Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Almost seems like Jimmy was grooming Louis to use him as a vessel, be his new public relations guy.

i think he was wary that Theroux would turn against him, thats why he kept in touch with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I don't think it was supposed to be a hard hitting documentary. I wonder was it slightly cathartic for Louis, he certainly seems affected by the whole thing.

Sure, but it felt a bit "seen it all before" to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

fryup wrote: »
    i think he was wary that Theroux would turn against him, thats why he kept in touch with him

Yes I think that is very true. Considering Saviles supposed information network, he would probably have known everything that would be going on in a normal BBC production, but felt the need to do his own snooping as Louis' team were probably a bit more secure considering the nature of their work.

The show itself was interesting and it is very uncomfortable viewing at times. The victims are remarkable people to be able to function and speak as they do.

I would have liked to see Louis have had a similar type of casual conversation with some of the old BBC/Police/Hospital/Church staff to push them a little on what they thought was happening back in Saviles hay day, but I guess the goal of the documentary was not to point the finger of blame on someone else, but just show what a manipulative character he was.
    I am sure its been said before, but seeing how he was so cosy and jovial with Maggie Thatcher and Charles and Di, is it any wonder why he seen himself as untouchable?

The PA and fundraising lady from Stoke were slightly soft targets, but still very interesting to hear from. Its amazing how the victims that spoke had such clarity on the abuse and his character, but the people closest to him just didn't want to open their mind up to the fact that they were completely hoodwinked for years too. I guess the burden of guilt that they have deep down just is too great to let rise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There is a reasonable question to ask re: Savile (and others like him) and their coincidental knighthoods. I'll say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gucci wrote: »
    Yes I think that is very true. Considering Saviles supposed information network, he would probably have known everything that would be going on in a normal BBC production, but felt the need to do his own snooping as Louis' team were probably a bit more secure considering the nature of their work.

yep, didn't he write on a piece of paper Theroux's address...even though it was ex-directory...a subtle threat by Savile i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I enjoyed it but I didnt feel it showed us anything new.

Louis is at his best interviewing the bad guys and walking them into showing themselves up. Seeing him interviewing victims doesnt have the same punch.

I was surprised he didnt push harder with the woman who was in denial although perhaps she is a victim too.

Overall, it was ok, but not Louis's best by a long shot.

It does constantly amaze me now how obvious Savile was in his creepiness when we view him in retrospect. Its a pity justice was never served when he was alive.

I thought it was interesting look of how we view culpability of idviduals/institutions/society from Louis, who on this issue was uniquely placed as someone who had a friendly relationship with Saville and was willing to accept some culpability and explore how much/which individuals were to blame. It was a bit more of a philosophical than his usual docs

I thought his questioning of his aunt at the daily mail and the BBC staff member with her dogs were interesting as both were really uncomfortable with the idea they could have changed the course of events if they had acted upon the gossip/inklings they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its on youtube there now. not sure if im allowed post links here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm one who grew up wanting to be on and have Jim Fix it for me and just thought of him being a leftover from the 60's just an eccentric man who did amazing things for people and charities.

I remember when it all started to come out that he was molesting and raping woman and girls my first reaction was nah that can't be right surely Jim is gay if these stories were about him doing this stuff to boys I probably would have believed it straight away.

Of course when the evidence became clear at the time it was quite shocking and what it opened up and then we saw all these tv and radio and music stars who my generation grew up with it was scary to be honest.

Looking at the doc last night and seeing the clip when Jim went into Louis office in his shorts and string vest was totally vile to see now as an adult who knows everything that happened. Hindsight is an amazing thing because at that time those shorts and vest were just those of that eccentric Jim'll Fix It.

When the woman asked Louis did he think Jim was grooming him I honestly think the answer to that was Jim was grooming all of us! and he did it so well through the tv screen.

That's what's really scary one dangerous nasty vile human being was able to groom 10's of millions of people through the power of just being on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I remember when it all started to come out that he was molesting and raping woman and girls my first reaction was nah that can't be right surely Jim is gay if these stories were about him doing this stuff to boys I probably would have believed it straight away.

I find that just a staggering thing to say and you said it without batting an eyelid. Appreciate your honesty though. I wouldn't want to be gay and ugly in this life or one wouldn't know what people think of you behind your back.

I think the whole notion of Savile waving his magic wand and beguiling everyone is overstated. It has a lot more to do with the attitudes of the people that surrounded him.

learn_more wrote: »
    I find that just a staggering thing to say and you said it without batting an eyelid. Appreciate your honesty though. I wouldn't want to be gay and ugly in this life or one wouldn't know what people think of you behind your back.

I think the whole notion of Savile waving his magic wand and beguiling everyone is overstated. It has a lot more to do with the attitudes of the people that surrounded him.

It was his flamboyance and dress style and the way he acted in the era of the late 70's and 80's that made most people I know believe he was gay.

It's a horrible thing to say and I consider myself a very open minded person and I wasn't the only person saying it at the time thought that was al lot of people's thought at the time that I knew.

I even think someone said similar in the doc last night that a lot of people though he was gay and the accusations against women can't be true.

You can say the whole notion is overstated but at that time he was a hugely prominent man on tv raising 10's of millions for charity and that propaganda beguiled most people which was his plan no doubt this was a guy who was Knighted and was the face of the BBC even on this Island that meant something.

