Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the 4/5 best poems to study from Longley??

Options
  • 08-03-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Hi OP. For Honours English, you have to answer the question on at least 6 poems in order to get your marks.

Longley is fairly easy if you divide his poems into the subjects he's talking about e.g. War, Nature and Love (Father/Son relationship). So you could do 6 poems, 2 on each subject:

War = Wounds, Ceasefire.
    Nature = Carrigskeewaun, Badger.
    Love = An Amish Rug, Last Requests (this poem deals more with his relationship with his father).

Hope I helped. Feel free to add to these with other subjects Longley deals with, like his love for ancient Greek and Roman mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

*giggles* wrote: »
    Hi OP. For Honours English, you have to answer the question on at least 6 poems in order to get your marks.

Longley is fairly easy if you divide his poems into the subjects he's talking about e.g. War, Nature and Love (Father/Son relationship). So you could do 6 poems, 2 on each subject:

War = Wounds, Ceasefire.
    Nature = Carrigskeewaun, Badger.
    Love = An Amish Rug, Last Requests (this poem deals more with his relationship with his father).

Hope I helped. Feel free to add to these with other subjects Longley deals with, like his love for ancient Greek and Roman mythology.

I would use most of them except Amish Rug but I use Poteen as my bridging poem between Nature and War.

You don't *have* to answer on 6 poems. I rarely do, as some poems I've studied may not fit the question I'm answering. It's a good idea to know at least 6 poems, but there's no point in talking about poems that aren't relevant to your answer just to bring them in. Or talking about 6 poems broadly in lieu of proper analysis of 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No, you can use three or four but to get good marks on Michael Longley you will need to use 5 or 6 because I think Longley is the easiest poet on the course and poems like Poteen and Badger are relatively short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

unknown13 wrote: »
    No, you can use three or four but to get good marks on Michael Longley you will need to use 5 or 6 because I think Longley is the easiest poet on the course and poems like Poteen and Badger are relatively short
    i think you can have 3 that you can talk loads about then maybe 1 or 2 others to relate to the main 3

they dont care how easy he is

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

I'd recommend picking Wreaths and Wounds as your "flagship" poems, then studyin another 3-4 in less detail, maybe Carrigskeewaun and Badger so you could discuss the theme of nature, these could then be contrasted with Self-Heal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

unknown13 wrote: »
    I think Longley is the easiest poet on the course and poems like Poteen and Badger are relatively short

That's your opinion, not SEC fact! The length of the poem isn't relevant, it's how much you can write on your insight into it that counts.

Advertisement