Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Hitler have won if......

• 08-03-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Japan had not bombed Pearl Harbour thus the absence of the American military behemoth,but also the question everybody ponders,if Hitler had not invaded the USSR?I believe he would have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd say the Americans would have gotten involved sooner or later. FDR was trying to bring the US in for ages but was limited to sending aid to the Allies. Pearl Harbour acted as more of an excuse to join in.

The US has traditionally been non-interventionist but with a THird Reich that was looking increasingly menacing and imperialist, I doubt the US would stand idly by and risk such a large threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Without question it was a huge error to try and fight on 2 fronts - had Hitler knocked Britain out of the war ( possibly via a negotiated peace ) I believe he would then have been free to give his full military resources in the war againts the USSR and he probably would have won.

Would the US have joined the war against Germany anyway ? I doubt it , while there is little doubt that FDR would have wanted to fight the Nazis it is highly debatable as to whether American public opinion would have supported this move , by declaring war on the US Hitler at a stroke emasculated the hitherto extremely powerful isolationist lobby. Hitler played right into FDR's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I think Hitler would have lost the war because NAZI-ism is a flawed idealogy.
    Hitler's decisions where final. It did not matter how wrong or right he was.
    He decided end of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This is from memory but I had read that Hitler in declaring war on the US had assumed his new ally would have attacked the Soviet Union - thus drawing off the Russian Siberian regiments. Japan however did not, and the freed-up regiments arrived to defend Moscow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, but it was well known at that stage that the Japanese didnt want to tangle with the soviets, this had been established in Northern China early in the thirties when the Soviets handed the Japs their collective Arses on a plate.

I Always found itr strange tha the Americans went to War against Naziism in defence of Communisim, then had the reds undser the Bed of the 50's I think Hitler believed that even tho Rosevelt disliked the NAzis the American People disliked Communisim more.

So IMO Hitlers undoing was to declare war on America, had he not done that and manageds to bget the Brits to capitulate they could have launched an all out offensive East, The Russians wouldnt have had american assistance either so all in all it would have been a fairly certain but Extremley bloody victory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pimpmyace

it was never going to happen there was to many people close to him who did not agree with his tactics (as time went by)

the fight in the sea could of sealed the deal for him but he did not listen to his advisers (when he did it was to late)

his view to spend time building massive war ships took to long

keep them simple and strike fast with deadly consequence seemed to be to easy.

Advertisement