Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Cullen Resigns

• 08-03-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Martin Cullen has just announced he is to resign as both a minister and a TD due to health problems , which means we are going to have a by-election in Waterford.http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0308/cullenm.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm sorry that he is resigning on health grounds as I had always hoped he be fired for being a waste of space! Is he resigning as a TD too? I hope not as it would be more entertaining to see the useless tosser lose his seat - then again the voters of Waterford probably think he's a wonderful fellow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

[QUOTE=Judgement Day;64817084 then again the voters of Waterford probably think he's a wonderful fellow. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

just like Tipp Voters thought Michael Lowry was lovely, Limerick Voters thought Willie O'Dea lovely

so what's your point - trying to knock all Waterford People for electing him - he only got Waterford it's fair Share of the national cake nothing more nothing less as we were overlooked for most of the existance of this state

BTW - stop trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I wouldn't wish him ill-health but I'm not sorry he's gone, both from his post as Minister and as TD. I could never find a word he said believable - if he stood in front of me and told me that his name was Martin Cullen, I'd find it unbelievable.

He's widely credited with getting Waterford their bypass and the motorway to Dublin but somehow I'm not so sure he was responsible. Arklow and Gorey got their bypasses too and our TDs in Wexford are not worth much. Its civil servants who run these things - politicians are only there to take the glory, and the votes, as credit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I wish him a speedy recovery and a healthy retirement. For all the opinions on his time in office, he was clearly committed to the cause.

I don't think this government are going to allow us to have our full representation though. I dont think we'll get a by-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A by-election should liven things up assuming we are allowed to have one before the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Can they possibly not have a bye-election?

Best of Luck to Minsiter Cullen in his retirement & I hope his health recovers.

He got a ****e deal of the D4 media ... & I believe that Waterford would not have gotten the same investment from Govt if it wasn´t for him .... the original plan was to have a motorway from Dublin to Rosslare .. it was Cullen who got it to Waterford & he was very important in getting the Tall Ships funding twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Jeez thats a shame. Who's gonna be money-waster-general now?

A.

Paudie Coffee must be strong favourite for the seat!

who would FF´s Candidate be?
    Yer man from Tramore for the Greens?
    Mansfield for the Shinners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bards wrote: »
    just like Tipp Voters thought Michael Lowry was lovely, Limerick Voters thought Willie O'Dea lovely
    I don't particularly consider either of those things to be good either.

Why do so many muppets still think the e-voting was Cullens idea?

He just happened to be the minsiter when the machines were delivered. he didn´t order them.

Upgrade WIT to University NOW & Grianna Fail can have my vote ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

No loss.

Poor politician.
    Dreadful minister.

Opportunist : remember he was a defector to the PD initially.

Good riddance to his kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery to full health but that has little to do with his political achievements. A former PD, latterly FF minister who presided over the e-voting fiasco, the Aer Lingus privatisation, the closure of Waterford Glass etc. etc....his legacy a good road to Dublin so you can all get out of Waterford fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Trotter wrote: »

I don't think this government are going to allow us to have our full representation though. I dont think we'll get a by-election.

Can this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

should there be a by election...I thought theres an embargo on recruitment ... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

KevIRL wrote: »
    Can this happen?

The people of Donegal have been waiting for a long time for their by-election. The government can delay it indefinitely it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I suggest we all boycott the ballot to let Dublin know what we think of their century of neglect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

meldrew wrote: »
    Martin Cullen has just announced he is to resign as both a minister and a TD due to health problems , which means we are going to have a by-election in Waterford.http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0308/cullenm.html

Any word about this yet? I live in Dublin, and word is Lee's seat will go empty up here until the next general

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Came across this on one of the other boards
    http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/martin-cullen-1987/
    i thought it was gas!
    Talk about changing your tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I'm glad to see the back of the turncoat. The snivelling shıt has trousered 140K euros tax free lump sum, plus a 100K euro per year pension. He cost the country millions with his crap electronic voting system, and lined the pockets of his cronies with the ongoing storage charges for the same. And what, exactly, did he do for Waterford? SWEET F.A. - just ask any of the glass factory workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

yeah good riddance and its laugable that people actually belive he was responsable for the new road and motorway..... I can remember DIck Dowling showing us the plans in DLS college back in mid 90s when we were doing our leaving cert, so hardly MArtin Cullens Baby as the local media would want you to belive....

he did nothing only line his own pockets...... suppose cant blame him, they are all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

Martin Cullens resignation is a huge blow to waterford and the region as a whole. it will be generations before waterford have representation at the cabinet table. He gave his life to politics and i think it is an awful reflection on our country as a whole the way he was hounded by the media. People forget that public reps have feelings and a family, the way he was treated was terrible. I am sure he has some regrets giving his best years to politics and the effect it had on his family life. The media in this country have a lot to answer for. I wish him and his family well in his retirement.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I suggest we all boycott the ballot to let Dublin know what we think of their century of neglect.

