Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

That's the second time Louis has been on the JRE podcast, the first is well worth a listen too!

Good stories about canned documentaries into MMA, Gypsy fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

cloudatlas wrote: »

Louis on Joe Rogan. Don't like Rogan particularly but still a good listen on Scientology.

Really enjoyed that.
    Louis is such a beautiful human being.
    I love him.

It's that childlike non-judgmental inclusive curiosity thing that i'm pretty sure is not a shtick.
    It's how he really is.

He's the opposite of what's crap about humans.

Rogan is always interesting. I really like him. Dunno why people don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Australia – In cinemas now for a limited time! Get it on DVD & digital October 5 www.myscientologymovie.com.au
    Promising..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This Country lol.

It looks like Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie won't get an Irish release due to blasphemy laws
    It's looking increasingly like his highly anticipated feature film, My Scientology Movie won't be getting a release in Ireland due to blasphemy laws.

The film has a UK distributor, Altitude and is set to be released over there on October 14th. However as we reported earlier this year, an Irish distributor has yet to be confirmed and it's looking likely that none will be.

The main stumbling block seems to be Ireland's blasphemy laws and in particular the The Defamation Act of 2009. According to that piece of legislation, any "publication or utterance of blasphemous matter" against any religion is an offence and carries a fine of €25,000.

The Act does allow for a defence of work that has "genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value", which this documentary most likely will have. However it looks like there aren't any distributors willing to take a chance on the film for fear that they could be found to be in breach of the legislation.

Alex Gibney's 2015 Scientology documentary, Going Clear had similar problems and did not secure an Irish theatrical release.

We've contacted the UK distributors for confirmation on this story and will update once we have it.

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/It-looks-like-Louis-Therouxs-My-Scientology-Movie-wont-get-an-Irish-release-due-to-blasphemy-laws/385722.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Ah, Ireland.

He actually has a new documentary on Sunday on BBC2 at 9pm just called "Louis Therous: Savile"..

.. yeah, you can probably guess what it's about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Basq wrote: »
    He actually has a new documentary on Sunday on BBC2 at 9pm just called "Louis Therous: Savile"..

.. yeah, you can probably guess what it's about!

Savile Row tailoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Savile Row tailoring?

Could be Jimmy, or the Bloody Sunday inquiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

johnb25 wrote: »

All good guesses. We'll have to watch on Sunday to find out for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Savile Row tailoring?
    johnb25 wrote: »
    All good guesses. We'll have to watch on Sunday to find out for sure.

It's about how Jimmy Savile was able to get away with his crimes for so long, fooling several people around him (including Louis himself) into believing he was just a lovable eccentric family entertainer ......... it'll feature interviews with several of Savile's victims as well as people who were close to him throughout his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

adox wrote: »
    That was excellent thanks. When I saw the run time of over two hours when I clicked on the link I thought "no way am I going to listen to all this. I'll do five to ten minutes"

Ended up sitting through the whole thing and didn't notice the time going at all.

That's basically 90% of Rogan's podcasts. There are some stinkers, but most of them are very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's about how Jimmy Savile was able to get away with his crimes for so long, fooling several people around him (including Louis himself) into believing he was just a lovable eccentric family entertainer ......... it'll feature interviews with several of Savile's victims as well as people who were close to him throughout his life.

I don't think Louis bought any of his bull**** for a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I don't think Louis bought any of his bull**** for a minute

Apparently, according to Louis himself, he actually did and has felt an element of "guilt" ever since much like others in Savile's life who believed they knew him well .......... that's what the documentary is about ........ hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

My scientology movie is out on digital download in Australia next week, so yeah, expect to find it in the usual places online soon.
    If it were released/shown in Cork I'd go see in a heartbeat, but looks like above might be the only choice :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I have just started watching his shows on Netflix. Just finished watching Louis Theroux's African Hunting Holiday.
    I was so glad he did not take the shot and kill that poor innocnet animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Theroux didn't know Savile. Others did though, and they knew what he was up to....and did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ligerdub wrote: »
    Theroux didn't know Savile. Others did though, and they knew what he was up to....and did nothing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37517619

There's a long sombre written Theroux piece on the BBC website, prefacing his new Savile broadcast. Well worth a read, to get into Theroux's feelings, with the gift of hindsight.
    Louis Theroux: Looking back on Jimmy Savile
    By Louis Theroux
    BBC

---

A human being did Savile's crimes - one who charmed princes, prime ministers, leading religious figures and celebrities, not to mention the millions of people who listened to him on the radio and watched him on television.

A human being who was intelligent, sometimes amusing, and likeable, and who, by being those things, was able to fool a nation.

Amalgam wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37517619

There's a long sombre written Theroux piece on the BBC website, prefacing his new Savile broadcast. Well worth a read, to get into Theroux's feelings, with the gift of hindsight.

