Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glute Ham raise question

• 08-03-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Is there any way of doing a decent glute ham raise without a glute ham raise bench?
    They dont have one in the gym I go to but they do have a hyper-extension bench. Could I jury-rig the hyper-extension bench to perform glute ham raises?
    Really need to do these to strenghten hams and glutes.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

You can use the knee pad thing on a lat pulldown machine to hold your calves down and face outwards, cushioning your fall with your hands and pushing back up. Or you can just get someone to hold your calves down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tunguska wrote: »
    Really need to do these to strenghten hams and glutes.
    Cheers

You don't HAVE to do them. There's tons of other things you can do if you don't have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hanley wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to do them. There's tons of other things you can do if you don't have access.

I was prescribed the glute ham raise by my physio for a very specific issue Ive had for ages with my hamstring/glute area. But if you have any alternatives that would do the same job im open to suggestions

I was prescribed the glute ham raise by my physio for a very specific issue Ive had for ages with my hamstring/glute area. But if you have any alternatives that would do the same job im open to suggestions

Can your physio not suggest something else if you don't have access to one? Using a lat pulldown machine won't really give you the same effect.

Can your physio not suggest something else if you don't have access to one? Using a lat pulldown machine won't really give you the same effect.

It will if the knee pad is moved down far enough. It's actually a very ample replacement especially as most gyms don't have glut ham/reverse hyper machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

try this for a reverse hyper alternative. drop the bar on the smith machine down low, stick your head/shoulders under the bar, have exercise ball under your chest/stomach, DB between your feet, raise legs.

bad diagram attached

Untitled1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

jambi wrote: »
    try this for a reverse hyper alternative. drop the bar on the smith machine down low, stick your head/shoulders under the bar, have exercise ball under your chest/stomach, DB between your feet, raise legs.

bad diagram attached

Untitled1.jpg

How do you get out?

just roll back, you are balanced on a ball not a boulder like in the diagram

Are glute ham raises and reverse hypers the same thing?

I had that same thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

just made a quick demo vid for the OP, good variation to start off with if your just trying to strengthen up your glutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Good video - looks like arse over face is a distinct possibility though. :pac:

Just a note on GHR's on a lat pull down. I ****ed my knee doing these - the entire back of knee constantly has a weird tight sensation and my knee cap feels like its going to pop off at times. I'm working on sorting it and I'm sure it was something i did wrong, but i'd urge caution doing GHR's off a lat pull down

ragg wrote: »
    Good video - looks like arse over face is a distinct possibility though. :pac:

Just a note on GHR's on a lat pull down. I ****ed my knee doing these - the entire back of knee constantly has a weird tight sensation and my knee cap feels like its going to pop off at times. I'm working on sorting it and I'm sure it was something i did wrong, but i'd urge caution doing GHR's off a lat pull down

To be honest I've never seen that and I've had loads of people do them that way with no problems. I would say you'd experience that whether you have a partner holding them down or not. It's definately not a perfect replacement though but as I said, it is ample for those people who do not have access to a glut ham machine (which would obviously be preferable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Most likely, it's just my experience with the exercise hasn't been really positive, so im not a big fan of it...

Hanley wrote:
    d'Oracle wrote: »
    I had that same thought.

Obviously they are not exactly the same thing, and I never said they were. The exercise I mentioned would target the glutes with hams as synergist. And the OP is interested in ways to exercise hams and glutes. Therefore this exercise may be relevant to his interests.

But why let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to make a smart ass comment.

jambi wrote: »
    Obviously they are not exactly the same thing, and I never said they were. The exercise I mentioned would target the glutes with hams as synergist. And the OP is interested in ways to exercise hams and glutes. Therefore this exercise may be relevant to his interests.

But why let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to make a smart ass comment.

If you had read the OP's response to one of my posts where I suggested he might be able to do other exercises instead you'd see that he said he was prescribed GHR's for a very specific issue by his physio.

But why let they facts get in the way of an opportunity to make a smart ass comeback, eh?

If you had read the OP's response to one of my posts where I suggested he might be able to do other exercises instead you'd see that he said he was prescribed GHR's for a very specific issue by his physio.

You mean this response from the OP??

I'm well confused now.

I didn't think the reverse hyper and Glute ham raise worked even remotely similarly. Guess I was wrong.

Although looking at them, if a physio prescribed GHR's I think it would be less than helpful suggesting Reverse Hypers as the movement is not the same and you don't know what specific issue OP's physio recommended the GHR for.

For all we know the the movement around the knee could be central to what OP's physio is trying to stimulate, which would make the suggestion of reverse hypers redundant.

Happy happy, joy joy.

Thanks for all the replies everybody, I appreciate you taking time to help me out. I think Oracles suggestion and diagram is a great one

Thanks for all the replies everybody, I appreciate you taking time to help me out. I think Oracles suggestion and diagram is a great one

That was Jambi.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    That was Jambi.

My apologies, thanks Jambi.

Advertisement