Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimal Tech production and DJing!

Options
  • 08-03-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before:rolleyes: but Im just after discovering Richie Hawtin:eek:....shock horror I know!:o In fairness to the guy he runs a very nice set up and the sound he makes is something I've been looking for, for quiet a while now!:D Almost a year ago I bought 2 x Pio CDJ Mk3's and a DJM 400 and I still love them because I had all my music on cd's and there easy to move from venue to venue but having seen Hawtin's set up I think I'd be advising any beginners to go that route?! I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of digital DJing and production?? He uses an A+H Xone 92 4 channel mixer along with two Xone 1.D controllers, 2x Traktor Kontrol X1 units, a Traktor Maschine and 2 Apple Macbooks, one running Traktor and the other Ableton as far as I know??:rolleyes: It is well put together but are they all necessary?? Production is something I'd love to get into but right now money is tight, Is there anyone on here that has a set up like Hawtin? How do you find it?
    Just curious really?!...so any help is appreciated!;)
    Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

hawtin is just an endorsement whore. completely over the top setup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

agreed, his set up is WAAAAAY over the top!

half the stuff doesn't get touched i'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Haha nice one!....Especially looking at the Traktor vids about him....nicely glossing over the Ableton factor!:rolleyes: I suppose the Xone 92 is necessary and maybe the two 1.D's and obviously his Macbooks but after that i dont see any use for his other gear!:rolleyes: Any music productions guys have an opinion?

Any music productions guys have an opinion?

YEP!:)

The 92, ISNT nessecary...either are the 1d's, or the macbooks for that matter.

I'm using an M audio Xponent, and later today im getting an M auto x session pro, so i'll have full control over 4 decks on traktor!

That's running off a fairly beasty laptop(AMD TURION 3.0ghz dual core, 3 gig RAM, Windows 7)

Now if i wanted to, which i dont, i could hook up another laptop with ableton...but there's no need...with 4 fully controlable decks in traktor, i wouldn't need ableton!

eeloe....just out of interest what sort of music are you working with? and what sort of work do you do with traktor and your m-audio gear?:) Personally I love electro house sort of tunes?! Kinda starting to like Hawtin's area now that I've heard him! Would that be Tech house?...:o (the novice is beaming through here):( I'd love to get into this area of music but I dont know what to buy?!:confused:
    Any advice?:confused:
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

just to point out a few things here....

1. Hawtin hasn't produced anything of any significance in a good few years now.
    2. He is a SERIOUS endorsement whore.

He has fairly lucrative deals going on with a few companies, most notably NI and Allen&Heath. I always wondered why they paid him so much but seeing this thread has answered that question.

Oh and djing and production are two separate areas. Ask specific questions about either to get any answers.

eeloe....just out of interest what sort of music are you working with? and what sort of work do you do with traktor and your m-audio gear?:) Personally I love electro house sort of tunes?! Kinda starting to like Hawtin's area now that I've heard him! Would that be Tech house?...:o (the novice is beaming through here):( I'd love to get into this area of music but I dont know what to buy?!:confused:
    Any advice?:confused:
    :D

I'm working with techno, i guess, but i like a lot of different styles of stuff...so i guess having traktor helps with being able to incorporate a lot of stuff in to a set.

4 decks of electro house, now that's what you call noise.

Hawtin is known for his minimal style(record lable called M_nus)

youtube can be your friend here in discovering new music....

as Jt said, he's getting paid a lot of money to front NI and A&H, you DONT need to buy the most expensive gear you can to get the best results, work with what ya have first, and then if you feel you need more control, upgrade!

Also, i think a mod should move this to the D-E-DJing section, as it's not really fitting in with the production side of things!

Hmm? sorry....maybe this should be in DJing?!:rolleyes: But in any case thanks for the advice!:) My main problem is finding tracks....:( There are some cracking tunes from all area's on the online stores! But I rather buying cd's than downloading especially in this situation, I think its easier to build a collection from 12 tracks on a cd compared to one here and there from downloads! Any ideas on who to look for in the lines of techno....minimal and electro?? I know thats probably a massive area but some advice would be great thanks!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Well if you're looking for Richie Hawtin's decent stuff I'd recommend "Sheet 1" that's easily his best album, its great stuff. Thats under his Plastikman name. I don't think he ever returned to the quality of that album to be honest, although "Decks EFX and 909" is a great mix cd but not his own stuff.

Cheers for that!:D While I'm here does anyone know where I can get unmixed albums for my own use?? Mixed albums are just no good to work with!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The best place to get "unmixed" albums, is to buy "singles"....

Everysong is available online, through beatport, junodownload and many many more record sites..and buying digital files is a lot easier and cheaper than buying CD's, as you can buy the actual tracks you like, and not buy 100 CD's and only like maybe 50 tracks from all of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I am using an I mac 24" 4gb ram, akai mpk61 midi keyboard, akai apc40 (best €400 ever spent) midi controller for djings and playing live stuff, all that runs from my mac to Allen & Heath 12fx (small multichannel desk for studio and live set ups) which feeds the sound to my Mackie MR8 studio monitors. I am using Logic 8, Reason 4 and Ableton 8 suite for me producing and dj gigs.

I was so close to buyin a xone 4d, had the money from my grant to get it but when the apc40 arrived I decided to spent the money on a decent crown amp, pair of 450 w monster speakers and the mixing desk instead.

I am probably goin to be slated here but if you want a serious setup and money is tight then consider the apc40 to run ableton.

Advertisement