Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich Essay

Options
  • 08-03-2010 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Anyone want to swap a Rich essay for a Boland essay - discusses themes and how she uses the personal and public in her poetry...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 xbox360MAD

yeah cool
    wanna just post in thread or email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

didnt that come up on the mock paper?

i stil have the points i made, here they are, but you'll have to develop them durther obviously!

-Eavan Bolands poetry is original and thought-provoking in my opinion. She covers many themes such as marraige, motherfood, the significance of women in society, violence, love and suburban life, all of which deal with personal and public issues. In most of her poetry, we see Boland using a personal experience to reflect on an issue of universal importance. I admire her obvious compassion for all victims of violence and oppression, and her anger at those who visit suffering and misery on innocent people. It is in my opinion that one of the reasons Eavan Boland writes poetry is her desire to be heard, and to be the voice for thos who cannot speak for themselves. She has great powers of description and her verse has an appealing visual quality. I especially like her use of everyday, conversational language-she deals with issues that matter in language anyone with any level of english can understand, therefore highlighting her desire to be heard, and this also adds to the universality of her poetry. None of Bolands poetry deals with just one theme, each poem deals with a number of themes.

-This Moment is a perfct example of this. It is a wonderfully simplistic poem which conveys the magic of an everyday event whilst dealing with the themes of motherhood and suburban life. It is very easy to relate to the central image of the poem "a woman leans down to catch a child/who runs into her arms/this moment" Boland highlights the universality of this poem by using "a". It could be any neighbourhood, any woman, any child. Nature seems to respond to the meeting of mother and child. "stars rise/moths flutter/apples sweeten in the dark" This underscores the naturalness of this special moment.

-The theme of the poem Love is also both personal and of public interest. Boland is giving us her personal experience while writing honestly about her husband, as though she is confiding in the reader.She tells us how their love grew stronger when they almost lost a child. She uses the image of "love had feather and muscle of wings" to suggest the beauty and strength of their shared love. Although Boland never comes across as a woman of few words, by using a reference to Virgils Aeneid, she suggests how impossible it can be to express intense emotion. This is a perfect example of Boland striking both public and personal themes in her poetry. We idealize the people we love, we see them as "a hero in a text" Boland offers us some words of wisdom at the close of the poem when she suggests the impossibility of ever returning to the past: "you walk away and I cannot follow"

-One of the main themes that boland uses which is of public and personal interest s suburban life. She is critical of suburban mentality in the warhorse. in this poem she uses a personal experience to reflect on an issue of wider importance. This poem becomes interesting as Boland uses the language and imagery of war to describe the destruction done by this frightening invader- a damaged leaf compared to a maimed limb, while an uproote crocus is one of the screamless dead. The desruction done by the horse is a symbol of violence in the north, which was very much a public issue at the time, still is, and probably forever will be. The image of bolands neighbours hding behind curtains suggests our uncaring attitude towards the violence in our own country. We are selfish, "we are safe"

-In contrast to the above, Child Of Our Time is a poem which makes us think about the violoence in our own country and about our responsibilty to that violence. This poem was written following the harrowing image of a dead child being carried from the scene of a bomb explosion in Dublin. Boland raises questions in this poem without the reader even realising. Why has this happened? Why have we allowed this to happen, knowing of all the troubles in the North? Why is it that we only realise how wrong we are when it is too late? Boland desires to create some sense of order and harmony from the "discord" of the childs death. It is the adults meant to be teaching the child, however, bOland almost apologizes to the child, saying that "...we must learn from you, dead." We are encouraged to learn from and rebuild around the childs broken image. Our eyes are opened to the tradegy of this childs death, when it is already too late. Boland prays for the child to "sleep in a world, your final sleep has woken"

Thats all I got :p sorry its not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

didnt that come up on the mock paper?

i stil have the points i made, here they are, but you'll have to develop them durther obviously!

-Eavan Bolands poetry is original and thought-provoking in my opinion. She covers many themes such as marraige, motherfood, the significance of women in society, violence, love and suburban life, all of which deal with personal and public issues. In most of her poetry, we see Boland using a personal experience to reflect on an issue of universal importance. I admire her obvious compassion for all victims of violence and oppression, and her anger at those who visit suffering and misery on innocent people. It is in my opinion that one of the reasons Eavan Boland writes poetry is her desire to be heard, and to be the voice for thos who cannot speak for themselves. She has great powers of description and her verse has an appealing visual quality. I especially like her use of everyday, conversational language-she deals with issues that matter in language anyone with any level of english can understand, therefore highlighting her desire to be heard, and this also adds to the universality of her poetry. None of Bolands poetry deals with just one theme, each poem deals with a number of themes.

-This Moment is a perfct example of this. It is a wonderfully simplistic poem which conveys the magic of an everyday event whilst dealing with the themes of motherhood and suburban life. It is very easy to relate to the central image of the poem "a woman leans down to catch a child/who runs into her arms/this moment" Boland highlights the universality of this poem by using "a". It could be any neighbourhood, any woman, any child. Nature seems to respond to the meeting of mother and child. "stars rise/moths flutter/apples sweeten in the dark" This underscores the naturalness of this special moment.

-The theme of the poem Love is also both personal and of public interest. Boland is giving us her personal experience while writing honestly about her husband, as though she is confiding in the reader.She tells us how their love grew stronger when they almost lost a child. She uses the image of "love had feather and muscle of wings" to suggest the beauty and strength of their shared love. Although Boland never comes across as a woman of few words, by using a reference to Virgils Aeneid, she suggests how impossible it can be to express intense emotion. This is a perfect example of Boland striking both public and personal themes in her poetry. We idealize the people we love, we see them as "a hero in a text" Boland offers us some words of wisdom at the close of the poem when she suggests the impossibility of ever returning to the past: "you walk away and I cannot follow"

-One of the main themes that boland uses which is of public and personal interest s suburban life. She is critical of suburban mentality in the warhorse. in this poem she uses a personal experience to reflect on an issue of wider importance. This poem becomes interesting as Boland uses the language and imagery of war to describe the destruction done by this frightening invader- a damaged leaf compared to a maimed limb, while an uproote crocus is one of the screamless dead. The desruction done by the horse is a symbol of violence in the north, which was very much a public issue at the time, still is, and probably forever will be. The image of bolands neighbours hding behind curtains suggests our uncaring attitude towards the violence in our own country. We are selfish, "we are safe"

-In contrast to the above, Child Of Our Time is a poem which makes us think about the violoence in our own country and about our responsibilty to that violence. This poem was written following the harrowing image of a dead child being carried from the scene of a bomb explosion in Dublin. Boland raises questions in this poem without the reader even realising. Why has this happened? Why have we allowed this to happen, knowing of all the troubles in the North? Why is it that we only realise how wrong we are when it is too late? Boland desires to create some sense of order and harmony from the "discord" of the childs death. It is the adults meant to be teaching the child, however, bOland almost apologizes to the child, saying that "...we must learn from you, dead." We are encouraged to learn from and rebuild around the childs broken image. Our eyes are opened to the tradegy of this childs death, when it is already too late. Boland prays for the child to "sleep in a world, your final sleep has woken"

Thats all I got :p sorry its not great
    I meant i have a essay about Boland and was looking for someone with a Rich essay.I sort of phrased it arse ways :rolleyes:.I absolutely hate Rich:mad::mad:

Advertisement