal - all he merely wanted to do was get pissed out of his tree. So off he went, his mates walking 10 yards in front so as not to be seen with him.

It's coming up to midnight, and neither Liverpool or Wigan have made any moves on any unsuspecting vag. But there's a hottie standing next to Liverpool, bacardi breezer in hand, and not a fellow bitch in sight. She's slightly tipsy, but she's fúcking gorgeous, and clearly there for the taking. Wigan see's Liverpool standing beside her and thinks "ah well, he's gonna make a move for her. I'll stand near them and see if there's any chance of cockblocking him." So he moves over, and heres Liverpool's attempt at picking this fine filly up.

"Hi, my names Liverpool..."
    "Oh hiiiii, I'm 3 Points."
    "Thats a lovely name..."
    "Oh...errr....thanks I guess."
    "No problem....No problemo.."
    *Awkward standoff and silence*

"Wow", Wigan thinks to himself. Liverpool is not on his game tonight at all. He's still in his slump. This is awkward as fúck. Wigan might actually have a chance here.

"So madame 3 points...are you here alone?"
    "Errr...no. Im with my friends."
    "Ah right.........umm....your hair smells really nice..."
    ".........what?"
    "Oh nothing, just said that your....I mean you look nice"
    "Oh, err, thanks. Can you buy me a drink?"
    "Yeah sure, you wanna come with me?"
    "Oh God no....I mean no, I'll mind this space for us..."
    "Ok darling, I'll be right back!"

Liverpool goes up to the bar, but Wigan knows exactly whats going on. Look at her, she's ready to bounce. Man up Wiggy, time to nail some clunge here because this douchebag sure as hell isnt capable of sealing this deal.

"Excuse me...looks like you need an escape plan..."
    "Ohmygod he's such a freak!"
    "I wont lie, that was awkward even for me to listen to..."
    "Please get me out of here!"
    "My pleasure. I'm Wigan by the way..."
    "I'm 3 points.."
    "Fancy grabbing some Abrakebabra before we head?"
    "Sure :)"

And with that, Wigan leaves with that sexy little number on his arm. As it turns out, Liverpool just hadn't recovered from his born again Virgin slump and just didn't have the confidence to pull her. It's sad, because even as recent as last year, he could have had her. It might have taken some persuading, but a last minute bacardi usually sealed the deal. Now chumps like Wigan actually feel like they can compete with him - heck not just compete - they can get more pussy than him. Perhaps, just perhaps, Liverpool need to get a new shirt. As for Wigan, well, he's knee deep in clunge right now. And fair play to him, he just wanted the clunge more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

chupacabra wrote: »

quite possibly the MOTM from what i saw

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Rafas interviews are very strange these days. Bit of a wierdo

he's completely lost the plot.

that's been going on for weeks and months now.

i don't know who he's trying to impress.

he refuses to take criticism, and if any question even approaches hinting at it, he'll give a one word answer. in fact, if he feels an interview will have anything negative in it, he'll do the whole thing in one word answers.

just fire him already.

no shots on target at all for liverpool

thats disgraceful

lol the interview on ssn now is great too! "we showed character int he second half" what ****in game was he watching? he does look like a man defeated tbh....resigned almost, as if he has accepted his fate

sad to see any manager like that

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    lol the interview on ssn now is great too! "we showed character int he second half" what ****in game was he watching? he does look like a man defeated tbh....resigned almost, as if he has accepted his fate

sad to see any manager like that

true.

yet he still rolls out the same cr*p he says every week.

our performances don't change, so all i can think is that he genuinely believes what he's saying in all these post-match interviews is true, and he just gets them to keep doing what they're doing, except work harder.

i think it's safe to say, and it's no excuse for Gerrard, but Stevie has well and truly lost the will to fight for this team.

that is also sad to see.

if he has lost the will to drive the team he shouldnt be leading it though, and i would advise cashing in on him in the summer when he will net ye a great price

although, looking through the team not sure who you would give the armband to, if Masch stays then he is a candidate, Reina? i myself prefer central midfielders to be the captain, they are the engine of the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I dont think Rafa has ever conducted a single interview without the word "character"

Its his favourite word in the English language.

i prefer CMs or CBs myself, but i would want it to be Reina after Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

redout wrote: »
    I dont think Rafa has ever conducted a single interview without the word "character"

Its his favourite word in the English language.

And quality, and the phrase "working hard".

Ush1 wrote: »
    And quality, and the phrase "working hard".

fúcking 'working hard'.

of all the things he says, i do think that one annoys me the most.

basically...'if we keep running, and train to run faster for longer, we'll eventually be unbeatable.

he never talks anymore about how we pass the ball, how we create chances...oh wait...that's because we don't so that anymore.

what about "squad"? i remember when that was all he could say :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did he say they showed character again?! I would love for him to sit me down and go through a replay and show me one ounce of this 'character' because I reckon one or 'characters' might have managed a shot on goal.

ya he said *paraphrased* "we didnt play well in the first half, but we showed more character in the second half"

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    fúcking 'working hard'.

of all the things he says, i do think that one annoys me the most.

basically...'if we keep running, and train to run faster for longer, we'll eventually be unbeatable.

he never talks anymore about how we pass the ball, how we create chances...oh wait...that's because we don't so that anymore.

