Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just recieced civil bill ??

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi to all, just an inquiry re a debt i have with the credit union. I received a Civil bill statement in the post this morning telling me i have ten days to present myself at the county registrar, the post was 7 days old which means i have 3 days to get in and do what needs to be done. The problem is i dont understand what this exactly means?? Its all legal jargle that i dont understand. What happens when i go to the registrar? am i then summonsed to the district court and ordered to pay back the amount in full? Will i be sentenced in the near future for not being able to repay my debt to the credit union?
    To cut a long story short i took out a loan with them during the goodtimes, i was employed at the time but lost my job shortly after. So i am on Social Welfare at the moment, paying rent etc and the usual bills and living on bread and butter more a less and cant afford to pay the full amount back straight away. I'm sure i'm not the only person out there with this kind of debt so i was hoping some of you may be able to advise me as to what i should expect to happen next... any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Hi to all, just an inquiry re a debt i have with the credit union. I received a Civil bill statement in the post this morning telling me i have ten days to present myself at the county registrar, the post was 7 days old which means i have 3 days to get in and do what needs to be done. The problem is i dont understand what this exactly means?? Its all legal jargle that i dont understand. What happens when i go to the registrar? am i then summonsed to the district court and ordered to pay back the amount in full? Will i be sentenced in the near future for not being able to repay my debt to the credit union?
    To cut a long story short i took out a loan with them during the goodtimes, i was employed at the time but lost my job shortly after. So i am on Social Welfare at the moment, paying rent etc and the usual bills and living on bread and butter more a less and cant afford to pay the full amount back straight away. I'm sure i'm not the only person out there with this kind of debt so i was hoping some of you may be able to advise me as to what i should expect to happen next... any advise would be greatly appreciated.

by the sounds of it the bank is seeking a judgment against you in the courts (specifically the circuit court). Have you been in contact with the bank and tried paying something back or enter into some arrangement. The civil bill is served on someone when commencing proceedings in the circuit court. #

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/civil-law/civil_bill

i would advise to contact the creditor and see if they can adjourn the matter if you will make payments. If the matter goes to court there will not be an actual public hearing unless you intend to defend the matter (you must put in your notice of intention to defend, this is basically if you dispute that you owe the money). The ability to repay is not taking into consideration when a judgment is being obtained so no point advising your financial means as the jduge would not be interested in hearing it. if no defence is put in then a judgment by default will be given and no actual hearing in court. A de

Sounds like they are seeking a judgment and this is basically a rulling stating you owe the money and thats that and legal costs would be added. After they get this they can seek installment orders and pass to sheriff to call out to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Ricardo have you been in contact with the Credit Union explaining your difficulties and proposing a solution? If you haven't, first thing you need to do is ring MABS.

They will not only be able to give you immediate advise, but if you can arrange a meeting with them they will go through a whole range of budgeting options with you, and propose a repayment plan to any of your creditors.

In terms of the Civil Bill, I'd be calling your local citizens information centre in the morning to get some advice. With luck, they will have someone on hand who can offer you free legal advice. Most likely, the credit union will go ahead will their action and you will be given a repayment order which you must adhere to. You won't be asked for the amount in full, they will look at what you can afford to pay(this will be based on a very strict budget).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I have'nt been onto the credit union to arrange payments to be honest but i would imagine its probably too late at this stage?? I will contact MABS first thing in the morn and citizens advise. What happens when i go the county registrar in the next few days? do i need to talk to someone or is it purely to sign forms acknowledging i owe the money? I really do not understand the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

I have'nt been onto the credit union to arrange payments to be honest but i would imagine its probably too late at this stage?? I will contact MABS first thing in the morn and citizens advise. What happens when i go the county registrar in the next few days? do i need to talk to someone or is it purely to sign forms acknowledging i owe the money? I really do not understand the procedure.

I honestly don't know exactly what will happen in the next few days, I'm not involved in that side of the process. Both the citizens information centre and MABS should be able to talk you through exactly what will happen though.

Sorry I can't be more help, not a nice situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

thanks for the info, i'm an idiot to be honest i left it go for as long as possible knowing full well this would happen at some stage, now the ifs and buts are racing through my mind !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

thanks for the info, i'm an idiot to be honest i left it go for as long as possible knowing full well this would happen at some stage, now the ifs and buts are racing through my mind !!

I would go in straight away and try come to an agreement. From my experience its never too late. they dont want to take you to court but have been left with no choice as you havent been in contact with them. So you are best to give them another option and make an arrangement with them.

Advertisement