Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Error Cyclic redundancy check

Options
  • 08-03-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I recently got the above error message on my Iomega 1TB external Hard Drive . I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix this because all my family photos , Movies and music are stored on here and i cannot afoord to lose them as they are irreplaceable ..

If anyone knows how to fix this please help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

ok, it sounds like a disk error. You can do a scan disc from Windows depending on your flavour xp or vista. Not sure what else you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dolongit

how do i do that ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

in windows, open "my Computer" right click on the external drive and go to Properties. On the tabs you'll see "tools" in that tab there should be a tooll for error checking. Well its there in Vista, not sure if it's the same in xp. But its in there somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Press start and type "cmd" without quotes into the search bar and hit enter.(in xp you hit start > run > type "cmd")

At the command prompt type "chkdsk x: /f /r" (substitute x with the letter assigned to your drive, check in my computer if you are unsure) and hit enter.

It should take a very long time to complete it's task so I'd let it work over night if I were you.

If you are using vista/win 7 you may have to run "cmd" as the administrator.
    If you get an access denied message at the command prompt close the "cmd" window and search for "cmd" again. do not hit enter, right click in the cmd icon in the start menu and select "run as administrator". then enter the command again.

chkdsk is not the best software for this task but it is the only one I know of that you do not have to pay for. Someone else may know of a better program.

best of luck with it.

[EDIT] Or just do as Bodhan has suggested. it's exact same program.

Advertisement