Yeah, I don't want to over simplify him as a manager but I reckon that's a big part of how he thinks. Or maybe he's just waxing lyrical just to have something to say, as if all other teams don't work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great result for us. Nice one Wigan.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great result for us. Nice one Wigan.

Ahh Xavi

nice to see you, would you kindly tell me how you see City fukcing up this golden opportunity to play CL football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ahh Xavi

nice to see you, would you kindly tell me how you see City fukcing up this golden opportunity to play CL football?

Mancini being way too over cautious for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

we need something at old trafford now for sure, another defeat there are its curtains for 4th ,

• Advertisement

argosy2006 wrote: »
    we need something at old trafford now for sure, another defeat there are its curtains for 4th ,

im actually pretty confident ye will leave Old Trafford with 3 points

You just know whats gonna happen. I'd rather play Liverpool in the midst of an unprecedented unbeaten run than in the middle of a crisis at this stage.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

im actually pretty confident ye will leave Old Trafford with 3 points

I hope you are right ;)

Can't see Liverpool getting 4th now, if they were in a battle with just one team for that spot, then maybe, but from what I have seen of Liverpool, they have been pretty awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For first time this season i think Liverpool are in trouble of not getting champions league spot.

Golden chance for Man City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

For first time this season i think Liverpool are in trouble of not getting champions league spot.

Golden chance for Man City

For the first time this season I think Liverpool are in trouble of not getting a Europa League spot

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    You just know whats gonna happen. I'd rather play Liverpool in the midst of an unprecedented unbeaten run than in the middle of a crisis at this stage.:mad:
    torres and gerrard could destroy vidic again, hopefully

Its almost silly how often it happens, Liverpool sink into crisis, fans on the veege of revolt. Cue big match, usually against United, massive one off performance from Pool, wolves kept from the door for another few months.

Whether that kind of existence is sustainalble in the long run is highly doubtful, but its fair annoying when you're repeatedly on the receiving end of it.:pac:

Columbia wrote: »
    For the first time this season I think Liverpool are in trouble of not getting a Europa League spot

its tight for 4th ,, man city have game in hand is all,,, its not as bad as i first thought, our run in is easy on paper, BUT SO WAS WIGAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

its tight for 4th ,, man city have game in hand is all,,, its not as bad as i first thought, our run in is easy on paper, BUT SO WAS WIGAN!

They've 2 games in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tottenham and City are ahead by 1 point, Tottenham have one game in hand, City have 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

its tight for 4th ,, man city have game in hand is all,,,
    Do you think Man City are your only rivals for 4th? Really? that's baffline, seing as Spurs currently occupy the 4th spot, and also have a game in hand over Liverpool and a better GD than both.

Then there's Villa, who are only 3 points behind Liverpool, but have 3 games in hand.

Are you totally discounting the prospects of both spurs and villa, and if so, on what grounds?

On what grounds do you see Liverpool winning more points than not one, but three other teams around them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

noodler wrote: »
    Games like this make you think we need a full scale clearout.

+1 ... including the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    Do you think Man City are your only rivals for 4th? Really? that's baffline, seing as Spurs currently occupy the 4th spot, and also have a game in hand over Liverpool and a better GD than both.

Why is 'baffling'? We are ahead of Liverpool and have two games in hand as opposed to Spurs' one. We are also level on points with Spurs and have a game in hand on them. If anything, on paper, City are in the best position at the moment as Villa can't even catch us by winning their extra game. So yeah, not quite so baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why is 'baffling'? We are ahead of Liverpool and have two games in hand as opposed to Spurs' one. We are also level on points with Spurs and have a game in hand on them. If anything, on paper, City are in the best position at the moment as Villa can't even catch us by winning their extra game. So yeah, not quite so baffling.

it wouldn't be baffling if they said City were the main contenders, but Des is saying that it is baffling to completely discount Villa and Spurts. Which it is.

article-1256488-08A35134000005DC-23_468x322.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    article-1256488-08A35134000005DC-23_468x322.jpg

:pac:

was he giving him the finger or discussing something that had happened twice?

100% giving him the fingers, was clear as day watching it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Again will he be caught for this or will the FA do like they did with shearer and say they had another camera angle etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Anyone got a link to a gif or video of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think the point Des was making was that it would be ridiculous to rule out Spurs or Villa either. And with City to play inform Birmingham, Manchester United, Arsenal and Aston Villa all after one another (not even mentioning a game vs Spurs that hasn't got a set date yet) it could go horribly wrong for them too. Swings and Roundabouts.

really or are you just joking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He was giving it the old two finger salute. He was being booked and he threw up the fingers as he walked away mouthing towards the linesman. I thought the two fingers was at the linesman though.

quarryman wrote: »
    lol :)

i was completely serious. It does look like he is giving him the fingers, as it were, but the camera can indeed lie. It would be a common way to signify '2', so he could have been saying it was only the second time, the lad has dived twice, you let them off with 2 similar incidents. anything like that.

I dislike Gerrard as much as any non-Liverpool fan, but it would strike me as odd for him to flip off the ref so clearly like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

This is a martin tyler type question but has a team ever been beaten by such a big aggregate(11 goals) margin by one team and then beat one of the traditional top four?

Advertisement