There were people that knew. Sure he might have had protection from the powers that be, but colleagues of his still knew.

Watching Savile on BBC 2 now , sickening stuff seeing the creepy bastard. How he behaved in the office when meeting louis theroux you'd have called the cops on him or at the least kicked him out if he was any one else.

The woman with the shed full of stuff is akin to a nazi memorabilia collector in my book, and then tries to stick her head in the sand and say many benefited from the spinal center :mad:

EDIT: My partner isn't Irish so had no idea who he was and took one look at at him and wanted to vomit

This one of the hardest things to watch I've seen in a long time. The question the lady asked of louis theroux "do you feel like he groomed you" was very striking. I applauded them for not cutting the parts when she questions him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Woman with the shed full, how can she be so in denial? Unwilling to accept the truth so she can protect her happy memories.

Almost seems like Jimmy was grooming Louis to use him as a vessel, be his new public relations guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

an upsetting and disturbing story. his victims will never be at peace knowing, he got away with it!

I think what shocked me most was how long he was active vs the numbers that have come forward while large are just the tip of the iceberg especially when you take into account the access to those with no voice as such over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Watching Savile on BBC 2 now , sickening stuff seeing the creepy bastard. How he behaved in the office when meeting louis theroux you'd have called the cops on him or at the least kicked him out if he was any one else.

The woman with the shed full of stuff is akin to a nazi memorabilia collector in my book, and then tries to stick her head in the sand and say many benefited from the spinal center :mad:

EDIT: My partner isn't Irish so had no idea who he was and took one look at at him and wanted to vomit

This one of the hardest things to watch I've seen in a long time. The question the lady asked of louis theroux "do you feel like he groomed you" was very striking. I applauded them for not cutting the parts when she questions him.

I could have written every word of the above

Those people who worked closely with him were beguiled, fascinated and enamoured by him.. and it's horrifying to see! :(

Theroux seemed really messed up by the whole thing.

The lad makes great TV though. I don't think there's ever been a thing he's put on TV that I didn't love, except maybe the Autism ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Just watched it there. Regarding the idea of Louis being "groomed", I think he was well aware his original meetings were manipulated in a sense. I think with making documentaries, subjects will always try to show their best side. The make up, the clothes, the places they take you, the rooms in their homes,how they behave etc. I think it comes with the territory. Albeit, Savile was an extreme case in this sense.

I think documentary makers are quite willing to be manipulated in this way, if it means they get the shots. They want subjects to feel as comfortable as possible, because that's when people let their guard down. It means subjects will give more of their time than usual. I don't think Louis was hoodwinked myself. He didn't know the truth, but he wasn't fooled. I think he was always suspicious of him in some way. It's why the doc happened in the first place. I think it's also telling that they kept the camera rolling for future meetings, they had hoped that they would get something, that "secret" whatever it was. Maybe they did use it for "dvd extras", but I don't believe that was the main motive for a second.

Of course, they didn't get him on camera saying anything too incriminating, but is doesn't mean it was a failure. I think Louis is just disappointed he didn't help in any real sense. He didn't make Savile particularly uncomfortable, and there weren't enough difficult questions. I think he just feels in hindsight, he had a chance to expose something, but let the victims down a little. Obviously, he doesn't need to feel like that.

I thought there was one sentence that made him come across a bit D!ckish. He said something along the lines of, "Oh if these girls had said something more to me at the time, then maybe I could have done something to help". It kind of sounded like he was blaming them from a selfish point of view. I just think this part was just edited badly though, and I think he really does wish he could have done something.

I can remember watching the original doc as a teenager for the first time. I didn't know who Jimmy Savile was, but I can remember thinking there was a "secret" too. That feeling always stuck with me whenever I later saw clips of him on TV. I can remember thinking it was a good doc at the time ,and I understood why you would have him as a subject. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it at that young age. As they said, "Quizzes are easy when you know the answer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I enjoyed it but I didnt feel it showed us anything new.

Louis is at his best interviewing the bad guys and walking them into showing themselves up. Seeing him interviewing victims doesnt have the same punch.

I was surprised he didnt push harder with the woman who was in denial although perhaps she is a victim too.

Overall, it was ok, but not Louis's best by a long shot.

It does constantly amaze me now how obvious Savile was in his creepiness when we view him in retrospect. Its a pity justice was never served when he was alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Overall, it was ok, but not Louis's best by a long shot.

I don't think it was supposed to be a hard hitting documentary. I wonder was it slightly cathartic for Louis, he certainly seems affected by the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I only caught the last 20 minutes. I didn't realise it was his PA who was defending him??? :eek:
    As was said of Theroux, he seemed to groom a lot of people within his circle who ultimately kept quiet and saw no wrong in his actions. It is such a shame he went to the grave without any sort of culpability for his vile actions.

Advertisement