Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend cheap bars and clubs?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

Can you recommend any pubs, bars or clubs that have reasonably cheap drink midweek but aren't a complete dive?

I'm fairly broke and am takin a girl out during the week. First to the cinema, then for some drinks.

Help a bruddah out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Scien wrote: »
    TramCo in Rathmines - everything for €2 on Wednesday nights.

Diceys on Harcourt St. - everything for €2 on Wednesday nights, €3 on Thursday nights and €4 on Friday nights.

Because nothing says I fancy you like a feed of €2 Bacardi breezers... :)
    Good luck!

Diceys! Scien you are a genius! That's where I kissed her first months ago.

Thanx pal :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

TramCo in Rathmines - everything for €2 on Wednesday nights.

Diceys on Harcourt St. - everything for €2 on Wednesday nights, €3 on Thursday nights and €4 on Friday nights.

Because nothing says I fancy you like a feed of €2 Bacardi breezers... :)
    Good luck!

That post is a thing of beauty.

No bother.. It's a fiver after 20:30 by the way. Still, I was there last week and at €2 a pint, it's bargain basement.

So it's free in before 8.30? See I usually look to wet the whistle around 5.30-6. Just one or two and usually pop into Peadar Kearney's or Anseo. Now I'm only looking for gargle and to sort my work out for the next day so price is top of list. Not that Anseo is cheap...I just get tired walking when right outside it.

• Advertisement

What's the place under diceys?

Is bojangles the same prices and stuff as Diceys?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

humberklog wrote: »
    So it's free in before 8.30? See I usually look to wet the whistle around 5.30-6. Just one or two and usually pop into Peadar Kearney's or Anseo. Now I'm only looking for gargle and to sort my work out for the next day so price is top of list. Not that Anseo is cheap...I just get tired walking when right outside it.

Whats the story with Peadar kearney's? Is it like some theme provo pub? Weird name for a boozer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Bambi wrote: »
    Whats the story with Peadar kearney's? Is it like some theme provo pub? Weird name for a boozer

The provos have gotten out of the theme pub market - much more money in cornering the drug market these days.;)

Doubt there's actually any serious provo/republican connection, more of just using the name.

For info on the real Peadar Kearney
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peadar_Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Take her to a wine bar like La Cave. €20 will get you a decent bottle and you won't look like a cheakskate.

Everyone will be glad to know she hasn't replied to my text about going out tomorrow! Looks like it ain't happening!

While I love my hide away until the small hours nights in La Cave I have found another absolute belter recently. The Ormond Cafe. It's on the quays on the way to Sin e (which is handy). 9.50 for a bottle plonk, really smart food. Simple and delicious and with plates starting at 4 snoots for meatballs...well hey! Piano downstairs too and a pro-active approach to promoting artists. This place deserves to be dropped in on. The 9.50 wine is bang on.

Peadar Kearney's is brilliant. Shooting up my charts as my favourite boozer. It was the 3.50 a pint before 7 that first drew me in. I was wary of it to start, well in fairness it's new but is made to look like a diddly-idle job. However there's a great mix of people in it, the owner has a great open policy for bands. OK sometimes there are ballads (which suits some people) but there's also a young blues band and more and then anyone can have a go if you can bang a tune out: fire away.
    As said, it's a good mix, quite a few country folk, good few afterworkers (like myself), ages from 20-60, clean toilets, smoking section, bar staff that on your 2nd visit will know your name and tonic. This is the way pubs should be. It's a good, decent, addition to the city's watering holes and with really competitive pricings it's showing how it can be done. It's a no nonsense, clean, affordable, friendly and lively boozer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Wow. €9.50 must be some of the cheapest per unit alcohol in the city. Not that I would care too much about that sort of thing but I'm sure many a student might.

Wow. €9.50 must be some of the cheapest per unit alcohol in the city. Not that I would care too much about that sort of thing but I'm sure many a student might.

Oh this place is far too swanky to be left to the students (people like lay-about Gav "shels" etc.). It's in what was an art gallery. Loads of space, high ceilings, large basement, big seats. It's all there, in fact one could go as far as to call it swanky. It's swanky but sensible. The owners and staff are top drawer at making one feel comfortable and one of my favourites about the place is the lovely big bar you can sit at and drink your wine at.

Good mix of sensible grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Fago! wrote: »
    Can you recommend any pubs, bars or clubs that have reasonably cheap drink midweek but aren't a complete dive?

I'm fairly broke and am takin a girl out during the week. First to the cinema, then for some drinks.

Help a bruddah out?

O'Reillys behind Tara street has pints for 3.60 and all cocktails for 5 euro.

Capitol Bar has 5 euro cocktails.

MacTuirceals on a Wednesday will have 3.50 pints and 4 euro cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Café Royale on Stephen St back down to €3 per pint (small selection though - Guinness & Heineken + ?)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fago! wrote: »
    but aren't a complete dive?

am takin a girl out during the week. First to the cinema, then for some drinks.
    esel wrote: »
    Café Royale on Stephen St back down to €3 per pint (small selection though - Guinness & Heineken + ?)

Read over the OP's post!:D

Advertisement