So for all those people that fought for your right to vote your going to basically spit on them and not vote at all?

Its times like this that it seems their work was worth it
    :rolleyes:

There is something that should be done and thats agitate for a by-election to be moved as quickly as possible. You just know the government will hold off as long as they can, Donegal South West has been waiting for one ever since Pat the cope Gallagher left for Europe.

Will we all sit tight and with 3 reps for the next 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisedol wrote: »
    Martin Cullens resignation is a huge blow to waterford and the region as a whole. it will be generations before waterford have representation at the cabinet table. He gave his life to politics and i think it is an awful reflection on our country as a whole the way he was hounded by the media. People forget that public reps have feelings and a family, the way he was treated was terrible. I am sure he has some regrets giving his best years to politics and the effect it had on his family life. The media in this country have a lot to answer for. I wish him and his family well in his retirement.

I don't thik anybody's said anything about the media's treatment of him being ok. What people have said is that they don't think he did a whole lot for the city during his time in office. I would tend to agree with the majority here.

He always seemed like just another yes man for the government. He didn't start the electronic voting saga but he sure as hell didn't end it soon enough. He did nothing to help the Waterford Crystal Workers. He didn't get any significant movement on university status for WIT. He was invisible in the fight for radiotherapy for the South East.

Considering the amount of time he's spent as a minister, Waterford has stood still for the most part, if not gone backwards. I don't think anyone can argue that his tenure as a Waterford TD will be remembered for good things for this city. So while you say it will be generations before we have representation at the cabinet table again, I say that we may as well not have had representation in all the time Cullen was there for all the good it did us.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I don't thik anybody's said anything about the media's treatment of him being ok. What people have said is that they don't think he did a whole lot for the city during his time in office. I would tend to agree with the majority here.

He always seemed like just another yes man for the government. He didn't start the electronic voting saga but he sure as hell didn't end it soon enough. He did nothing to help the Waterford Crystal Workers. He didn't get any significant movement on university status for WIT. He was invisible in the fight for radiotherapy for the South East.

Considering the amount of time he's spent as a minister, Waterford has stood still for the most part, if not gone backwards. I don't think anyone can argue that his tenure as a Waterford TD will be remembered for good things for this city. So while you say it will be generations before we have representation at the cabinet table again, I say that we may as well not have had representation in all the time Cullen was there for all the good it did us.

amazing - yet people living outside the South East bemoan the amount of investment he got for Waterford

both side can't be right

The trick is to seperate out what would have happened anyway and what would not.

Clearly bias is at play, if you are in a given constituency a TD will never have done enough, while the opposite will be the view from outside (someone texted a radio prog this morning from Tipp bemoaning the N24, Tipp Institute etc).

Anyway its all old news now. We are where we are and Cullen is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Bards wrote: »
    amazing - yet people living outside the South East bemoan the amount of investment he got for Waterford

both side can't be right

Well if people from outsdie the area say it, of course it must be true. Those of us who live here and feel that he's been an underperforming minister can't possibly be right.

Like mike said, anything we did get was long overdue. On the things that really mattered, Cullen was anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Get well soon Martin Cullen, such a shame you're the personification of all thats wrong with Irish politics.

Still a better pol then John Dubya Deasy mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

MC was going anyway this was only an honourable discharge with the usual golden handshakehe may have a sore back but all the time theres 2 serving tds already attending the dail in wheelchairs who are'nt "resigning"
    harney must be next for the big chop for equal if not greater cock-ups...

• Advertisement

No - the worst minister for Health we ever ever had was Michael Martin - for every problem he got an expert report comissioned, at an average cost of €100,000 per report (and he had over 100 of these done) so that little waste of space cost us (the taxpayer) €10M

also during his tenure we had the PPARS which cost another €150m

at least Harney got Prof Tom Keane to set up the 8 Cancer Centres which WRH is one and has done a Very good job and is now going to take on the role of CEO of the HSE which Brendan Drumm has done a miserable bad job at.

Also his Number 2 when he was in Canada is going to take over his role in Cancer Care so hopefully things will get better

Last thing we need right now is a politician who is going to give into the Health Service Unions

Advertisement