The guy was a psychopath/sociopath who manipulated everybody he met and everybody who grew up watching him on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

The Savile Report states quite clearly that the BBC as a collective did not do enough to prevent Savile's predatory behaviour and that a "culture of fear" within the BBC made it difficult for people to come forward with complaints. As a corporate body the BBC was not found to be aware of Savile's abuses but as an organisation it missed a minimum of 5 opportunities to stop him. The same goes for convicted sex offender Stuart Hall. Worse even, as a number of actual BBC managers were aware of his crimes.

How Louis Theroux can ask a Mail journalist about her employer's inaction while keeping a straight face is simply beyond me. Louis the company man.

I'd say you're on your own in the staggered stakes on that one to be fair.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    The Savile Report states quite clearly that the BBC as a collective did not do enough to prevent Savile's predatory behaviour and that a "culture of fear" within the BBC made it difficult for people to come forward with complaints. As a corporate body the BBC was not found to be aware of Savile's abuses but as an organisation it missed a minimum of 5 opportunities to stop him. The same goes for convicted sex offender Stuart Hall. Worse even, as a number of actual BBC managers were aware of his crimes.

How Louis Theroux can ask a Mail journalist about her employer's inaction while keeping a straight face is simply beyond me. Louis the company man.

Is Theroux really a BBC man though? At a guess I'd say he works on a contract basis and runs his own production company. I would be very surprised if he were an employee, and assuming I'm correct I dare say his interactions with them are remote and probably infrequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ligerdub wrote: »
    Is Theroux really a BBC man though? At a guess I'd say he works on a contract basis and runs his own production company. I would be very surprised if he were an employee, and assuming I'm correct I dare say his interactions with them are remote and probably infrequent.

Its a BBC production so it was made in house.

He set up a company in 2014 called blobfish but looks like it's mostly an office as its biggest expense is depreciation on office equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I don't know the exact nature of his relationship with the BBC but based on what I saw tonight I suspect I know what it means to him.

It's a BBC production so I knew what to expect from their side. I'm just surprised to see his name on it. He's made a career out of asking important and awkward questions. Tonight he had the right question but the wrong person.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'd say you're on your own in the staggered stakes on that one to be fair.

What youz are suggesting is that if he was gay the accusations would have been taken more seriously.

That's a revolting comment and I think when people have really wrapped prejudices then that is a contributory factor to why Saville got away with it all.
    It was his flamboyance and dress style and the way he acted in the era of the late 70's and 80's that made most people I know believe he was gay.

See what happens when people adhere to stereotypes. "Oh he's just gay, leave him be". Can't ya'll see now anyone can be flamboyant and dress silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

learn_more wrote:
    What youz are suggesting is that if he was gay the accusations would have been taken more seriously.

More believable when they started to surface is how I read the comment, there was no reference to the word serious nor any implication of holding more or less seriousness.

That's a revolting comment and I think when people have really wrapped prejudices then that is a contributory factor to why Saville got away with it all.

See what happens when people adhere to stereotypes. "Oh he's just gay, leave him be". Can't ya'll see now anyone can be flamboyant and dress silly.

You seem to be reading something completely different into what I have written.

Also Saville having and letting people think he was gay was probably all part of his agenda to cover up his crimes.

When Louis asked him if he ever had a girlfriend and he no never not even for a few days the next logical question in that era would have been to ask him was he gay. This is a time when being openly gay was a career killer.

There was a don't ask don't tell going on in the media at that time.

You seem to be reading something completely different into what I have written.

Also Saville having and letting people think he was gay was probably all part of his agenda to cover up his crimes.

Don't think I am.

This idea that Savile was covering up is exactly the point. He wasn't covering up. The point is he wasn't taken up on his activities when so many knew about it. That is exactly what the scandal is about.

In exactly the same way the scandal that transpired in the catholic church is not primarily about the abuse, but the fact that is was let continue when so many knew about it.

That's the real scandal.

And to suggest that people who actually knew what he was up to can now say that they were beguiled by him is total nonsense. They totally knew , and now they are saying they didn't read him correctly because they though maybe he was gay....what bull***t.

My Scientology Movie is out there in the big worldwide web.

• Advertisement

Big fan of Louis but there is nothing new in My Scientology Movie that isn't covered in the last few very good doc released on Scientology

Going Clear covers much the same ground and is probably better over all.

Big fan of Louis but there is nothing new in My Scientology Movie that isn't covered in the last few very good doc released on Scientology

Going Clear covers much the same ground and is probably better over all.

My view exactly. Thought it was fairly shallow overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just turned it on.. Not sure what to expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was very disappointed. I feel like the whole set up/ movie piece was unnecessary. If it wasn't Louis, I would have turned it off ten minutes in. It didn't go anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Very disappointed by My Scientology movie. Very glad I did not spend money to see it in the cinema. Very little new stuff, Going Clear was miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Savile documentary for anyone interested:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

^^ Eh, is that not copyrighted material? I can't imagine it lasting on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Great episode on acquired brain injury on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Great episode on acquired brain injury on now.

Watched this one before, very good but sad also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

If you have never seen the doc he made on the American health system, it is amazing for the human storeys alone,the guy with cancer made my jaw drop,it made me realise what a great broken system we have.

Advertisement